Can I use WIFI on ship for free?

kms8066

And it is very very expensive. Most cruise lines sell time by the minute and also in packages with the most expensive (least minutes) generally going for about 60 cents a minute. With packages of lots of minutes the cost comes down to around 40 cents per minute (this varies by cruise line). But the situation is much worse then it appears since internet service on cruise ships is normally very slow. It can sometimes take us 15-20 minutes just to download our daily e-mails. Trying to browse on the web can be worse and it can sometimes take minutes (not seconds) to lead a web page. Most crew, even thought they pay much cheaper rates, have learned to do any internet business while in ports.

Hank

Email use is much better if you have a program like Mozilla Thunderbird so you can download your email and read your messages after you disconnect, and also plan to use the wireless internet in the early morning or late at night when there are likely to be fewer passengers using the bandwidth available.

I didn't find that email used a lot of my internet package - it was more when I decided to visit Facebook or CruiseCritic and ended up browsing for 15 minutes without realizing it.

I didn't bother with onboard internet access until I got to the past-passenger tier where my wife and I each received a couple of hours of access time as a perk (third cruise on Cunard).

I had a work emergency come up while I was waiting to board Liberty of the Seas back in February, so I had to go straight in to work mode on my laptop when I got on board, answering e-mails in a flurry before we ever left dock. The Internet was expensive, but I have (sadly) seen worse. I had no issues with speed, but I have a feeling I was just about the only person who was on it...everyone else was actually enjoying the start of their trip ;)

I had a work emergency come up while I was waiting to board Liberty of the Seas back in February, so I had to go straight in to work mode on my laptop when I got on board, answering e-mails in a flurry before we ever left dock. The Internet was expensive, but I have (sadly) seen worse. I had no issues with speed, but I have a feeling I was just about the only person who was on it...everyone else was actually enjoying the start of their trip ;)

Crew/officers/staff also use the ship's WiFi..... :) not just the guests.

Princess used to have free Internet for their cruisers -- Elite members. But so many are now Elite that they have discontinued that perk.

Kirk, You are right that they did away with unlimited free internet. But, as of the last time we were on Princess (we are Elite with them) we still got 260 min (each) for free. So with those 520 minutes (this would cost over $300 on most cruise lines) we had no complaints and plenty of extra minutes.

Hank

Princess used to have free Internet for their cruisers -- Elite members. But so many are now Elite that they have discontinued that perk.

What Princess discontinued was unlimited internet for anyone (regardless of Captain Circle status) staying in a full suite. The benefit of a free package of minutes (not unlimited) for Platinum and Elite members remains--amidst many rumors that it too will end sometime in 2013.

WI-FI is the wireless connection between our satellite dish and your mobile device.

That service is free on all modern cruise ships.

But if you want to use our free WI-FI to connect to the internet via our satellite link, you will need to pay us quite a bit of money to do it.

Archived