Jeans in dinning room Questions please!

mabell2

We are sailing on Star Princess next Saturday to Alaska. My husband is dying to know if he can wear jeans at dinner in the dinning room?? I was hoping Alaska cruises would be a little more casual after being out touring all day. Thank you! :)

We are sailing on Star Princess next Saturday to Alaska. My husband is dying to know if he can wear jeans at dinner in the dinning room?? I was hoping Alaska cruises would be a little more casual after being out touring all day. Thank you! :)

On casual days, yes, on formal - not sure.

If you go to the Princess website you'll see that jeans are okay for smart casual nights unless torn or frayed. If I wanted to wear them on a formal night then I'd dine at the buffet or other casual dining venues out of respect for those in the MDR who follow the formalwear guidelines.

If you go to the Princess website you'll see that jeans are okay for smart casual nights unless torn or frayed. If I wanted to wear them on a formal night then I'd dine at the buffet or other casual dining venues out of respect for those in the MDR who follow the formalwear guidelines.

I pay $300 for frayed jeans!! They better be allowed in the dining room!:D

Does not matter what you paid for it (mine were $ 20.00), if they are frayed then (according to the Princess website) they should not be worn during dinner in the dining room. ;)

Theo

Maybe leave the price tag on them? :D That is more than I paid for my suit! ;)

It does say "Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn".

How it's enforced may vary & my experience has been that crew uses discretion on how it's enforced. Those with nice frayed jeans with a collared shirt would more likely be allowed than someone wearing a ragged tee-shirt.

Assuming that you are really serious, leave the price tag on to show that you paid way too much money for seriously bad looking jeans. After they stop laughing at you, they will probably turn you away.

I was on a Princess ship in AK and on formal night, a family came in for dinner. The mother and child were appropriately dressed. The father has nice looking un-frayed jeans and was told that his dress was inappropriate and he was turned away. I told the hostess that I was proud of her and I would and did write her up as a very good crew member on the crew recommendations.

DON

On my last cruise, I did bring a pair of skinny black jeans that actually looked nice on me (not loose like jeans would) and I paired it with a nice looking shirt for dinner, but only on smart casual. The other pair of jeans I brought were for day wear only (the first couple and last couple of days tended to be cool on that itinerary).

On our one Alaskan cruise, back in 2004, I noticed that there were a lot of tuxes on formal nights. Definitely didn't seem more casual than on other cruises, but maybe that has changed over the years.

As long as the jeans are in good shape, they are ok for causal evenings. Not for formal nights.

I wasn't aware that Princess had "casual" evening dining, I thought it was "smart casual" clothing like you would wear if you decided to go out for the evening to eat at a dining restaurant.

If you don't want to dress appropriately on formal night, that's fine, so just go to the buffet. Or do as a lot of people do, change into something more comfortable after dinner. I also do not like wearing a shirt, tie , and jacket very long.

Just back yesterday from our Alaskan cruise and only saw or wore jeans on the first night. After that, people were dressed very nicely even on smart casual nights.

The level of formal was quite less than on previous cruises. I only saw a few tuxes and ladies in fancier attire. Much more relaxed for the ladies on this cruise. I left the sequins home and did not look out of place at all.

Sue

If it's not formal night I wear jeans and see lots of others wearing jeans. Cruising has become lass formal in recent years.

I wore jeans in the dining room for several nights (out of 14 on our Island Princess Alaska cruises last year. I was not alone. If we took the time to change before dinner, I would put in slacks, but, often, the ship is in port late and we would eat dinner upon our return to the ship before returning to our cabin to watch beautiful sailaways.

Not only was my attire compliant with guidelines but the world did not stop rotating on its axis.

Jeans in good condition are allowed in the dining room on Smart Casual nights. Whether they are appropriate or not is a moot point: they're allowed. Perhaps it's a generational or geographic difference whether one feels jeans should be allowed. It doesn't matter. It's done, it's in print.

I wear washable linen pants in the evenings. They're lightweight, insanely comfortable and can be dressed up or down. Unless I've been on an all-day tour, I enjoy dressing up in the evening. Perhaps because I spent many years really dressed down at work in jeans and t-shirt or sweater. Who knows? I've found that even here in SoCal, people dress up to at least Smart Casual in the evenings when going out to dinner. And pretty close to Formal for the theater or concerts.

Jeans in good condition are allowed in the dining room on Smart Casual nights. Whether they are appropriate or not is a moot point: they're allowed. Perhaps it's a generational or geographic difference whether one feels jeans should be allowed. It doesn't matter. It's done, it's in print.

I agree & this is the bottom line...jeans in good shape meet the Princess Smart Casual clothing recommendations so why should it bother anyone.

If it's a big issue for anyone then maybe seek a cruise line that doesn't allow jeans if it's so bothersome to them. It doesn't matter why someone decides to wear jeans or if it doesn't meet anyone's definition of "smart" because it's in writing that Princess allows them on Smart Casual evenings.

Archived