Which cruise line for on-board lectures?

delily

Regent Seven Seas has lectures on their cruises. Last year the lecturer on Navigator was outstanding . She had a wealth of knowledge about the ports history of the people , wildlife, scenery. We were always treated to a commentary as we left each port, describing what to look for as we sailed. I don't remember her name , but she was very well educated and greatly enhanced our cruise experience.

In addition to all the above, oceania has had some excelleent lectures. lectures on cruises seem to be hit or miss. No telling what you will get at any given time. Alaska and Panama Canal usually have some really good ones.

Swan Hellenic and Voyages to Antiquity pride themselves on their lecture programs. They have noted lecturers (not just one; in fact, usually 3) on every cruise to provide context -- everything from the nature of the region to its history to religious and cultural issues that affect the region currently.

I have never experienced anything nearly this caliber on other, mass market lines.

I have sailed with HAL (twice) and Princess (twice) in Europe and have never had a devoted lecturer on any of the cruises. On the Princess Baltics cruise we were treated to some excellent lectures by the then-Cruise Director John Lawrence -- but that was only because it was the Romanovs and Russian history were areas of interest for him.

Besides all of the lines that were mentioned already, any of the "expedition" type cruises will have one or more expert lecturer's.

Indeed, that is often the only 'entertainment' some of them will provide....

Besides all of the lines that were mentioned already, any of the "expedition" type cruises will have one or more expert lecturer's.

Indeed, that is often the only 'entertainment' some of them will provide....

:D Sort of Funny ^^ ABOVE ^^!

LuLu

~~~~

Silversea's does because my niece did lectures on the Silver Whisper. She's a college professor.

Hmm...now there's an idea. My husband is a retired college professor. He'd probably enjoy doing that.

On my HAL partial transit of the Panama Canal, there was a very good series of lectures concerning the ports of call. We were frankly dazzled by it and considered it one of the highlights of the cruise.

On NCL it seems to vary by the length of the itinerary. On my 14-day South American cruise I attended a series on the history and geology of Tierra del Fuego. On the 14-day Med cruise there was a series of lectures on each of the ports of call. (It was good, but not great.) On the 14-day Norway-Iceland-Faroes cruise my husband enjoyed a series of lectures on the history of the railroad in the American West.

I've only seen lectures on a 7-day NCL cruise once. On a Western Caribbean itinerary in 2008, a visiting history professor gave several lectures on the history of the Caribbean. The last in the series was about the life and times of Bob Marley.

• 2 months later...
R.I.P. Sir David.

Yes, indeed; thoughts to his family, and all who are sailing on the QE at the moment. It seems to have been a great shock. He was a big part of our youth in the '60s, with That Was The Week That Was, and so much more.

Archived