What is the average weight gain on a cruise?

smellycruzer

I usually diet before I cruise and take off 5 lbs. That way I can enjoy what I want and don't have to worry about it and my clothes don't get tight or uncomfortable. I don't eat huge meals on a cruise, but do like to nibble and snack much more that I do at home and that tends to add up.

I am part of the "Depends on the cruise" crowd. Our Med cruise was filled with long and very active days as there was so much to see at every port. Can't imagine just how far we walked during our time in the many ports. No weight gain at all.

On the other hand, the other cruises were not nearly as active with more sea days and about a pound per day is about right.

Definitely the way I prepare for a cruise is to set a workout schedule and weight goal before we leave. I have a good elliptical in my home office..

Also always use the stairs and the grand ships with the Promenade that goes all the way around 2 laps is almost a mile. :cool:

I gain 5 to 7 pounds on a 20 day cruise all the time. It takes me a week to ten days and it's gone once I get home. I walk at least 10 to 12 miles a day five days a week all the time. On the cruise (0) I'm on vacation!!!

Tony

I've never gained an ounce on a cruise. We always get aft cabins so we have to walk pretty far around the ship to get anywhere. We usually take active excursions and stay active on the ship too. I don't worry about what I eat because I'm on vacation! ;) But I don't eat more than when at home and try to keep sweets to a minimum.

I love eating, especially dinner and while I generally do everything, I usually stick eith seafood for my entree. Don't enjoy breakfasts and try to avoid Horizon Court. I do enjoy the little dishes at the international cafe and some of the appetizers in the Platinum/elite lounge. It's not trying to diet, but I do like to be hungry at dinner. One big mistake we made was ordering tea for two in our room. It was delicious, with nice little sandwiches, scones, cakes,etc. but we were way too full to go to dinner that night and weren't even hungry for breakfast. Usually come home with five extra pounds, but it does away quickly.

I have never gained weight on a cruise. And I've taken a lot of cruises. I don't exercise but eat what I want when I want. I eat in the buffet, dining room where I order multiple courses, Alfredo's, Prego, IC, etc.

That said, I taste everything but finish only what's really good. I stop eating when I'm no longer hungry, not when I'm feeling full. I don't eat breads and don't like cakes or many desserts although I'm a chocolate hound. I love salads and usually make myself a small chef's salad for lunch and sometimes, I order a plain salad with grilled chicken for my dinner entree. Speaking of entrees, I often order meats without sauces, steamed vegetables and/or a baked potato instead of creamy or saucy starches.

The bottom line is to be sensible. Treat yourself but also pace yourself. Allow yourself to be picky about what you eat.

Personal experience

7 day cruise = 10lbs

30 day cruise = 10lbs

Overeating seems to level out for me after a week or so, and I go back to normal habits.

My tricks,

Don't over eat at breakfast, most days I stay with a bowl of cereal w/fruit and coffee.

Don't over eat at lunch, stay with what you normally eat at home.

Generally dine in the evening in the DR. The portions aren't really that large.

Don't feel you must eat 3 full meals each day.

Limit the tropical drinks that are full of sugar.

This leaves space for the ice cream, pizza, cookies and other goodies.

if you wait at least a week after you get off the ship.......

I find it is time enough for your body to adjust from drinking the desalienated water...

I do not gain on a cruise.

I try to balance my choices and treats.

I try to use the stairs as much as possible and also try to take my nano on the

Promenade and walk....

Bernadette

If you're concerned about gaining weight, stay away from the buffet. Its just too tempting. And, there is salt in just about everything that's on the buffet, up to and including scrambled eggs and oatmeal. You may not taste it, especially if you're used to salt in your food, but its there. Besides eating larger portions, the salt is also responsible for some of that 1 lb. a day weight gain.

We have never gained weight on a cruise. But we don't overeat because we do not like to feel "stuffed".

Usual routine is breakfast at the HC, lunch at Alfredo's, IC, grill, Prego's, or Pub lunch, and dinner at the MDR. Maybe a soft serve ice cream once in a while or a gelato we share, but not an every day occurrence.

Breakfast around 7:30 to 8:00; lunch around 12:00 noon, and dinner when the ATD opens. Nothing to eat after dinner. One or two alcoholic drinks per cruise.

We are going on a cruise next year. It's my first in about twenty years. I don't remember gaining any weight last time but I am older and slower now. I'm concerned about these five course meals. Is it rude to skip a course? We will be on a HAL. Are the portions small?

Actually husband and I eat what ever we want when we cruise but: we take stairs as much as we can, we always walk ALOT on sea days and we drink ALOT of water.

On our last cruise I actually lost 3 pounds and my husband lost 7 lbs.

When I recently sailing on Emerald Princess I was a bit dismayed but an embarrassing but all-too-common problem - I gained 7 pounds over the course of the week. Does this ever happen to anyone else? Seems like a pound a day is on par for me for a seven day cruise. I like HC and Cafe Caribe and Sabatini's but IMHO I don't really overdo it! I usually go to the main dining room for dinner and if the food isn't great I hit the HC for a snack.

Is the ice cream/gelato that Princess serves what is killing me? The MUTS popcorn is another culprit.

2-3 lbs for me and the DW, and we hit the gym every sea day. We didn't once visit the buffet but 3 sitdowns, tea, and snacks still do something... we just work it off when we get back :D

I was onboard the Emerald Princess for 25 days last Fall and I gained one pound. I was determined because I recently took off 15 lbs. and know how easy it is to back track.

I had a cabin on Plaza, rarely went to the buffet, maybe 5 times the whole cruise mostly for a bowl of fruit after my coffee and roll in the International Café. I ate lunch at the IC every day, they have great salads, sandwiches. I never had any ice cream, I did have a cookie or two. I chose my dinner items carefully, did have desert, but then I was done, no other snacks in the evening. I walked every day, and did not use elevators, hate them.

I'm going again this Fall for a month and don't plan on gaining any weight. I'm in my 60s and it is very hard to take weight off. Took well over a year to lose 10-15 pounds and I could stand to lose 5-10 more.

We are going on a cruise next year. It's my first in about twenty years. I don't remember gaining any weight last time but I am older and slower now. I'm concerned about these five course meals. Is it rude to skip a course? We will be on a HAL. Are the portions small?

Definitely not rude to skip a course. I almost always skip either the appetizer or the soup/salad, sometimes both. I order the entrée without sauce or with sauce on the side and usually a baked potato rather than whatever kind of potatoes come with it.

When I was young and stupid (and thinner), I found out that I could order whatever amount and whatever kind of food I wanted on a cruise. In 1991, on the Carnival Holiday, I gained 15 pounds in a week! Nowadays, I'm a lot smarter, I don't eat as much, and I make sure there is some heavy exercise when I go, so I pretty much break even.

I usually gain 3-4 pounds and it's usually from the water! The desalination doesn't take out ALL the salt...

Thank you. There have been other threads about onboard water quality, and the most vocal posters insist that onboard water has no more salt than water at home. I am sensitive to salt, and can tell when ships switch from port water to onboard desalinated--it tastes like sea water to me. I switch to bottled at that point.

To the OPs question; I haven't gained weight on a cruise since they eliminated the late-night dining on most lines. The midnight buffets, and late evening chocolate extravaganzas (on HAL) were always good for a few pounds per cruise, but I haven't seen either in years :(.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Gained 7 on the first cruise. It was probably because it was a new experience and you wanted to try everything. Now, I typically maintain by not doing much different than at home.

Always take the stairs instead of the elevators. Get 3 miles in on the track each morning or spend some time in the gym.