I made a costly mistake

bigenna

I had been trying to decide between two cruises this fall.

I decided to book them both a few months ago and make a decision closer to final payment. One through a call to Princess myself, explaining what I was doing. The other through my travel agent, so did not know about the other cruise.

Made my decision and informed my travel agent a few days ago to go ahead and pay my cruise and air in full.

Now for the costly error. I assumed that if I did not cancel the other cruise, when final payment came due yesterday it would simply get cancelled and the deposit I made with my future cruise deposits would be put back.

Today I noticed that it was still showing even though a notice said that if not paid in full by July 6th, yesterday, it would be cancelled.

I decided to call Princess and was told that now that the date has passed that my deposit was non refundable. Hard lesson to learn.

Edited by bigenna
Spelling

I decided to book them both a few months ago and make a decision closer to final payment. One through a call to Princess myself, explaining what I was doing. The other through my travel agent, so did not know about the other cruise.

Made my decision and informed my travel agent a few days ago to go ahead and pay my cruise and air in full.

Now for the costly error. I assumed that if I did not cancel the other cruise, when final payment came due yesterday it would simply get cancelled and the deposit I made with my future cruise deposits would be put back.

Today I noticed that it was still showing even though a notice said that if not paid in full by July 6th, yesterday, it would be cancelled.

I decided to call Princess and was told that now that the date has passed that my deposit was non refundable. Hard lesson to learn.

OUCH!! At least it was only $200 (or were there more than 2 on the res?).

Sorry this happened to you.....:):):)

Bob

Hopefully this posts will help others learn the lesson that you learned......

In the future, I would book both through your TA. This way, your TA can remind you that you need to cancel the other. They are looking out for you vs Princess is looking out for them. I am glad my TA reminds me of things I don't think of.

So sorry you had to learn this lesson. I hope you get a wonderful upgrade or something to indirectly compensate you. It may be worth a try to write to Customer Service and explain the situation to them and ask if you can get OBC or dinner at a speciality restaurant to make up for your misunderstanding and enforce that you were choosing between 2 wonderful Princess cruises. It is not like you were debating between Celebrity and Princess and went with Celebrity. Not sure if it will make a difference but all you have to lose is 15 minutes of your time. I would physically mail this to Princess, not use email.

Thanks for sharing your oopsie! I'm hoping that somehow Princess acts in a forgiving way. After all, it was an honest error. :o

This is a great reminder that if you book your own cruise (and I do) it is your responsibility to stay on top of the reservation. I actually enjoy scheduling my own travel.

I guess its just the coordinator (nice way to say control freak) in me as that was my job previously. :D

Did you call Customer Relation maybe they can help you get your $200. back. You'll never know if you don't try. Good Luck.

Tony

I would have thought the same thing. I thought if you didn't pay, your deposit was returned. I thought that if you paid in full and then went into penalty period, you lost just the deposit, and the cuts got deeper and deeper the closer you got to sailing date. Thank you for posting and correcting my misunderstanding. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Maddle

Thanks for sharing your oopsie! I'm hoping that somehow Princess acts in a forgiving way. After all, it was an honest error. :o

This is a great reminder that if you book your own cruise (and I do) it is your responsibility to stay on top of the reservation. I actually enjoy scheduling my own travel.

I guess its just the coordinator (nice way to say control freak) in me as that was my job previously. :D

Like you, I do my own travel arranging, but that might include using a TA to do the actual booking in order to take advantage of a better deal. But I still maintain control and responsibility for everything going on, such as checking Personalizer for cabin assignment on a GTY, checking for price drops, asking for the Princess Invoice PDF so I can see for myself payment applied, etc.

Until two years ago or so, Princess was more forgiving about final payments but they announced well in advanced that they were going to toughen their stance. Thanks for sharing this as a reminder to all of us.

Honestly, I worry about the same thing happening to us. All our final payments (there are several) get entered into the Google calendar I share with my husband. He knows that if something happens to me to check the calendar immediately after calling 911 (because he has no idea what we have booked).

Thank you for posting this. I thought exactly the same thing you did. I always booked through a travel agent, but if I booked through Princess I would also assume that if I didn't make final payment the cruise would automatically be canceled and my future cruise credit would go back on my account. Reading it now, though, after writing it, I can see where it would be my responsibility.

Edited by Sea Day Cruiser

Do not assume that your TA did not know about the other cruise.

When a TA looks at your record, he/she can see all that you have booked, not just the one with the TA.

My husband and I just booked this cruise tonight and are so excited to be headed back to the Med after a few years and joining all of you. We would be interested in joining small groups of tours with other groups from this board except for Cinque Terre, which we have already done. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Hi bigenna, So sorry this happened to you. I use a travel agent for this very reason. She stays on top of things for me...and strongly guides me away from non-fundable deposits.

I wasn't clear if your deposit started out as a non-refundable, non-transferable deposit or you lost it because it was past the final payment date.

The bright side of this "lesson" is that you only lost your FCC and not a full required deposit.

It may be too late, but I would contact Princess and see if they would offer you some OBC for your current cruise. They've already got you so not sure if there is an incentive (except for goodwill) to provide you will a drink or two on the house.

Please keep us posted to the results of your pleading.

One more suggestion, When you get to your current voyage, pay a visit to the FCC representative and ask him if he could at least give you the OBC you would have received from the FCC you lost.

Anything is worth a try.

Good luck and grand sailing.

Ouch! This is one time I am glad to be physically disabled and always get my TA to make the online bookings for me, after I have done LOTS of research to give her as much information to make her job as easy as I can! Not yet, in a position where I have more than 1 cruise booked at a time-limited selection of suitable itineraries for me here in Australia, but a note made in my diary for future reference to prevent trouble, should I ever be so lucky as to be able to have more than 1 cruise being actively purchased.

Enjoy your cruise!

Is the cruise you are going on with Princess as well? If so, I would contact them and tell you have booked a cruise with them but made a mistake with the deposit on this one. If you are very nice, they may be very nice in return :) It's not like they are not going to get any money out of you, they will still make thousands from you I'm sure! Maybe ask for an OBC if a refund isn't available, as someone above suggested.

Just wish to comment on this statement. We book through a T.A.. When payment time comes around we inform the T.A. to arrange payment directly from the cruise line to our credit card. Our credit card shows a charge from Princess Cruise Line, never a charge from a T.A. I believe it is always better to protect your funds in this way, and never pay a T.A. directly. Are you working in the same manner?