Quick Question-- when is it too late to book?

BeachinBeauty

Someone interested in taking a cruise with me this November wants to know:

(Assuming there is availability) how close to the actual sailing can you book? ie: 14 days, 7 days, etc.?

The date of the cruise is 11/2, so, they want to know what date they'd have to book in by before it was too late.

Thanks in advance!!!

(Assuming there is availability) how close to the actual sailing can you book? ie: 14 days, 7 days, etc.?

The date of the cruise is 11/2, so, they want to know what date they'd have to book in by before it was too late.

Thanks in advance!!!

When they have no more rooms.

This question is asked about once a week. The answer is most cruise limes can sell you a cabin the day before the cruise sails. If you wish to sail Carnival, you can book in the morning (by phone, not online) and sail in the afternoon. There is an oft repeated fiction that the manifest must be submitted 72 hours before sailing, In actuality, it is submitted 60 minutes before sailing, which is why all guests must be checked in by then. EM

This question is asked about once a week. The answer is most cruise limes can sell you a cabin the day before the cruise sails. If you wish to sail Carnival, you can book in the morning (by phone, not online) and sail in the afternoon. There is an oft repeated fiction that the manifest must be submitted 72 hours before sailing, In actuality, it is submitted 60 minutes before sailing, which is why all guests must be checked in by then. EM

You just keep on forgetting that Princess usually sails full and usually doesn't have any availability at least two to three weeks before the cruise. In theory, your scenario would work, but this isn't theory. Also, what applies to Carnival doesn't necessarily apply to Princess, thank goodness!

If you book a cruise late be prepared to accept the remaining cabin if any are available. This can range from an inside in the least desirable area to maybe a mini at $$$. Many ships seem to sail full which would mean you are out of luck.

Thanks in advance!!!

I read the title when is it too late to book.

My initial thought is when the ship is sailing ,but really I know you were interested in the facts.Sorry I don't have that information ,but as others have said I guess it's too late to book when all the cabins are booked ,no real answer , as it depends Cruise by Cruise.

Julie

My experience with this is being on a waitlist for the Emerald.

I was called on a Friday at 3:00pm the afternoon before sailing.

If there are cabins available I would say 2 days prior.

As stated though Princess cruise regularly sellout so if they want to go I would not wait too long.

I'm not sure how it affects you people on the other side of the world but with us here in Australia I would have thought an important consideration was the itinerary of the cruise and whether or not you had to get visas for any of the ports/coutries to be visited. Visas take time - of course if it is just a domestic cruise then no worries.:)

If there are cabins, you can book up to 2-3 days before. BUT, you could very well pay a high premium. The fare for my 11/20 cruise has more than doubled since I booked a few months ago. Even if it goes on sale (debatable), you'd still pay far more than if you'd booked earlier. Not sure why someone would wait if they want to go on a specific cruise unless they're really flexible and wouldn't be disappointed if they paid double for a crappy cabin location.

If you want a cheap cruise on a run of the mill itinary the best price is around 60 days out. The price will be a lot lower than the 10 and 15 percent discounts travel agents can give. I'm sailing on the emerald next week booked it about 5 weeks ago. $960 for 2 of us in a ow cabin.

Thanks in advance!!!

You are currently just under 6 weeks away from sailing. Whenever you book from this point on, full payment is due probably within 24 hours after booking. If you are speaking about the Emerald Princess Nov 2 sailing I see there are still balcony, outside an inside cabins available. If cabins are still available I would think right up until October 31st or Nov 1st. Sometimes Princess dumps empty cabins with last min. prices to T.A.'s about two weeks before sailing, which can be gobbled up. So, there may be a technical answer to your question, but the practical answer is once the ship is sold out. Another consideration, if you are trying to add a third or forth passenger to your cabin, the cabin you selected must be able to handle that person.

Edited by sknight

OP has not stated which ship but the only one that matches the 11/02/15 date is the 5 night Emerald Princess.

Currently a Drop & Go Sale , Insides Guarantee's $249p/p plus tax.

Wait no longer if it is a bargain you wish. When the promo is pulled you can hope for FLASH rates that may or may not happen and may even be higher than this promo.

For an unfortunate set of the travelling public, the cost of the trip being $X lower Y days out is less of an issue than simply being able to tell that one can take the time off. This is the crux of the OP's question.

Online bookings have consistently three nights before the sailing (roughly 65 hours, in my experience) regardless of the number of cabins available. A call to Princess can, in fact, break loose cabins that are under "shore control". I am living proof that a same-day book-and-sail is possible, at least for returning passengers.

There is a quirk, however, that can bite one in the butt with truly last-minute bookings; there can be available cabins, but the muster stations can be full. While use of a quad cabin as a quad only takes one cabin out of the rotation, it takes four seats out of the lifeboat capacity. I have attempted two bookings within four days of sailing where there were cabins empty, but the ship was effectively sold out. So do NOT rely solely on the cabin maps to determine if availability is getting tight.

There is a quirk, however, that can bite one in the butt with truly last-minute bookings; there can be available cabins, but the muster stations can be full. While use of a quad cabin as a quad only takes one cabin out of the rotation, it takes four seats out of the lifeboat capacity. I have attempted two bookings within four days of sailing where there were cabins empty, but the ship was effectively sold out. So do NOT rely solely on the cabin maps to determine if availability is getting tight.

I'm not expert in this, but I'm surprised each cruise ship would not have enough safety vests and space in lifeboats if every berth was full. And there are bound to be two customers in cabins with extra berths unused. Can't argue with your experience - if cruise line told you this was the reason. Which ship and when was this? Thanks.

This happened on both Golden and Star.

The muster spaces and lifeboat/life raft/MES capacity determine how many people can sail, above all else - by both maritime law and the decree of the insurer. Further, there are zones for each muster station with a maximum occupancy inside the zone.

Apparently on at least some ships of the Grand class, these numbers are smaller than the total number of available berths. I suspect the number is somewhere between the actual number of lower berths and 120% of berths, as these sailings do routinely sail over 100% full when measured by lower berth capacity.

The specific situations I ran into were cases where there were lower berths open - either in the cabins of friends who had booked single or in completely empty cabins, but the total number of people in the zone was at capacity. This can affect both new bookings and the ability to turn a single into a double or use the extra berths in a triple/quad cabin.

or have met passenger capacity.

Passenger list needs to be submitted to Port Authority for clearance.

May not be able to purchase insurance if too close to sailing date.

This happened on both Golden and Star.

The muster spaces and lifeboat/life raft/MES capacity determine how many people can sail, above all else - by both maritime law and the decree of the insurer. Further, there are zones for each muster station with a maximum occupancy inside the zone.

Apparently on at least some ships of the Grand class, these numbers are smaller than the total number of available berths. I suspect the number is somewhere between the actual number of lower berths and 120% of berths, as these sailings do routinely sail over 100% full when measured by lower berth capacity.

The specific situations I ran into were cases where there were lower berths open - either in the cabins of friends who had booked single or in completely empty cabins, but the total number of people in the zone was at capacity. This can affect both new bookings and the ability to turn a single into a double or use the extra berths in a triple/quad cabin.

There is a passenger capacity and it's not based on filling every berth. That's why there may be cabins that accommodate 3/4 passengers still left but you won't be allowed to book more than two for that cabin. We were waitlisted for several categories for our last cruise, but had to wait for a threesome to cancel their cruise before being able to book our cabin. Which may sense because it was a holiday cruise with many families booking it. Might not be a problem with the OP's date but even if he was able to book a cabin, his friend may be out of luck if the cruise is reaching or has reached full capacity

Ultimately, it's too late to book when the type of cabin you want at a price you are willing to pay is unavailable or sold out.

But even then, if you keep checking regularly (say there is no W/L allowed), miracles can happen and cabins open up for the briefest of time until the waiting hawks pounce and scoop them up.

Case in point ... decided to add on an additional 5-day pre-cruise to our Nov booking. Saw some very nice prices. Saw some "steal" prices and some inventory. When I changed flight okay (saving money due to a sale and mid-week departure now - TY SW for no change fees!!), and went to book, the inventory was changing and disappearing in front of my eyes. It was like trying to book a popular concert ticket with seats disappearing by the second.

When I could finally get in, many low categories were gone and had to book DF as lowest. Waited until next morning. No change. Booked the DF with a sigh. An hour later DF was closed out and lowest was DE.

The very next day, all those categories and exact cabins, plus even several more, were back up for sale again. Princess agreed to switch us back down where I had tried to book. TYVM Princess as we were just looking to do this add-on inexpensively and we were re-booked for $258 less into IA. (Used a TA and thanks to cooperating TA who called Princess).

Not long after I spotted this, once again several categories sold out quite quickly.