Why No Steamers Allowed?

Sascol

You can take anything you want. It could end up here so you can take it back home when cruise is over. BTW, there is a wand steamer amongst the goodies. This is Port Canaveral

I know the risk of it being confiscated, and I still plan on packing it. The thing was $20 years ago. If it gets confiscated, so be it - and honestly I wouldn't even bother waiting in line to retrieve it afterwards.

The wand steamers in the pics you attached don't look anything like mine. Mine looks very similar to a hair straightener, which may be why it's never been taken. I pack it near the toiletries, wrap the cord around the handle, then wrap my husband's belt around the entire thing and tuck it in his shoe in the suitcase.

I know the risk of it being confiscated, and I still plan on packing it. The thing was $20 years ago. If it gets confiscated, so be it - and honestly I wouldn't even bother waiting in line to retrieve it afterwards.

The wand steamers in the pics you attached don't look anything like mine. Mine looks very similar to a hair straightener, which may be why it's never been taken. I pack it near the toiletries, wrap the cord around the handle, then wrap my husband's belt around the entire thing and tuck it in his shoe in the suitcase.

That's either a very small steamer or your husband has very big feet! :eek:

I believe it has to do with trying to make it so that everyone is equal. Meaning, everyone will go to dinner with wrinkled clothes, therefor no one will feel out of place.

Priceless! Thanks for the laugh :D

I have been debating trying to take a steamer with me. If it gets confiscated you can get it back? I may go ahead and risk it. If they confiscate it, we'll just have to eat at Windjammers all week. :p

I have a little glass top crock pot like the one on the table (directly behind the blue coffee pot). I am amazed that anyone would actually take one on a cruise. :rolleyes::D What on earth for?

I have seen them used for hot wax for removing facial/body hair, maybe that was it? :confused:

I believe it has to do with trying to make it so that everyone is equal. Meaning, everyone will go to dinner with wrinkled clothes, therefor no one will feel out of place.

In all my cruises, I have never had a problem with my sleeveless t-shirts and cargo shorts getting too wrinkled! ...:D:rolleyes: Too soon? :cool:

I have a little glass top crock pot like the one on the table (directly behind the blue coffee pot). I am amazed that anyone would actually take one on a cruise. :rolleyes::D What on earth for?

Well, since they've done away with the midnight buffet service, we have to take things like chicken wings or meatballs back to the stateroom during the day and keep them warm in the Crockpot to snack on at midnight! :D

That was a full size rice steamer

Rice Cookers are known around the world to be an even greater fire risk than personal steamers. Many universities have banned them from student housing.

Any item that produces steam has internal workings that when they fail will most certainly cause a fire.

The biggest problem in recent years is that there are huge differences in manufacturing and quality and faulty internal parts are not uncommon.

• 8 years later...
14 minutes ago, Cathy Winters said:

No steamers but hair appliances allowed!  Makes no sense!  My guess is that they make MONEY for pressing services!!

It makes all the sense in the world, from a risk/reward viewpoint, which is how the cruise lines' insurers look at it.  Are steamers a fire risk?  Yes.  Is the reward of not having this hazard onboard outweighed by having a few passengers upset about it?  Also yes.  Are hair appliances a fire risk?  Yes.  Is the reward of not having this fire hazard outweighed by the anger of nearly every woman passenger for not having their hair look good?  Not by a long shot.  So, the insurer sets premium to cover potential risk from hair appliances, but not to cover risk from steamers.

And, thank you Biker, for the Resurrection post.  Some threads around here probably need your dead horse post as well.

• Like 1

Seems to make total sense to me.

Forgetting about your iron being on while sitting on an ironing board (or makeshift device in the cabin) is a lot more likely to start a fire than forgetting about your curling iron, which likely will be in the bathroom and not resting on flammable materials.

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I can't seem to find a post from last month and this one pops up from NINE years ago!  😀

M

There's a "Butter" thread that resurfaced from 2006. 18 years old! 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, doghog said:

There's a "Butter" thread that resurfaced from 2006. 18 years old! 😂

LOL...I was thinking the same thing. Newly practicing necromancers?   😵😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1