Why No Steamers Allowed?

Sascol

I have read on the RCCL website that irons and steamers are not allowed. Irons I get......fire hazard. Why no steamers though?

On sailings originating in the UK, electric tea kettles are provided in each cabin. Garment steamers utilize essentially the same functionality so it is not a safety concern. Also, the likelihood of lots of steamers being used at the same time is WAY lower than the likelihood of lots of tea kettles being used at the same time so it is not a concern about using additional wattage in the cabins. What gives?

I feel the same way. They'll allow hot rollers, hair dryers, and flat irons and curling irons, but no travel steamers. Makes no sense to me either. Past two cruises I've taken my wand-style travel steamer (made by Sunbeam) and had no problem though.

I believe it has to do with trying to make it so that everyone is equal. Meaning, everyone will go to dinner with wrinkled clothes, therefor no one will feel out of place.

LOLOL!!!! That makes perfect sense:D

pro tip.

find somewhere to hang wrinkled clothing in the bathroom while you shower. hot steam will release the wrinkles. i have been doing this for years for my suits/shirts when i travel and am short on time in the morning and also do it for formal nights on cruises.

Essentially, anything with a heating element is a fire hazard. If the thermostat fails when the water is all gone, the steamer will melt and present a fire hazard. Coffee pots provided by the ship are routinely tested and inspected. I have even known of a coffee pot that went up in flames while the electricians were testing it.

Hair care appliances like dryers and curlers would be banned if the lines felt they could weather the storm of protest, so they are reluctantly allowed.

My curling iron also automatically shuts off if not used after several minutes. I think a lot of hair appliances have that feature.

Yes, and Mr. Coffee nearly went out of business from lawsuits due to failure of the "auto off" causing house fires.

I feel the same way. They'll allow hot rollers, hair dryers, and flat irons and curling irons, but no travel steamers. Makes no sense to me either. Past two cruises I've taken my wand-style travel steamer (made by Sunbeam) and had no problem though.

You can take anything you want. It could end up here so you can take it back home when cruise is over. BTW, there is a wand steamer amongst the goodies. This is Port Canaveral

1445902561138.jpg.d44b0f47702f00d702d28631c950854f.jpg

1445902576527.jpg.3017c92268bce8583b521d3d8d6f3e89.jpg

When I first read the OP's post, I thought he was referring to steamer trunks. Watching a little too much Night at the Opera (Groucho Brothers). Boy, am I showing my age;):D. Well, not that old....

You are not alone. :)

When I first read the OP's post, I thought he was referring to steamer trunks. Watching a little too much Night at the Opera (Groucho Brothers). Boy, am I showing my age;):D. Well, not that old....

You are not alone. :)

Groucho Brothers?:confused: I don't know where my head was at? I meant the Marx Brothers, of whom Groucho was one of five. Other brothers included Harpo, Chico and Zeppo. Gummo did not appear in any of the films.

First class passengers needed steamer trunks on their transatlantic voyages to carry the massive wardrobes required by formal nights every evening and extended stays abroad. Alternatively one could pack a steamer trunk with a stowaway, such as Harpo.

A steamer could also refer to a steamship itself, which I don't think the modern day cruise lines would allow you to take on board.

Groucho Brothers?:confused: I don't know where my head was at? I meant the Marx Brothers, of whom Groucho was one of five. Other brothers included Harpo, Chico and Zeppo. Gummo did not appear in any of the films.

First class passengers needed steamer trunks on their transatlantic voyages to carry the massive wardrobes required by formal nights every evening and extended stays abroad. Alternatively one could pack a steamer trunk with a stowaway, such as Harpo.

A steamer could also refer to a steamship itself, which I don't think the modern day cruise lines would allow you to take on board.

My family did not travel first class with massive wardrobes. My mom had a steamer trunk; we hauled that around through quite a few moves. All passengers needed the steamer trunks because the ships were not equipped with the massive built-in storage we have today.

You can take anything you want. It could end up here so you can take it back home when cruise is over. BTW, there is a wand steamer amongst the goodies. This is Port Canaveral

I have a little glass top crock pot like the one on the table (directly behind the blue coffee pot). I am amazed that anyone would actually take one on a cruise. :rolleyes::D What on earth for?

Edited by Coralc

HAHAHA! I misread it and thought the they were referring to streamers! It would be lovely if we could still throw streamers to those seeing us off! :D

Edited by pippin10