Upgraded from GTY inside to fully obstructed OV-is this a good thing?

maui07

Mom and I decided to book a last minute (cheap) cruise on the Ruby to Mexico end of January. Got an email from princess saying we got upgraded to a 100% obstructed OV. Will it be annoying staring at a lifeboat? Im guessing thats what it will be. We don't mind an inside cabin as we are rarely there and honestly thats all we have been in. Anyways, just curious on peoples view on this "upgrade." I imagine the natural light will be good. Thoughts? The cabin is R605 on the Ruby.

Edited by maui07

Assuming you are in an Emerald deck obstructed OV, the beds will be perpendicular to the side wall rather than the back wall of an inside cabin (where the window would be if your inside was an OV). Makes it much easier to maneuver about the cabin, more room to sit at the desk or the armchair. Emerald Deck is certainly a more convenient location than on whatever deck(s) your minimum category guarantee inside was for.

Edited by fishywood

oops! E605.

Remember, even with a fully obstructed view you get DAYLIGHT in your cabin. However, you may also get CREW outside your window...

This is the view from E605 (taken from renmar's site):

E605x.JPG?height=300&width=400

Edited by Thrak

Completely right about crew outside your window. We had a similar cabin and I wished I kept the inside one. We had to keep our curtains closed most of the time anyway because you never knew when a crew member would be working in the the life boat or tenders. Emerald deck is a nice location tho. Just so you know there are trade offs. You'll have to decide what is important to you.

Mom and I decided to book a last minute (cheap) cruise on the Ruby to Mexico end of January. Got an email from princess saying we got upgraded to a 100% obstructed OV. Will it be annoying staring at a lifeboat? Im guessing thats what it will be. We don't mind an inside cabin as we are rarely there and honestly thats all we have been in. Anyways, just curious on peoples view on this "upgrade." I imagine the natural light will be good. Thoughts? The cabin is R605 on the Ruby.

No more annoying the 4 walls. ;)

Any bit of light is welcome in my book! :)

That's the way we would look at it as well. Even if we kept the curtains closed all the time there would be some natural light in the cabin. Of course an aft-facing balcony would always be nice... :D

If you were willing to cruise in any inside cabin with no view I would think this would make you happy.

If you don't like the view just keep the curtains closed and enjoy the daylight that you get :)

DH likes to book at least an obstructed view for the natural light. I'd be happy in an inside, although if the price is great, I'd book a balcony.

The Emerald Deck is a great location for us--very convenient and quiet.

We have stayed in various inside as well as obstructed view cabins, although often not really as obstructed as you have. There are pros and cons to obstructed view cabins.

The good, in my opinion : convenient to piazza levels, shops, entertainment venues, and dining rooms without always having to hop on an elevator. Also there is usually "some" view. It is nice to watch the morning sun and to be aware if it is even day or night, unlike the inside cabins.

What can be a concern, depending on the location of the cabin and your personal preferences, noise tolerance, etc. : crew can be in the area and sometimes very early in the morning. They try to be quiet but opening and closing those screechy metal gates just outside can be jarring at 5 or 6 am. Also, if docking at a tender port, lifeboat lowering can start really early and is noisy.

Having said that, I would still take your upgrade. I like the slight view, natural light, and proximity to amenities. Morning noise, well it does wake me up, but that way I get a relaxing, lazy start to my day and can always pop back for an afternoon nap if I need one. And not only that, when I leave my cabin and come back to change for dinner someone has made my bed for me!

Enjoy your upgrade and your cruise.

The crew will not be out there all the time, and even when they are there unless you are prancing around in the "altogether" there is no need to close the drapes. The crew will not have their noses pressed up against your window. I would take the upgrade for the bigger cabin space if nothing else. :D