When you're aboard can you see how far from land you are?

LizSydney

I've been told that the Shipcam and the app can give you info on how far you are from your next port, is this always available when you're on the ship?

There is a channel on the TV that gives ship's position, nautical miles sailed from last port, nautical miles to next port, ship's speed, time of arrival and other information.

Don't worry, enjoy yourself, the excellent Captain will handle all the navigational issues. You just handle the relaxation and enjoyment issues.

I believe they still post the ships positing on a navigational map daily plus on the newer ships that ship your route on the TV.

If you have a portable GPS, take it along. It's interesting to see how far you are from your destination.

Cool, that's what I thought, just wanted to double check.

You are unlikely to be able to see land unless you're leaving or coming into port. At sea, you are AT SEA!

I like to bring binoculars, so I can view other ships in the area...or when, in the great distance, you can see slivers of land....

This is not going to be like boating on a river, where the riverbanks are right there.....

But...there really is nothing to be afraid of. There are lifeboats....floatation devices....you'll be fine.

Edited by cb at sea

If on demand TV has been installed on the Diamond, you will be able to see a map that shows positioning of the ship as well as all ports on the TV at any time you wish. Otherwise you will be able to wait for it to cycle through all of the other information about the ship's speed, wave height, etc. The map might also be available on the Princess@sea app as well, it was on our cruise on the Royal The app doesn't require using precious internet minutes and it is very handy. Hope you have a nice relaxing cruise! We were on the Diamond a few years ago from Auckland to Sydney and it's a great itinerary.

• 2 weeks later...

While sailing up the coast, returning from Hawaii on the Star, we hugged the coast from Los Angeles north until dark. Captain said we were evading some waves further out. But the fun part was people from around the Santa Barbara area were coming out in their boats, waving acting silly etc.

Edited by MTJSR

The television has a GPS rotation on its display. I like to randomly write down a few coordinates and after the cruise make a track on google earth. It is interesting to see how the ships course goes if you are sailing near anything scenic or random.

Diamond Princess. Departing on Tuesday. I'm nervous and excited but mostly nervous..

Scandisplay shows you the ships location, also things like barometric pressure, temp, wind direction and strength and sea height.

Nothing to be nervous about she is a beautiful ship and rides like a dream.

So glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. Sounded like you needed a relaxing break!

Yeah I really did. And when you're on a cruise you are forced to relax and chill out. I was so strung out after the redundancy (but got a job offer today and am waiting on the contract) but the cruise definitely helped.

Yeah I really did. And when you're on a cruise you are forced to relax and chill out. I was so strung out after the redundancy (but got a job offer today and am waiting on the contract) but the cruise definitely helped.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the cruise (lots of us were rooting for you) and even happier that you got a job offer upon your return!