Another Long Time Celebrity Cruiser Jumping Ship

Lois R

This is us exactly! We started cruising X in 1995 and thought it was a very good value for the price. But the standards have been so steadily declining, it's just not worth it for us now. We too have been terribly disappointed with the decline in food quality since Michel Roux. We have a cruise on Eclipse in February and not planning to book another on board as we usually do.

We love to cruise, so I'm sure we'll find another line...maybe Azamara or Oceania. But, Celebrity is not on our agenda at this point, even with the Elite+ perks.

Lois, I hope you have a wonderful time on the river cruise! Please come back and let us know how you like it. Who knows, maybe we'll give that a try in the future.[/quote

If you can afford oceania IMO based on what I have heard, those ships do not compare with Celebrity. It's comparing apples to oranges. My dh and I hope to try at least a nice balcony stateroom on oceania.

"If you can afford oceania IMO based on what I have heard, those ships do not compare with Celebrity. It's comparing apples to oranges. My dh and I hope to try at least a nice balcony stateroom on oceania."

Thought of trying Oceania. What do you mean by the above? O ships aren't as nice or are nicer? Cost is high so you book a balcony rather than ? I know all is included but heard the air isn't direct and can have one or more stops. Don't want to switch off X for a lesser experience. Thanks for your comments in advance.

Surprised about the TA comments. I have never experienced a majority crowd of young cruisers on any Celebrity or other TA I have taken. There are some of course, but in my experience, the average age on transatlantics is probably 50s or 60s, not 30s.

Or am I missing something?

Smart move. And, if you do the bottom line "daily rate" comparison with Celebrity, including O's added value of included airfare, O Life perks (I.e., tips, excursions and internet) as well as the other inclusive items like specialty restaurants and all non-alcoholic beverages, you'll find O really does provide the "best bang for the buck."

This post should have a big IMHO attached to it. There is no way what we experience on X as to overall price of trip would be anywhere close to what O would be. Every time I have checked "All in" vacation cost would be nearly double on O.

This post should have a big IMHO attached to it. There is no way what we experience on X as to overall price of trip would be anywhere close to what O would be. Every time I have checked "All in" vacation cost would be nearly double on O.

Have you checked summer 2016 Med or Asia airfares lately? And did your math include O Life (introduced this past summer). Those two items alone are conservatively valued at $2750+\- for a 10 night cruise (you'd pay for at Celebrity). Remember also, anywhere from 7-10% OBC from any top producing O TA.

With 700 or 1200 passenger ships and arguably the best food at sea, you may want to revisit this.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Surprised about the TA comments. I have never experienced a majority crowd of young cruisers on any Celebrity or other TA I have taken. There are some of course, but in my experience, the average age on transatlantics is probably 50s or 60s, not 30s.

Or am I missing something?

Not as far as I could tell...on our Eclipse TA this past April average age was as you state....50-60-70......there were exactly 3 children on the ship....

Have you checked summer 2016 Med or Asia airfares lately? And did your math include O Life (introduced this past summer). Those two items alone are conservatively valued at $2750+\- for a 10 night cruise (you'd pay for at Celebrity). Remember also, anywhere from 7-10% OBC from any top producing O TA.

With 700 or 1200 passenger ships and arguably the best food at sea, you may want to revisit this.

I am sure everyone knows by now that you really, really like Oceania but if we wanted to go more "upscale" we would cruise more with Azamara. Great food, included liquor, gratuities and a different type of itineraries, which instead of hitting 10 ports in 10 day, lets you stay late in ports and has lots of overnights. Now that is what I call "port intensive".Also free shuttles in all ports and not forced to take their ship tours because it is built into the price. I for sure don't cruise for the food (actually our Japan/China cruise on the Millie the food was exceptional). Also the lack of entertainment (as opposed to Az is a turnoff) But you are happy and I am glod you found a line that suits you.

Our freinds just booked Montreal/Rome rt @ $635US (Choice Air) so you are paying for $2000 for tours included in your price???

Edited by Christine Frances

River cruises are great, but they are no replacement for ocean cruises AT ALL. I hope that isn't your plan?

You see a lot on river cruises and they're convenient but they're also exhausting and we were some of the youngest & fittest on the ship. The food choices are limited and the work out facilities are either non-existent or very small and next to impossible to do free weights in.

We found we were really wishing we had a sea day and many, many other passengers were saying the same thing and we were just on a 7 night river cruise. I've heard these same sentiments from others on longer cruises even more so. So although river cruises are interesting and good every once in awhile, they are by no means a replacement for being on the wonderful open ocean.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

River cruises are great, but they are no replacement for ocean cruises AT ALL. I hope that isn't your plan?

You see a lot on river cruises and they're convenient but they're also exhausting and we were some of the youngest & fittest on the ship. The food choices are limited and the work out facilities are either non-existent or very small and next to impossible to do free weights in.

We found we were really wishing we had a sea day and many, many other passengers were saying the same thing and we were just on a 7 night river cruise. I've heard these same sentiments from others on longer cruises even more so. So although river cruises are interesting and good every once in awhile, they are by no means a replacement for being on the wonderful open ocean.

Well, since I started this thread I am guessing your question is for me?

Although I have learned to never assume because you know what can

happen if you do that.......:eek:

I will respond to some of your comments.....first, AMA has different

levels of touring. I don't plan on being "exhausted" at the end of every

day. I am going to either take slow or medium tours.

I don't work out so having limited gym facilities makes no difference

to me. I don't use the gym on Ocean Cruises either. Free weights?

Not for me. So not having them makes no difference.

Food.....I have heard AMA has excellent food and I will be fine and as

for limited choices? I bet I will find plenty to eat.

I also know that a River Cruise is totally different than an Ocean Cruise.

I have posted a few different replies on here stating I know that it will

be waaayyyyyyyy different. I never said it will be a replacement

but who knows? I am not ruling it out. I have friends who no longer

do Ocean Cruises (they did them for years) and they LOVE river cruises

so much that is all they do.....so for them? It was a replacement.

You mentioned "My Plan"? At this moment in time my plan is looking

forward to AMA and seeing parts of the world I have yet to visit. My

plan is to have a wonderful time:)

Oh, I also mentioned earlier in this thread that I will always love

Ocean cruising;)...but just not sure I will be back on Celebrity in the

near future.

Edited by Lois R

RCL seems to have been on a roll of late especially against CCL . I believe this has made them very confident . So confident that they believe that long time cruisers frustrations and threats can be ignored because , A) Talk is cheap and B) New cruisers will happily replace you and spend more on board . Time will tell if they are correct or not . (I understand this is a ridiculously simplistic statement but hey this is CC ;))

Meanwhile I certainly understand why many of their most loyal customers are thinking about not being so loyal .

Edited by richstowe

RCL seems to have been on a roll of late especially against CCL . I believe this has made them very confident . So confident that they believe that long time cruisers frustrations and threats can be ignored because , A) Talk is cheap and B) New cruisers will happily replace you and spend more on board . Time will tell if they are correct or not . (I understand this is a ridiculously simplistic statement but hey this is CC ;))

Meanwhile I certainly understand why many of their most loyal customers are thinking about not being so loyal .

It is called hubris and that generally doesn't work out so well....

Lois, I look forward to hearing what you think of the River Cruise and will keep an eye on your posts on the River Cruising Thread.

My own view is that overtime we all evolve in many ways from travel to other things we do in life.

Some of this comes about because things do change. I can't think of any cruise line or even hotel brand that has not changed. Our first sailing on Celebrity was in 1993 and after sailing the cruise line for many years (even back then changes took place) we took a break, sailed on other cruise lines and then returned in late 2000 and saw changes. Some I thought were better and some for us not so good. At the same time, we have seen changes on all of the cruise lines that we have sailed and then returned to and that is what I ready each and everyday on the boards.

But we also do change. Things I did in my 20's I am not longer interested in today. Even things that I did 10 years ago, some of them I don't do today. As part of our own change even if the cruise lines remained the same, there might be things that we no longer care for.

For example, in our early years of sailing Celebrity we went to each and every night time buffet and looked forward to the Chocolate (I think that is what they called it) buffet featuring many delicious desserts. Now, I know that has been eliminated but if it even existed today I would pass on it because first I don't stay up so late at night anymore and secondly I don't like eating from buffets anymore.

The nice thing is that we do have choices and that to me what is great is that unlike say domestic USA flights there is so much diversity when it comes to cruising whether by ocean lines or river cruise ship so there is likely something out there for everyone.

We too are now more interested in trying out river cruising. Have never done river cruising but have already booked a few river cruises.

Lois, wishing you a wonderful time on your first River Cruise and congratulations on the next chapter(s) of your travel plans.

Keith

Lois, I look forward to hearing what you think of the River Cruise and will keep an eye on your posts on the River Cruising Thread.

My own view is that overtime we all evolve in many ways from travel to other things we do in life.

Some of this comes about because things do change. I can't think of any cruise line or even hotel brand that has not changed. Our first sailing on Celebrity was in 1993 and after sailing the cruise line for many years (even back then changes took place) we took a break, sailed on other cruise lines and then returned in late 2000 and saw changes. Some I thought were better and some for us not so good. At the same time, we have seen changes on all of the cruise lines that we have sailed and then returned to and that is what I ready each and everyday on the boards.

But we also do change. Things I did in my 20's I am not longer interested in today. Even things that I did 10 years ago, some of them I don't do today. As part of our own change even if the cruise lines remained the same, there might be things that we no longer care for.

For example, in our early years of sailing Celebrity we went to each and every night time buffet and looked forward to the Chocolate (I think that is what they called it) buffet featuring many delicious desserts. Now, I know that has been eliminated but if it even existed today I would pass on it because first I don't stay up so late at night anymore and secondly I don't like eating from buffets anymore.

The nice thing is that we do have choices and that to me what is great is that unlike say domestic USA flights there is so much diversity when it comes to cruising whether by ocean lines or river cruise ship so there is likely something out there for everyone.

We too are now more interested in trying out river cruising. Have never done river cruising but have already booked a few river cruises.

Lois, wishing you a wonderful time on your first River Cruise and congratulations on the next chapter(s) of your travel plans.

Keith

Great post.

Enjoy your river cruise!

Hi Lois,

I know you will love river cruising, especially with AMA. We have done 3 cruises with them, two of them are the European ones, like you will be on. Since you have followed our reviews, I assume that you have looked at our website to see what the AMA river cruise experience will be like. We really need to do more river cruises, since it such a pleasant experience to travel on the rivers seeing the towns that ocean cruising can't visit and the countryside from a different perspective.

We certainly understand your disappointment with X. After being messed up with our China/Japan cruise on the Century, we booked our first Oceania cruise. We just loved it. We are going on our 4th one in March. O is much like X was when we first started cruising with them in 1998, with a very high level of service, excellent food and many included items. With X's nickle and diming, it is a pleasure to not have the constant hawking on O. They don't have art sales, photographers constantly trying to take your photo, or the pushing of specialty restaurants. Most things are included in the price, including the very good specialty restaurants, specialty coffees and drinks/water in the cabin refrigerator. If you do try O, the new larger ships are just gorgeous and well worth trying. With the O pricing, it makes sense to book an inside or oceanview cabin, since you will normally get offers a few weeks before the cruise to upgrade to oceanview or balcony for a reasonable upcharge.

Like many, we are not happy with some of the changes we have seen in X; but it is still a very good product compared to most of the other main stream cruise lines. We just aren't cruising exclusively on X unless we find a deal that makes sense. I will say that food and service on our recent Equinox TA was surprisingly good; and we did book a couple more future cruises. I am pretty sure you will be cruising on X again; but just when it makes sense.

Have a great river cruise and let us know how much you like it.

Hi Mike:).....thanks for the post and I had no idea ya'll have been on 2

AMA cruises! I just finished looking at some of the pictures on your

AMAlegro cruise:D......

I will read in more detail later but I have to say, those food photos

look delicious:D

Hi Mike:).....thanks for the post and I had no idea ya'll have been on 2

AMA cruises! I just finished looking at some of the pictures on your

AMAlegro cruise:D......

I will read in more detail later but I have to say, those food photos

look delicious:D

That is because their food is outstanding! You might want to look at the Amalyra Danube review first, since that was our first one. I was more thorough about the cruise, because it was our first and paid more attention to differences from ocean cruising.

I will look at that one too...and I am going on a Maiden Voyage:D

Should be quite fun.....Tulips and Gardens in The Netherlands and Belgium

Chocolates.....how good is that?:D

Lois, I look forward to your review when you return from the river cruise. I have also looked at them for doing something different, but I have not tried one, so it will be interesting to see what you think of it. Hope you have a great trip this spring. Neil