Coffee mugs

cwbabe48

I want to bring my own coffee mugs for our upcoming cruise. What do you all take? I am tervis mugs with lids. I always take tervis larger containers for cold drinks.

Thanks

I don't bring anything like that. I don't want to be doing dishes on vacation.

I want to bring my own coffee mugs for our upcoming cruise. What do you all take? I am tervis mugs with lids. I always take tervis larger containers for cold drinks.

Thanks

I don't usually bring any coffee mug. Since I only drink coffee with meals I use whatever cup is provided by the cruise line.

My hubby does bring one of his commuter mugs when he travels. If you got space and not worried about every ounce you're packing, why not? You can easily find a travel size of dish detergent or decant a little bit of detergent into a small container. If you don't want to, then don't. If you do, it's not considered a no no.

I bring a Tervis tumbler for every member of the family. I take a little dish soap and squirt it on paper towels and let it dry. Then I cut these up and put them in the Ziploc bag. I just pull one out, get it wet, and can wash up everything I need without the trouble of carry a bottle of liquid soap. I do this in hotels too.

The cruise line staff clean and sanitize all the crockery and cutlery for the Buffet and Main Dining Room to the cruise lines standards. All plates, cups and cutlery is available at appropriate places. So generally, people go and get a coffee from the tea/coffee area and take a clean mug that is already there. If you want a second cup you return to the facility and get a new clean mug to put your second coffee in. The same is true if you wish to return to the buffet for more food. This is all to do with food hygiene. The cruise line knows they have sterilised stuff and they run a one way system with all used items never returning to where the food drink is being served or acquired. I have seen people chastised for not getting new clean stuff when returning for seconds. So if you use a different receptacle in a public area you may hit trouble as staff have absolutely no idea of its provenance.

In your own cabin I see no problems.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I bring a Tervis tumbler for every member of the family. I take a little dish soap and squirt it on paper towels and let it dry. Then I cut these up and put them in the Ziploc bag. I just pull one out, get it wet, and can wash up everything I need without the trouble of carry a bottle of liquid soap. I do this in hotels too.

Excellent tip - a cheap alternative to the not-so-cheap Bounty Paper Towels infused with Dawn that are available in the supermarket.

Thanks

We've taken Tervis tumblers with lids on our cruises. We take them to the Lido and fill with coffee or soda. We can walk around the ship with them and not have a mess with liquid splashing out. It's also nice to keep them at the sun deck lounges so our drinks stay hot/cold. We've never been questioned by any of the staff about using the tumblers.

Any time you use your own mug or glass you should fill it using one of the ship's mugs or glasses so that you are not spreading germs when you put your container under the beverage machine. That's why the lines ask that you get a clean glass or mug for seconds.