Celebrity Cruise's Unfair Pricing?

meengla

Hi,

We have booked the 2 April Transatlantic cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Italy. Yay for that!

However, now that we have fully paid we see that the price for our Balcony room is cheaper by about $250. Same deck, same category! So I called Celebrity yesterday (we had booked through them directly) and they almost gave me the new price with the $250 discount but, upon learning that we had already fully paid, took back the discount and offered a Concierge upgrade.

We would have rather taken the $250 discount as OBC than the Concierge upgrade--the upgrade is peanuts in perks! But the Celebrity rep didn't budge: Take it or leave it. If we cancel the cruise then a hefty fine. So reluctantly we took the upgrade.

I think this is not fair for Celebrity to penalize customers who have paid fully. I had a wonderful experience with Holland America in August 2015 for an Alaska cruise--every time I sawa price drop, I called, they happily gave the discounts, even though, I think, we had fully paid. They even gave $400 OBC and $70 dining card--and get this: They applied the $70 to OBC because we chose to skip the special dining.

I brought the Holland America experience to the Celebrity rep but she kept repeating Celebrity policy: Fully paid means no discount.

What do you guys think about it?

Call again and get another rep. You never know the outcome.

Otherwise, take what they offer, and that's that.

Sadly, Celebrity is owned by RCI. The Chandris family is no more (except for perhaps some stock).

I guess we all know that "X" stands for "CH" in Greek.

Hi,

I thought my question is general enough to be posted here? I think it would be interesting to see what other fellow cruisers are saying about different cruise lines. Frankly, I had booked directly through Celebrity despite the fact that some 3rd party/travel agency was providing at least a small OBC.

If the moderator thinks the question is not general enough then they could move the thread?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi,

We have booked the 2 April Transatlantic cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Italy. Yay for that!

However, now that we have fully paid we see that the price for our Balcony room is cheaper by about $250. Same deck, same category! So I called Celebrity yesterday (we had booked through them directly) and they almost gave me the new price with the $250 discount but, upon learning that we had already fully paid, took back the discount and offered a Concierge upgrade.

We would have rather taken the $250 discount as OBC than the Concierge upgrade--the upgrade is peanuts in perks! But the Celebrity rep didn't budge: Take it or leave it. If we cancel the cruise then a hefty fine. So reluctantly we took the upgrade.

I think this is not fair for Celebrity to penalize customers who have paid fully. I had a wonderful experience with Holland America in August 2015 for an Alaska cruise--every time I sawa price drop, I called, they happily gave the discounts, even though, I think, we had fully paid. They even gave $400 OBC and $70 dining card--and get this: They applied the $70 to OBC because we chose to skip the special dining.

I brought the Holland America experience to the Celebrity rep but she kept repeating Celebrity policy: Fully paid means no discount.

Since you are only about 45 days from sailing and well after final payment date, you will find that MOST if not all cruise lines will treat you exactly as Celebrity did. There is really nothing surprising about it at all. I'm really surprised that they offered you anything at all.

Usually after final payment the lower prices are usually for new bookings only

Sometimes using a good TA can get you a deal when the price drops but you never know

An upgrade can be a good way to reward you or not depending on your perspective ;)

Since you are only about 45 days from sailing and well after final payment date, you will find that MOST if not all cruise lines will treat you exactly as Celebrity did. There is really nothing surprising about it at all. I'm really surprised that they offered you anything at all.

I agree. I'm a little surprised they offered anything.

They might be called un-generous, but hardly "unfair". To put the shoe on the other foot, how much of an additional fare would OP have been willing to pay if Celebrity called to advise that fares had gone up - instead of him calling to see about getting a break because fares had gone down?

As mentioned by me above: I had a much better experience booking through Holland America barely 6 months ago. I am almost certain I was given the discounts quite close to the departure date. So I have reasons to expect Celebrity to be generous--especially if they sort of guarantee best prices.

Also, I don't think, other than some huge fuel price hike, Celebrity or any other cruise ship is going to ask for increased fare after the customers have already booked; I don't think the customers and the vendors work like that in travel industry.

But I recognize the useful feedback in replies above. Thanks.

Call again and get another rep. You never know the outcome.

Otherwise, take what they offer, and that's that.

Sadly, Celebrity is owned by RCI. The Chandris family is no more (except for perhaps some stock).

I guess we all know that "X" stands for "CH" in Greek.

Pretty sure what the outcome will be since most, if not all, cruise lines do not budge after the final payment date has passed.

As mentioned by me above: I had a much better experience booking through Holland America barely 6 months ago. I am almost certain I was given the discounts quite close to the departure date. So I have reasons to expect Celebrity to be generous--especially if they sort of guarantee best prices.

Also, I don't think, other than some huge fuel price hike, Celebrity or any other cruise ship is going to ask for increased fare after the customers have already booked; I don't think the customers and the vendors work like that in travel industry.

If you like HAL so much better, next time book with them. :)

If you like HAL so much better, next time book with them. :)

Nah, my first time with Celebrity but won't hold this against them. I am looking forward to my first cruise with them.

This thread has been educational. That's what this board is about, right?

Hi Neighbor,

Most cruise lines put a "For New Bookings Only" on most price drops/added perks after final is due.

Hi neighbor! I am seeing that now.

But what is this 40,000 in your profile? Can't be 40,000 cruises?! :)

PS. I have done only 6 cruises.

PPS: Our home port Charleston sucks.

The 40,000 you see indicates that poster has more than 40,000 CC posts. The exact number is indicated on the right side of the top of the post. Gives date one joined CC and number of posts. Some include where they are from.

The 40,000 you see indicates that poster has more than 40,000 CC posts. The exact number is indicated on the right side of the top of the post. Gives date one joined CC and number of posts. Some include where they are from.

Wow! And you are in the 70,000 Club!

My respect and appreciation for the jobs people like you here.

All cruiselines that we sailed on, do the same: no invoice adjustment after full payment, with any luck an upgrade is offered, but usually in inconvenient parts of the ship.

Same as airlines, once you paid, don't even check the price difference unless it's Southwest.

I am surprised the OP didn't know that.

Hi Meengla,

As an instructional experience for the future, the suggestion that you should have called back to see if a different telephone operator would have dealt with your appeal differently. Asking to speak with a supervisor is also often done to get another perspective.

As was suggested as well, going to the Celebrity boards where you will get more specific information as to how other Celebrity customers have been dealt with in the past would give you a better understanding of what the company might be willing to do. Not a waste of time.

Saying that company X did this for me so I don't see why you don't, just begs the follow up that if that is the service you expect, you know where to go.

Either way you did get an upgrade, so that is good, :) but what will you do if it happens again?

have a great cruise

Edited by Nic6318

Pretty sure what the outcome will be since most, if not all, cruise lines do not budge after the final payment date has passed.

Carnival has Early Saver rate that will allow re-faring to the lower fare. But it is a very restrictive fare otherwise.

Hi neighbor! I am seeing that now.

But what is this 40,000 in your profile? Can't be 40,000 cruises?! :)

PS. I have done only 6 cruises.

PPS: Our home port Charleston sucks.

To be more specific without giving the exact location, we live in the suburbs of Travelers Rest. :)

As mentioned above the 40,000 is the number of posts I have written. I have been a member of CC about 15 years.

We have been on about 40 cruises, nearly all on Princess plus about 6 river cruises.

Yes, Charleston is a poor cruise port. We took a family vacation on the Fantasy a few years ago. We are not likely to sail from there again

I disagree. HAL tends to give an upgrade, or some OBC for a price drop after final payment. HAL, nor any other cruise line is required to give you anything. I agree with the others, this is not unfair. Would you pay more if the fare had gone up? If your answer is NO, then, is that fair? You expect them to drop the fare, but don't think the reverse is fair?

Yes, I have 23,500 plus posts on Cruise Critic, 18 total cruises, 8 on HAL, and we are 4 star Mariners there.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hi,

You are a single customer spending a few thousand dollars. If you had one of Celebrity's top producing TAs (who books millions in business), the question might have, at least, received some reasonable adjustment.