Do you all ever contact the cruise lines with complaints/issues?

kimlovesfl

I read so many complaints on these boards (no promenade deck on the Royal class ships, the buffet didn't have enough seating, service in the MDR was slow, etc etc etc), and then often read the "I hope (name cruise line) is reading this. Do you write, email, call, fill out post-cruise surveys to let the lines know what you don't like? Perhaps if enough people let a cruise line know that something is an issue, it will be corrected, like the lack of center stairs on Princess's Royal class ships? If you don't go to the source, and only complain about things on a message board, nothing will change. Just curious.

Hard to complain about design of ship. Can't change it.

However, one cruise line, Carnival, has a very active Brand Ambassador with a blog and Facebook page who does try to gather peoples comments and/or concerns and take these issues to the C Suite. He is not a fan of cruisecritic for various reasons, but does help people out.

Then again, all cruise line have social media people who monitor these boards for information and feedback.

I read so many complaints on these boards (no promenade deck on the Royal class ships, the buffet didn't have enough seating, service in the MDR was slow, etc etc etc), and then often read the "I hope (name cruise line) is reading this. Do you write, email, call, fill out post-cruise surveys to let the lines know what you don't like? Perhaps if enough people let a cruise line know that something is an issue, it will be corrected, like the lack of center stairs on Princess's Royal class ships? If you don't go to the source, and only complain about things on a message board, nothing will change. Just curious.

No, I just don't cruise on ships whose design I don't like.

As stated, Cruise Lines read these forums.

I know for sure, up until 2 years ago when last I saw with my own eyes, they read the comments on end of cruise surveys. I happened upon a meeting when about 5 Officers/Staff were reading the comments on disembarkation day. (We were staying for b-to-B.)

One specific time, our cruise was so drastically unacceptable (not HAL), that my DH wrote a very professional letter to the cruise line describing succinctly all that went wrong but with a reasonable approach. We received a letter offering a free cruise anywhere we wanted for same length of time as the one about which we complained. We never used that offer.

Complaining about ship design/layout makes no sense whatsoever. Its not like that information is kept a secret, or that anything can be done to change it.

Any service./quality concerns we have had have been minor and we always got them addressed while still on the ship. Waiting till you get home also makes no sense. Give them the opportunity to fix it while you are still there. From my 10 plus years on CC it appears folks who wait till they get home have a much more difficult time getting satisfaction.

Yes, we provide feedback to the cruise lines. We always complete the surveys and whether we are complimenting or criticizing the experience, we always provide specific examples to support our opinions.

There has only been one cruise in which the entire cruise was so disappointing that I sent a letter to the cruise line. All attempts to deal with the problems whilst on the ship were unsuccessful. We were so angry with the service received that I have sworn to never sail on that ship again and to never book that category cabin again.

The cruise line replied and offered apologies for the poor service and experience and an OBC for a future cruise.

On X (and RC before them), we always fill out the post-cruise survey -- now, an on-line feature that you fill out when you get home. Onboard, we make use of the "attention to detail" cards, to notify management of problems, as well as exceptional service. We do our best to deal with any issues before disembarkation.

However, should there be a problem or issue that we can't resolve onboard, we will write to Corporate, upon our return. Personally, I prefer snail-mail to e-mail -- although I have heard of others getting good results with that, too. In my letter, I try to be as specific as possible about the problem, including: dates, times, and the names onboard staff that I dealt with. I've found that it also helps to include some "positives", to make my letter more balanced. Early on, I learned to include a day-time phone number, so that the folks at Corporate can call me back. I've had good success with that, over the years. :cool:

But no -- I wouldn't waste anyone's time complaining about something that they can't fix: ie, anything having to do with the ship's design. If I don't like the lay-out or permanent fixtures of a particular ship, I just don't sail on her again.

If there is something substantially wrong aboard, such as A/C not working, dirty cabin, etc. then we deal with it onboard. If its a major problem and not rectified, we elevate the level of our complaint (onboard) up the chain of command to the Guest Services Director and, if necessary, to the Hotel Manager. The only time we would even consider writing a complaint letter to the company (after the cruise) would be if an issue was not resolved during the cruise. Writing letters about design issues (i.e. no wrap around promanade or center stairway) is just a silly exercise.

Hank

Having done over 140 cruises, we have had to write maybe 4 letters to cruise lines about problems.

All letters were eventually answered -- it was 5 months before one cruise line addressed our issues. Only once were we offered $200 shipboard credit on a future cruise. Never made use of it as we never sailed on that cruise line again.

Princess always gives us that survey the second we get off the ship.

I always fill it out and praise those who provided excellent service and comment on any issues I didn't like. For example, two cruises ago the AIBP included the fresh squeezed orange juice and we loved it, but our last cruise did not. I wasn't annoyed enough to complain at the purser's desk, but I included the complaint in the survey.

No one ever got back to me, but they never do. I just assume they take our positive comments and complaints and use them for their research.

If given the opportunity, I always complete the post-cruise survey and rate the service and ship honestly. I've never complained about the design of a ship--can't imagine that would do any good!

In the dozen or so cruises I've taken, I've had to complain on board only once and I went to Guest Services and let them know my issue (extreme rudeness of one of the photographers). They apologized and later that evening there was a very nice letter along with chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne delivered to our room. That was way more than I needed to feel heard but very much appreciated.

After one cruise, one of our suitcases wasn't awaiting us when we debarked. It took them three weeks to locate it and send it to us. I did write to the cruise line on that one, and received a very nice letter of apology and small OBC for a future cruise.

I would never complain on CC and expect it would get to the right people. If I have an issue that can't be addressed on the ship--like the missing suitcase--I'll contact them. Fortunately, I'm pretty easy to please when I'm on vacation and can let the little things just roll off. :D

While I wouldn't demand compensation or immediate correction on the design of a ship, I would think that pointing out issues with the design could be useful, especially for those cruise lines that regularly add new ships.

NCL and RCCL are two that I recall having read about changing the designs of their megaships due to issues that cropped up with their headliners (the Freedom of the Seas and the NCL Epic) once they were put into service. Passenger flow problems, crowds, air circulation, etc can really only be learned by experience when they occupied.

There may be no instant gratification for "design" issues, but for those of us who expect to cruise in the future, I'd think it would be worth mentioning a consistent problem (or a consistently good feature).

Oceania has a mid-cruise survey as well as a final survey. Anytime, I have made a comment of significant concern on the mid-cruise survey (rarely necessary), I have received a call or note from a hotel officer/director requesting a chat. In each case, the issue was resolved quickly thereafter.

Also, when O was considering lesser smoking restrictions for E-cigs, I e-mailed travel ombudsman/columnist Christopher Elliott to get the direct contact info for O's new president and sent him an e-mail (having also posted the info on CC's O forum to get others to write).

I'll never forget it because I wrote to him on a Sunday morning and he responded immediately acknowledging the citations sent to him regarding the ill effects of e-cig vapors along with an indication that the e-cigs would henceforth be subject to O's regular highly restrictive smoking policies.

I'd say that Oceania is quite responsive.

The last few years we've gotten an on -line survey regarding a cruise we had just completed. I usually make comments, observations etc regarding "whatever" on that survey. Once I made a rather glowing review pertaining to one particular staff member (well deserved) and I got a "Thank you and a $50 OBC certificate for my next cruise on that line.

Why would you not contact a cruise line with an issue or problem?

You should first make every effort to resolve your issue at the appropriate level, and that even applies pre-cruise. If the issue is MDR service, address it then and if nothing changes (or you get the cold shoulder) move up the chain on the ship. However, if you truly feel like the people on the ship are basically blowing you off the cruise line office probably WANTS to know that.

And as mentioned, I wouldn't contact them to specifically complain about a design feature (or lack thereof) but if asked in a survey for my opinion I would certainly give it.

The last few years we've gotten an on -line survey regarding a cruise we had just completed. I usually make comments, observations etc regarding "whatever" on that survey. Once I made a rather glowing review pertaining to one particular staff member (well deserved) and I got a "Thank you and a $50 OBC certificate for my next cruise on that line.

OBC for compliments? Keep posting this across all the forums! Maybe you can start a trend. ;)

I never have, but will be doing one shortly. On our just-finished cruise on Miracle, my husband was pitched out of bed on the second night by the ship slamming on waves. Not Carnival's fault, but he did knock at least three neck vertebra out of alignment. He could hardly get out of bed for the next 11 days because he was in so much pain. He missed out on all the ports, including five two-tank dives.

We went to medical and they couldn't, or wouldn't, do anything to help. Finally, in desperation, we went to the spa and he tried the acupuncturist. That's when the "fun" really started. The acupuncturist double-billed us to the amount of more than $800. That caused my husband's S&S card to shut down (we were on different credit cards). He was greatly embarrassed when he finally was able to get out and was told his credit was no good. I ended up having to link our accounts.

It took me three trips to the spa to get that overbilling fixed. To top it off, I was bit on the foot by a spider in the dining room. So, I had to make that long trek three times on a swollen, hurting foot from the aft to the bow.

So, yes, I will be sending a complaint this time. There also is a little more to this story about that acupuncturist, but I don't want to put it on a public forum.

Other than all that, we had a good time (me more than my husband), and we will be back in August and November on Miracle. Hope they spray their dining room by then. ;)

Ship design complaints can pay off if the complaint is stated respectfully and a solution is offered. For example, Oasis of the Seas placed plugs for electronics and hair dryers under the desk in the cabins. The only way to access those plugs was on hands and knees or to do a yoga twist pose to reach the plugs. It was just insane, especially for older folks for whom hands and knees positions are painful.

I guess Royal Caribbean got so many complaints about those darned plugs that when Allure of the Seas was launched, the plugs had been conveniently placed on top of the desks.

Another improvement is that on older ships for some unknown reason the safes are on the closet floor. Newer ships have to safes at eye level. What a difference! I imagine plenty of passengers complained about those floor level safes.

Edited by Gangway Style

Once I complained to the email address on a cruise line's website about a certain cabin attendant. Never heard back from them. This made me think, it's useless, so I either bring an issue up on the cruise, or let it go.

Princess arranged our air travel LAX. Due to mechanical problems and bad management by the airlines we missed the ship by one hour. We arrived in LAX at 5:00 PM and the ship sailed at 4:00 PM

At 5:00 PM the Princess offices are closed so we had to deal with their help desk in India. Trying to make our selves understood on a cell phone standing in a noisy airport was fun. The Help desk timed out several times and hung up on us causing us to call back several times. Both my wife and the Princess airport Point of Contact who was working very hard to help us tried talking to India and both were getting rather upset in the process.

After almost an hour we were given a confirmation number for a flight to PV were we would catch the ship in 3 days.

At 11:00 PM at the Hotel we tried to confirm our seat numbers to find out that India Help desk had reserved our seats but had not paid for them.

Next Morning at 6:00 AM we contacted Princess Hq and they finally paid for the seats while I was convincing the Blue Van Driver to wait a few minutes for us. We were really lucky that we tried to confirm the night before. Can only imagine the problems we would have had at the airport

Wrote a report to Princess. A few months later I was contacted by a Princess rep. He listened to my story again. Thanked me for bringing it to their attention and hung up. Did not have warm fuzzy feeling that any changes were going to be made with the Off Shore help desk.

Bob

Once I complained to the email address on a cruise line's website about a certain cabin attendant. Never heard back from them. This made me think, it's useless, so I either bring an issue up on the cruise, or let it go.

This is the kind of complaint which is simply misplaced. If you have an issue with any staff on a ship, the time to complain is quickly and it should be done onboard to somebody in a position to deal with the issue. In reality, by "holding your tongue" until after the cruise you are taking away the ability of onboard supervisors to immediately deal with the issue and perhaps avoid future issues. Complaining to the cruise line, after the fact, is similar to trying to punish a child a month after they do something worthy of punishment.

And we do think many good things can also be done onboard. If we are impressed with a crew member, be it a cabin steward, bar tender, etc. we will often submit a written comment (most cruise lines have forms for this purpose). This can result in immediate rewards for the crew member (positive feedback) and is great for crew morale. About 2 years ago, while on a long (2 month) HAL cruise we were favorably impressed with the entire bar/waiter staff in the Crows Nest (a bar/lounge). We wrote-up a favorable comment and submitted it to Guest Relations. This later resulted in a very enlightening conversation with the ship's Beverage Manager (now a friend) and also got us many smiles from the staff in that bar (and even better service). Everyone likes to be appreciated, and positive feedback can do a lot more to make a cruise enjoyable then complaints.

Hank