Should Gratuity be based on total cost?

aprilshowers2016

Total cruise booking is only $300 per person, Princess charges $12.95 pp, then the total tips will be $91 p, about 33%, sounds pretty high.

Do people normally reduce it? Or is the $12.95 pp required minimum?

Thanks

I'm thinking that $1200 is a very low price for a seven day inside cruise. (CB Dec 16) The gratuity rate would be more like 7 or 8 %. Where do you get a $300 seven day cruise?

I'm thinking that $1200 is a very low price for a seven day inside cruise. (CB Dec 16) The gratuity rate would be more like 7 or 8 %. Where do you get a $300 seven day cruise?

I'm seeing $429 on the Grand for April24 - that's about the lowest I can see right now. $300 is possible with 3 in a cabin.

I'm seeing $429 on the Grand for April24 - that's about the lowest I can see right now. $300 is possible with 3 in a cabin.

Several points.

I looked that up. It's $449PP, $199 for 3/4. Plus $142 port fees.

That's (rounding) $450 PP plus $140 or $590 PP for first two.

That's (rounding) $200 plus $140 or $340 for 3/4.

Gratuities are $91 (rounding).

Total for three is $1520 or around $505 PP. That's 18%. Not 33%

Of course that brings up the second point. Why should the first two people pay a different tipping rate than the 3rd 4th passenger?

For the first two passengers the rate is $91/$590 = 15.42%

For the 3rd 4th passenger the rate is $91/$340 = 26.76%

Then there is my third point. Grand is probably inside final. I used a CB in April. Which may explain the difference. Should gratuities be reduced if the fare is reduced? Why?

You can always find a way to reduce or delete the gratuity if that is your objective.

Edited by RocketMan275

While this is a US problem as most countries dont tip. But is it a tip for giving good service, a thank you to the employee for going beyond the job, or are we just paying thier salary while we pretend the cost of the cruise is lower?

I think of tips as a reward for going above and beyond, its the Cruise lines job to pay the salary and charge accordingly. Then leave it to me to decide if the person deserves a reward for doing extra.

Its funny how folks want a "different experience but demand" that is meets their own experience no matter how little that experience may be.

First of all it is a GRATUITY not a TIP. I realize that the two are used interchangeably in the US but their is a big difference that even the IRS recognizes as does the rest of the world (California and Washington State disagree as to the meaning, but then they don't agree on much of anything anyway):

The IRS views a tip as a discretionary amount given to a worker by a patron, whereas a gratuity is an amount, typically specified by the establishment, of which all or a portion may be conveyed to the employee. Furthermore, the IRS has specified that gratuities are to be paid to the employee as wages on a paycheck.

http://www.tipcompliance.com/polLearningCenter.cfm?doc_id=2

I'm trying to remember the last time I travelled Europe that I didn't have a gratuity charge on a a tab. BTW try and have the 15% gratuity removed from a bar tab on Cruise ship......

Thats great....

Only the crew don't deal with the IRS.

I don't care what the cruisers local "Custom" or "Culture" is around TIPPING

When people go on a cruise they are no longer experiencing their local culture but instead that of a cruise ship culture. Gratuities, TIPS, HSC, whatever it's called is how the service people are compensated. If people don't want to experience a different culture than they have at home, then they would be best to stay at home.

The cruise lines all state clearly what the expected compensation is for service, not paying the minimum is cheating the service providers of their compensation.

Pay the minimum suggested (unless of course there is a service issue) or stay home.

The other option I'd love to see is the requirement people can only opt out of the Service Charge at check in. Those that opt out make their own beds, clean their own bathrooms, line up in the kitchen to fetch their own meals, do their own dishes, and before leaving get to clean their stateroom to the standard of the cruise line. Then I suspect these folks would appreciate the bargain the daily service charge really is.

I am thinking under the system the OP proposes, third and fourth share people will pay a lot less than their first and second cabin mates. Is it envisaged to charge it under the auto-tips system?

Will this cause any arguments within the cabin?

Regards John

I have never balked at the daily gratuity. I have never seen such hard-working people. Those of us who cruise are pretty fortunate when we look at how the majority of the world lives. I am grateful to cruise. I am grateful to contribute.

For the love of Pete, leave the auto-gratuity in place. Then if you love a specific service person, give them extra.

I have never once regretted over- tipping. I have regretted under-tipping.

Edited by TracieABD

I have never balked at the daily gratuity. I have never seen such hard-working people. Those of us who cruise are pretty fortunate when we look at how the majority of the world lives. I am grateful to cruise. I am grateful to contribute.

For the love of Pete, leave the auto-gratuity in place. Then if you love a specific service person, give them extra.

I have never once regretted over- tipping. I have regretted under-tipping.

How would you feel if the airlines started charging automatic gratuities, or hotels, or your hospital, or Walmart.....it's a wage not a tip but Princess does not have the courage to call it that!!! People can do what they want no matter what people rant about on CC!!

How would you feel if the airlines started charging automatic gratuities, or hotels, or your hospital, or Walmart.....it's a wage not a tip but Princess does not have the courage to call it that!!! People can do what they want no matter what people rant about on CC!!

No matter what you try to compare it to, the analogy doesn't work. Cruising is a different industry. One in which a service charge is applied. You can either afford to pay it, in which you can afford to cruise, or you cannot, in which case you cannot afford to cruise.

The resort charge at luxury hotels irritates me, but I like luxury hotels, so I pay it.

Like it or hate it, it is the model.

Edited by Luvmyrotti

Yikes! :eek: I guess I really struck a chord.

Actually, Princess calls it a gratuity or a daily charge.

What I pay over and above that is a tip.

Edited by TracieABD

Total cruise booking is only $300 per person, Princess charges $12.95 pp, then the total tips will be $91 p, about 33%, sounds pretty high.

Thanks

Tip according to the service you receive. Let your conscience be your guide. We feel the published rate is more than fair and would never reduce the amount nor do we tip above the published amount. To each their own.

Thanks

You received an EXCELLENT deal for a cruise. That's amazing, lucky you!

You should not reduce the gratuity. That's what it is per person and those people who you see up front and behind the scenes rely on that gratuity to make a living.

It would not be fair to reduce it because of the outstanding deal you got for the base fare of the cruise.

When people go on a cruise they are no longer experiencing their local culture but instead that of a cruise ship culture. Gratuities, TIPS, HSC, whatever it's called is how the service people are compensated. If people don't want to experience a different culture than they have at home, then they would be best to stay at home.

Pay the minimum suggested (unless of course there is a service issue) or stay home.

The other option I'd love to see is the requirement people can only opt out of the Service Charge at check in. Those that opt out make their own beds, clean their own bathrooms, line up in the kitchen to fetch their own meals, do their own dishes, and before leaving get to clean their stateroom to the standard of the cruise line. Then I suspect these folks would appreciate the bargain the daily service charge really is.

All cruises are not a different culture. Most passengers speak English and the ship caters to the American tourist. If it bothers you what other people do with their money then maybe you should stay home.

The cruise lines all state clearly what the expected compensation is for service, not paying the minimum is cheating the service providers of their compensation.

1c6c64b.jpg

Thanks

Consider you got a bargin all around... the $12.95 tip, given level of service is amazing... we usually double our tip. If your cruise was only $300 pp you got a real deal!! Count blessings.

Thanks

You can reduce or increase the tips, but it should be scaled with your price / category of room. That's a great idea. It also should be included in the price with no extra tipping allowed.

Thats great....

Only the crew don't deal with the IRS.

Is it beyond your scope in thinking, that just perhaps, some people do not care about the crew what so ever. Where they live, thier customs, salary or lack thereof of. Some people just don't care, at all. Reducing the tips or hotel charges or whatever trumped up name the cruise line wants to call not paying THIER employees a salary is not the paying customers problem. Some people look at it as reduction in total expenditures just like a accountant or IRS would.

Thanks

Another tipping thread. Do what you think is best for you!! Stop all the tipping threads. There all the same.

Tony

Nope, a day's work is the same for a steward or server whether it's a 3 day cheapie or a 100 day world cruise, so the tip should not vary.

I do agree with you...let me get that out of the way ...but it's also the same work to serve me a $150 bottle of wine vs. $40 bottle of wine and that's a pretty big tip difference

Thanks

I would consider myself lucky to get such a great deal on my cruise and leave the gratuity in place for the hard-working crew who are supporting families back home.

Alternately, you could just lump that $91 in with the $300 and think "I just paid less than $56 pp per day for a wonderful vacation that includes all my meals and entertainment in addition to my accommodation - fantastic!"

Either way I look at it, it's a hell of a lot better deal than anything I can score here in downtown Vancouver.