Flights out of Fort Lauderdale on Saturdays

Kruzrk

Recently we did a cruise out of Miami but opted to fly in and out of Fort Lauderdale on Southwest because of cheaper cost. Our return flight was not until 5:15 PM, which was a nightmare (-FYI), 1- we were at airport at noonish, 2-and of course had to hold on to luggage 3-we couldn't check in until 2:45. But Southwest's terminal was packed all the time we were there!! They had flights going out every 20 minutes out of about 8 gates. There was never enough room for everyone to sit, so they were standing or sitting around against walls, windows etc. I'm not sure who's fault it is tho, the airport for not having a bigger concourse, or Southwest for having too many flights. I felt we were a herd of cattle, gathered in 'pens' according to where you were going. Is this what flying is coming too? Since the de-regulation the airlines have made seats smaller, no leg room, and they charge for everything!! I don't know what the answer is but I know we better find one!!

Southwest has lots of flights because they can fill them, and that's how they make money. What "everything" does Southwest charge for? All you have to pay is your fare; two free checked bags, no change fee if you want to switch your flights, free nonalcoholic drinks, snacks and no seat selection fee.

Maybe a better solution for you would have been to not hang out at the airport all day. I've done that at FLL and it is tedious.

Rent a day room at a hotel, or rent a car and go do something instead of sitting around at the airport all day.

Edited by 6rugrats

Is this what flying is coming to?

When flying Southwest maybe...

Yesterday I flew from Chicago O'Hare on American....was through security in about 2 mins, enjoyed a nice selection of drinks from the self service bar in the lounge, then as soon as I arrived at the gate boarding was announced, so I stepped aboard and was offered a cocktail right away. Had nice huge PTVs with plenty of entertainment, then was fed a pretty decent meal with more cocktails and freshly baked cookies in the air...on a 90 min flight.

You get what you pay for. And when you pay for Southwest, because it was cheaper as you say, you get a cattle car experience.

Edited by fbgd

Recently we did a cruise out of Miami but opted to fly in and out of Fort Lauderdale on Southwest because of cheaper cost. Our return flight was not until 5:15 PM, which was a nightmare (-FYI), 1- we were at airport at noonish, 2-and of course had to hold on to luggage 3-we couldn't check in until 2:45. But Southwest's terminal was packed all the time we were there!! They had flights going out every 20 minutes out of about 8 gates. There was never enough room for everyone to sit, so they were standing or sitting around against walls, windows etc. I'm not sure who's fault it is tho, the airport for not having a bigger concourse, or Southwest for having too many flights. I felt we were a herd of cattle, gathered in 'pens' according to where you were going. Is this what flying is coming too? Since the de-regulation the airlines have made seats smaller, no leg room, and they charge for everything!! I don't know what the answer is but I know we better find one!!

We had the same exact experience on our last flight out of Ft Lauderdale, but that is the airport I choose, also, because of cost. I prefer to fly direct on Southwest, too. So, we have to grin and bear it. We generally choose an excursion to fill part of the day, but still have the same problem you experienced. A real nightmare! Although someone in this thread mentioned "you get what you pay for", and it was evident they flew First Class. Not all of us can afford to fly First Class on another airline, and get the better experience. We certainly wish we could, but it is not an option, so we have to suffer and treated as cattle. My opinion: for the amount of cruise passengers/ other vacationers that use that airport, a bigger, more efficient airport should be built. Too many people going through a too small airport. I feel your pain. We will be flying into Ft Lauderdale in January for a cruise out of Miami, and I'm already dreading the flight/airport experience.

Although someone in this thread mentioned "you get what you pay for", and it was evident they flew First Class. Not all of us can afford to fly First Class on another airline, and get the better experience. We certainly wish we could, but it is not an option, so we have to suffer and treated as cattle. My opinion: for the amount of cruise passengers/ other vacationers that use that airport, a bigger, more efficient airport should be built.
Even if you're not flying first class, why don't you choose a different airline? Or a different airport? (Miami is a viable alternative for all cruises to/from Fort Lauderdale, and vice versa.)

Are you not even prepared to spend the extra to make those choices?

Even if you're not flying first class, why don't you choose a different airline? Or a different airport? (Miami is a viable alternative for all cruises to/from Fort Lauderdale, and vice versa.)

Are you not even prepared to spend the extra to make those choices?

We fly Southwest for the direct flight out of Buffalo. A real necessity when flying out in the winter. We have not made connections on a few times. Southwest and Jet Blue are the only airlines I have found that offer that, and neither fly into Miami. The flights I have found that fly into Miami are more money. The direct flights ARE often more money, and I pay for them. I do not pretend to know what other people's finances are, but I do know mine and my husbands. We are both retired and living on a very strict, fixed income. I save for a whole year to be able to cruise every winter to escape our cold and snow. We would love to cruise more, and perhaps if we move south, and remove the whole aspect of flying, we will be able to. In the meantime, I pay for the air fare I CAN afford.

While the Southern Floridians prefer Fort Lauderdale Airport over Miami Airport I prefer Miami airport because there are a lot more options there when we get there early from using the airport club to all of the shops and restaurants.

There is far less at the Fort Lauderdale airport and to me it is a zoo. And yes where Southwest is there is very little. We were there for three hours in January for a Southwest flight.

But that is not typical of all airports.

With that said USA airports are almost third world in comparison to so many beautiful airport terminal around the world.

Keith

While the Southern Floridians prefer Fort Lauderdale Airport over Miami Airport I prefer Miami airport because there are a lot more options there when we get there early from using the airport club to all of the shops and restaurants.

There is far less at the Fort Lauderdale airport and to me it is a zoo. And yes where Southwest is there is very little. We were there for three hours in January for a Southwest flight.

But that is not typical of all airports.

With that said USA airports are almost third world in comparison to so many beautiful airport terminal around the world.

Keith

Yes, there are very little options for eating in that airport. We deal with Southwest all the time and always have a good experience with them. The problem is the airport. You named it correctly--it IS a zoo! We never have that issue at any other airport! If I could find a direct flight into Miami, I'd do it! Anyone know of any into Miami? But it won't do me much good if they are way over priced in comparison to flights into Ft Lauderdale. As much as I hate that airport, I have to choose my flights and airports to what my budget can afford. I don't begrudge anyone that fly wherever they want, in what ever airline they want, or First Class. I just have to do what I can afford. And I can only wish and hope that conditions into Ft Lauderdale airport will improve someday.

I'll speak to the FLL issue of having to hold onto your luggage because of ones early arrival at the airport. When we have had this issue we go directly to the skycaps. They have taken our luggage without a problem. I usually have my tip in hand along with my boarding Passes. Good luck.

Yes, there are very little options for eating in that airport. We deal with Southwest all the time and always have a good experience with them. The problem is the airport. You named it correctly--it IS a zoo! We never have that issue at any other airport! If I could find a direct flight into Miami, I'd do it! Anyone know of any into Miami? But it won't do me much good if they are way over priced in comparison to flights into Ft Lauderdale. As much as I hate that airport, I have to choose my flights and airports to what my budget can afford. I don't begrudge anyone that fly wherever they want, in what ever airline they want, or First Class. I just have to do what I can afford. And I can only wish and hope that conditions into Ft Lauderdale airport will improve someday.

Miami is a zoo, too. I thought that FLL had been updated and improved - it was a construction zone the last time we flew through there a few years ago (I couldn't even tell you which year). We prefer to fly in MIA because we can get a nonstop home to LAX and roughly the same price as connecting out of FLL. I'm perfectly happy to pay for the transfer there.

all I want are cheap inexpensive flights with larger seats, more leg room, and full meals and NO don't ask me to help pay for better airports thru increased ticket prices or increased property taxes.

The airport tooth fairy should pay extra for it.

all I want are cheap inexpensive flights with larger seats, more leg room, and full meals and NO don't ask me to help pay for better airports thru increased ticket prices or increased property taxes.

The airport tooth fairy should pay extra for it.

You forgot fully modern planes with free wifi and cell phone availability at all times, and multiple entertainment choices. Flights that are always on time, no matter any other influencing factor...

And, if you read on places like FlyerTalk, different menus every day, no repeat menus for 365 days per year, no matter how many days each year you fly, with free upgrades ahead of EVERY one else, even those who pay for the higher class of service.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I like Southwest too.

I just don't care for Fort Lauderdale airport but I will fly there based on various factors (price of flight and convenience of flights) . Just think that the airport needs updating.

Keith

flight was not until 5:15 PM, which was a nightmare (-FYI), 1- we were at airport at noonish, 2-and of course had to hold on to luggage 3-we couldn't check in until 2:45. But Southwest's terminal was packed all the time

Airports are not, nor should they be, designed for thousands of pax to wile away the entire day. I suspect much of your disgruntlement was self-inflicted, as you made no other plans for the day other than to sit in the airport. You arrived so early you had to spend almost 3 hours before you could check your bags, then another 2.5 hours before your flight. That would cause anyone to be in a bad mood, LOL. Next time to an ship-sponsored excursion, rent a car for the day, or make other plans and fly out the following morning.

for the amount of cruise passengers/ other vacationers that use that airport, a bigger, more efficient airport should be built. Too many people going through a too small airport.

Where exactly would you like this bigger, better airport to be built? I'm sure you've noticed that there isn't exactly a ton of open land in the area, not to mention the zoning issues and such that go with a new airport. Anywhere an airport could feasibly be built would be so far away that it would be impractical and would create a whole new set of complaints. A better suggestion for those who think FLL is so terrible- don't cruise out of south Florida. Or fly in and out of Palm Beach or Naples and then use ground transportation to the ports. Of course, that would add cost, but in the end it's all a trade-off, isn't it? ;)

I like Southwest too.

I just don't care for Fort Lauderdale airport but I will fly there based on various factors (price of flight and convenience of flights) . Just think that the airport needs updating.

Keith

Ha! If you think T1 (Southwest) or T3 (Jet Blue, and I think UA & AA) are bad, you should take a look at T2 (Delta) at FLL. "Needs updating" is a HUGE understatement, LOL.

I travelled with the original poster. While we could have done something in Miami as an excursion, our group of 10 ranged from near 80 years old to 11 so that would have been difficult. We expected the airport to have a general area prior to entering Security. We are from Milwaukee, our airport has a nice large area for people to get food, shop, and wait prior to entering security....this is what we expected. We learned a lesson.

We did stand in the long line with a family to do early check in that were told since their flight was 2 1/2 hours they couldn't check in at the regular terminal, they had to do early check in. They proceeded to wait in line with us for 45 minutes and then when they got to check in, they were told their bags might not make now that it was only an hour and half before their flight.

Apparently between MIA and FLL, 15 cruise chips came in. FLL (the airport) couldn't handle the volume. By the time we were allowed thru Security, the terminal was packed. It was just aggravating that the airport can't handle the volume. We got the direct flights because our group had so many bad experiences trying to fly back thru cities that can't handle bad weather. (ex:Atlanta)

I travelled with the original poster. While we could have done something in Miami as an excursion, our group of 10 ranged from near 80 years old to 11 so that would have been difficult. We expected the airport to have a general area prior to entering Security. We are from Milwaukee, our airport has a nice large area for people to get food, shop, and wait prior to entering security....this is what we expected. We learned a lesson.

We did stand in the long line with a family to do early check in that were told since their flight was 2 1/2 hours they couldn't check in at the regular terminal, they had to do early check in. They proceeded to wait in line with us for 45 minutes and then when they got to check in, they were told their bags might not make now that it was only an hour and half before their flight.

Apparently between MIA and FLL, 15 cruise chips came in. FLL (the airport) couldn't handle the volume. By the time we were allowed thru Security, the terminal was packed. It was just aggravating that the airport can't handle the volume. We got the direct flights because our group had so many bad experiences trying to fly back thru cities that can't handle bad weather. (ex:Atlanta)

That is EXACTLY what I was trying to say! The Ft Lauderdale airport consistently gets that much traffic, so you would think they would build a better airport that can handle it! Your experience was the same as mine, and it has happened on 3 separate trips. It is not as easy as flying into Miami. As I stated--and it seems to be the same reason you chose Ft Lauderdale--was for the direct flights. Anyone trying to fly from the north in the winter, with all the connections on the east coast, know better. Direct flights are the only answer to avoid it. My husband and I just returned from a trip to Florida, and as we were not there for a cruise, we didn't worry about needing a direct flight. Also, I don't think there were any into Ft Myers. What happened? It took us two days of canceled flights, and delays due to snowstorm all up the east coast. They ended up flying us out in a blizzard to Chicago before getting to Florida. We left for airport on a Monday morning and never arrived at our destination until 1:30 am Wednesday. That is what happens flying from the north in the winter. And that is why I try my damndest to get direct flights. I have never seen any in to Miami, but if someone has, please let me know. I have a cruise for next January, and direct flights from Southwest for that time frame do not even upon up until this summer.

Airports are not, nor should they be, designed for thousands of pax to wile away the entire day. I suspect much of your disgruntlement was self-inflicted, as you made no other plans for the day other than to sit in the airport. You arrived so early you had to spend almost 3 hours before you could check your bags, then another 2.5 hours before your flight. That would cause anyone to be in a bad mood, LOL. Next time to an ship-sponsored excursion, rent a car for the day, or make other plans and fly out the following morning.

Where exactly would you like this bigger, better airport to be built? I'm sure you've noticed that there isn't exactly a ton of open land in the area, not to mention the zoning issues and such that go with a new airport. Anywhere an airport could feasibly be built would be so far away that it would be impractical and would create a whole new set of complaints. A better suggestion for those who think FLL is so terrible- don't cruise out of south Florida. Or fly in and out of Palm Beach or Naples and then use ground transportation to the ports. Of course, that would add cost, but in the end it's all a trade-off, isn't it? ;)

You are right--there is no room for a bigger airport, but that is what is needed to handle the amount of travelers out of there. Perhaps some updates to the current airport to better handle the amount of people and to add better areas for waiting with more food options. We did book an after cruise excursion last time, but still met with problems. Your idea of spending an extra day there is right up my alley, but it does add more cost on to the trip, and would be something to take in to consideration.

That is EXACTLY what I was trying to say! The Ft Lauderdale airport consistently gets that much traffic, so you would think they would build a better airport that can handle it!

Fort Lauderdale does not consistently get that much traffic; it is very much a factor of the season (high versus shoulder or low, winter versus spring/fall or summer), the day of the week (weekend versus weekday), and the number of ships in port (correlates with the season and day of the week). While I agree with everyone that the terminals need updating, the question of expansion to fully meet the demands of a relatively few weekends of the year doesn't sound like a very good business plan when weighing the costs.

Regarding the strict check in times - that varies by airline according to the Fort Lauderdale Airport website: "How early can I check my luggage? The answer varies by airline so contact your airline for their policy. Typically you can check your luggage anywhere from two to four hours prior to your flight." In our experience that isn't unusual domestically or internationally.

Is this what flying is coming too? Since the de-regulation the airlines have made seats smaller, no leg room, and they charge for everything!! I don't know what the answer is but I know we better find one!!

Generally, yes. People demand low fares above all else. Airlines have found a way to offer the lowest fares so people will fly them most. As a result, they need to put more people in a plane, charge for things above just a spot on the plane, etc.

You said you went to Southwest simply because of the cost. That's why the industry is going the direction it is - price beats EVERYTHING else for most people these days.

We could go back to regulation and have fares skyrocket. That's one option. But I would rather be uncomfortable for a few hours.

I just drove an hour north to West Palm Beach (PBI) and flew JetBlue home. B6 you would have to change planes at Boston or JFK.

We live in Milwaukee, Jet Blue doesn't fly here. Direct flights are best when you live in the north, because most of the connections we end up with are in the south and can't handle a inch of snow. :)

We live in Milwaukee, Jet Blue doesn't fly here. Direct flights are best when you live in the north, because most of the connections we end up with are in the south and can't handle a inch of snow. :)

Connect through DFW on AA, IAH on United or Atlanta on DL if you want to minimize your risk of getting stuck in snow. Or fly through one of the more northerly airports where snow is dealt with better.

Or if you want non-stop then drive the short distance to Chicago and you've got zillions of non-stop options.

We expected the airport to have a general area prior to entering Security. We are from Milwaukee, our airport has a nice large area for people to get food, shop, and wait prior to entering security....this is what we expected.

There are many, many airports that do not have a big waiting area pre-security. The reason? Most pax show up much closer to flight time than you did, so they can go right through security upon arrival. Just FYI for your future travels. ;)

you would think they would build a better airport that can handle it!

direct flights. I have never seen any in to Miami, but if someone has, please let me know.

Again, where exactly do you propose they build a bigger airport in Ft. Lauderdale? Is there a huge plot of empty land, conveniently located and zoned appropriately, that you are aware of?

As for non-stop flights into Miami (direct flights are not necessarily non-stop, by the way, and I assume it's non-stop that you actually mean) American Airlines has a lot of non-stop flights into Miami, as that is a hub for them.