Is River Cruising losing some of its appeal?

PhillyGirl2

We are booked to take, probably, our last river cruise on Viking. We have been on three other cruises with them and think that they are a fine company. However, am I may be:mad: getting too particular in my advancing age, but it seems that every time we take a river cruise (not much different than on an ocean cruise) we are faced with hoards of people in port indicating that river cruising has expanded so greatly that it is to be expected. I just looked at a picture of Viking's new longships that were christened this year. Wow!! How many more boats can the rivers take? One of the most annoying things that has developed over the years of river cruising is the typing up of two ships at one port and having to walk through the lobbies of another ship to debark. One night on a Danube cruise I opened my balcony door to the surprise of someone else's balcony from another boat. So much for being able to sit on the balcony. While the perks of river cruising are still obvious--smaller ships, better scenery, the ability to walk off the ship, etc. --the popularity of river cruising is putting a damper on some of the reasons why people chose to do so in the first place. O.K. I guess I'm getting old, grumpy and jaded.

I totally agree with what you are saying as there are getting to be way too many River Cruise boats. Yes I understand all to well in what you said about going out on your balcony as to enjoy and have a libation or two but when you have another ship's balcony starring you in the face sort of puts a damoer on things. Was fun however as we were on the Scenic Jasper in a Royal Panorama Suite and our counter parts were on a Viking ship in an Explorer Suite and they were amazed at our cabin and we shared in a glass of wine together.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

We just did a river cruise in Myanmar and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was only one spot where there was two other cruise ships and we did not have to walk through any of them. Our ship held only 58 passengers when full, but there was only 46 of us on board. Love the service when you take an Asian cruise. Totally different to European cruises.

We've got our first river cruise booked for August and I can't wait. The whole idea appeals to be greatly.

While I would prefer not to raft, I understand that its part of what often happens. If we have a balcony in our view, I hope the people come out and say hello! I'd like that!

While we want to see the ports, we're doing the cruise for the river experience. If the ports were at the top of our priority list, I'd fly in and do a more extensive stay - and maybe if one or 2 of the ports appeal that way, we will in the future.

I want to see the water as we sail along. I want to go through locks - and I'll get up in the middle of the night if I have to :) I know a lot of the cruising is a night, but I've looked at our itinerary, and there are daylight cruising hours, and I'm looking forward to those relaxing times.

I do ocean cruising for the sea, and the ship experience - not the ports, as well.

We're from the NY metro area - we can deal with crowds :D It's not an issue - for us anyway. We're doing late August - I'm expecting to deal with crowds.

We are booked to take, probably, our last river cruise on Viking. We have been on three other cruises with them and think that they are a fine company. However, am I may be:mad: getting too particular in my advancing age, but it seems that every time we take a river cruise (not much different than on an ocean cruise) we are faced with hoards of people in port indicating that river cruising has expanded so greatly that it is to be expected. I just looked at a picture of Viking's new longships that were christened this year. Wow!! How many more boats can the rivers take? One of the most annoying things that has developed over the years of river cruising is the typing up of two ships at one port and having to walk through the lobbies of another ship to debark. One night on a Danube cruise I opened my balcony door to the surprise of someone else's balcony from another boat. So much for being able to sit on the balcony. While the perks of river cruising are still obvious--smaller ships, better scenery, the ability to walk off the ship, etc. --the popularity of river cruising is putting a damper on some of the reasons why people chose to do so in the first place. O.K. I guess I'm getting old, grumpy and jaded.

Don't ever apologize for getting old. It happens to all of us. I to wonder when the industry will feel they have reached there capacity of flooding all these river or cruise ships into waters. Especially when the airlines are not working with them but against them. The days of travel have come and gone just wish our children would have some of the glory days of travel that we experienced. Enjoy travel and just try to stay out of the major travel areas.

Don't ever apologize for getting old. It happens to all of us.

I guess some people would call me old, but I was just born a long time ago - I refuse to get "old" ... or grumpy ... or jaded. I look forward to new experiences and seeing new things and if I ever stop. I take joy in the sights and sounds around me, and if I ever stop, I hope someone shoots me :p

We just did a river cruise in Myanmar and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was only one spot where there was two other cruise ships and we did not have to walk through any of them. Our ship held only 58 passengers when full, but there was only 46 of us on board. Love the service when you take an Asian cruise. Totally different to European cruises.

I know what you mean, having done China and most recently the Mekong, with Myanmar a potential for our next trip, we are 'saving' the European rivers for later as they can't really get much worse whereas the Asian destinations are still relatively uncrowded.

Mark T...that is our plan too...you should add the Amazon to your rivers to do while you can...I would also suggest although not a river ...the Galapagos, and while I am at it better add in an African Safari..

we may also do the Ganges and I really want to do the Nile but do not feel the area is safe yet!!!

then onto the Rivers of Europe!!! We did Budapest to Amsterdam and I would even do that again....We were very lucky no rafting on our side of the ship!!!

I'm 73 and have conquered three different cancers in the past four years, so I'm not in the best of health. However, my wife and I are doing our first river cruise (Scenic in September) after many years of ocean cruising. My thinking is not that I'm too old.... it's that I'm hoping my health holds in the future and that we can enjoy many, many more years of river and ocean cruising. Old is a state of mind, not the number of years. Like one of the others said, if I find myself sitting on the balcony and spot someone on another boat facing me, that we can have a chat and maybe a drink together. That's one of the reasons we don't pick a specific table on an ocean cruise - we prefer meeting new people every night. Life and people can be so interesting.

Too many places to see and too few years to see them all now that we are retired and able to afford to travel ---- damned working life!!! All those wasted years. Lol.

Edited by budisal

Dear PhillyGirl2,

Thank you for sharing your candid comments. You’re right - river cruising popularity is on the rise. While we endeavor to keep up with demand, we also understand the importance of preserving the intricacies that have led to the industry’s success.

In an effort to alleviate the effect of rafting, or double-docking, we deploy our ships with staggered embarkation dates. By limiting the number of Viking ships in each port on each day, the desirable, intimate atmosphere is still attainable.

PhillyGirl2, your loyalty to Viking Cruises is valued and your constructive feedback appreciated. Should you wish to review the details of your comments further, we would be happy to hear from you at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We wish you a wonderful cruise and look forward to welcoming you aboard for the fourth time!

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

I know what you mean, having done China and most recently the Mekong, with Myanmar a potential for our next trip, we are 'saving' the European rivers for later as they can't really get much worse whereas the Asian destinations are still relatively uncrowded.

We did three weeks in China, with only four days on the river. China was the most crowded country we have ever been.

However, I know you were referring to the crowds from the river cruises, which wasn't an issue on the Yangzee.

I'm 73 and have conquered three different cancers in the past four years, so I'm not in the best of health. However, my wife and I are doing our first river cruise (Scenic in September) after many years of ocean cruising. My thinking is not that I'm too old.... it's that I'm hoping my health holds in the future and that we can enjoy many, many more years of river and ocean cruising. Old is a state of mind, not the number of years. Like one of the others said, if I find myself sitting on the balcony and spot someone on another boat facing me, that we can have a chat and maybe a drink together. That's one of the reasons we don't pick a specific table on an ocean cruise - we prefer meeting new people every night. Life and people can be so interesting.

Too many places to see and too few years to see them all now that we are retired and able to afford to travel ---- damned working life!!! All those wasted years. Lol.

AMEN! I'm with you! We want to experience small ship cruises and have considered Viking's new ships as well as some others. Now that we're retired I want to squeeze in as much experience as we can!

Not for me. But I've only been on one and that was in aquarium class so rafting was not an issue. I did not find the ship to be crowded and none of the areas where we docked seemed crowded.

Have booked another cruise but have to wait until 2017.

We too have only been on one river cruise (Romantic Danube with Viking) and this took place in August of last year. We were also in aquarium class, which meant that the few times we rafted, it was a non-issue. Also wanted to point out that while we were parked frequently in some busy river ports (Vienna, Budapest, etc.) it never once felt over crowded. Can't wait for our next river cruise this June! :D

Many of the small European towns are smart and won't allow themselves to be over run. They have limits on how many people per tour guide, how many tours can come in per day. Good for them. That is why you notice the river boats mooring in little towns you would never consider previously. As consumers one needs to research research research or at least ask folks on Cruise Critic. Lol. Case in point Viking ships in Paris or should we say now they are too big to moor in Paris.

Wow--lots of responses from my fellow cruisers--you are awesome. Yes, while there are issues, cruising is still our favorite form of travel with over 25 cruises from Viking to Seabourn. Our very first on Viking--China is still one of our favorite and most memorable and Viking did an outstanding job. I even spoke to other passengers about it aboard another Viking ship when they were promoting China. Also, this is the one time that we were able to shake hands across the deck railing to another ship that pulled along side of us and we did share a drink--so, yes, there are perks. I also agree with those who said that travel is the experience that I now look forward to as I age and I'm thankful that I have the ability to do so. On our China trip, one man cried when we got to the Great Wall, because he knew he would not be able to walk on it. So, dear fellow cruisers--go, experience the world and the heck with "double docking." I knew you would all make me see things differently--thanks so much!:)

I would think that we are rapidly approaching the saturation point of this cruise category. There are so many boats and so much capacity, I don't see how the market can support any more expansion. Viking seems to disagree by their leasing of new boats constantly, but we will have to see.

I would think that we are rapidly approaching the saturation point of this cruise category. There are so many boats and so much capacity, I don't see how the market can support any more expansion. Viking seems to disagree by their leasing of new boats constantly, but we will have to see.

That's the same that is said about ocean cruising also. The mega ships. So many pax descending upon Ports at the same time.