$3 charge for some desserts at Horizon Court on Regal

4cats4me

Hi, we are currently on board the Regal and were surprised that they are now charging for some of the desserts there. Specifically,they are some

Of the chocolate ones that looked like some sort of mousse. There was no signage stating that there would be an upcharge, either. My husband asked for one and was told, that will be $3, sir. We asked how long this has been going on and we were told, "About a month."

Not sure if this is old news or not, and sorry if I'm reposting what is already known.

Princess has a deep partnership with Norman Love, the sale of specialty chocolate desserts made by Love are the last phase of the partnership. Love has crafted desserts for the MDR as well as breakfast inspired options. They also have presentations during some cruises on how to make some of his desserts. His truffles are handed out during the champagne waterfall. Some of his specialty desserts will be sold at the International Cafe and various other venues as the final stage of the partnership with Princess. This will eventually be fleet wide.

It is a new Princess offering, "Premium" chocolates from Norman Love. And there is a charge for it. There was a thread about it here a while back. I also seem to remember getting an e-mail about it recently.

Princess said it would be offered at the International Cafe as well as "other selected venues". Guess that would be the Horizon court on some ships.

Edited by ar1950

We were on the Royal for 20 days in February and March and I never saw a charge for any deserts.

It had not been rolled out at that time. When we were on in March they said it was slowly rolling out fleet wide in the next several weeks.

It was like that on the Ruby last month. All of the Norman Love creations at the International Cafe were in the round display case with a $3 surcharge. Also, every evening there was a different Norman Love cake in the Horizon Court Buffet. No surcharge for that, and they were very good. This is what one of them looked like:

25672946973_57d6c66044_z.jpg

Edited by Jasperdo

If response to the upcharge is tepid, it will probably be dropped.

It is difficult to start charging for something that has been free, example: Alfredo's.

True. At some point these endless upcharges are going to meet critical mass and there will be a revolt. (We hope.) :)

I remember the original thread where this option was looming and was thankful not to see it on Royal in January. There is a certain psychology for me associated with taking out my cruise card over and over, it heightens my feeling of being nickeled and dimed.

But the cruise lines know well that people on vacation are much more comfortable treating themselves and after all, what's $3?

I swore I would never partake of any upsell items (beyond drinks and tours which are only inclusive on luxury lines), especially for food, since food is so plentiful everywhere you look. Well, I broke down and went to some of the dinner venues that cost extra, and it seems a slippery slope now. :eek:

I believe this blurb about the Chocolate Journeys has been on the website since late last year (emphasis mine):

CHOCOLATE DAY & NIGHT

Each day you’ll discover a new, premium chocolate treat in the 24-hour International Café. From Milk Chocolate Mousse Caramel and Chocolate Flan to Peanut Butter Chocolate Tarts and Milk Chocolate Chantilly Éclairs, you may just find yourself visiting morning, noon and night!

Charges apply.

On Emerald there was a White and Dark Chocolate Mousse in tall glasses in the round display case at the IC. It looked good enough that if I would have been asked for my card to be charged for it I would have still tried it. But thank goodness I wasn't: it may have looked like mousse but it had the consistency and taste of cheap store-bought cake frosting. If that was Mr. Love's creation, he can keep it.

I've been going back and forth on this sort of thing (increased nickel and diming). I'm ok with this one, because Princess is offering something new and presumably better than what they have had before. Same with the specialty restaurants (as long as the prices are kept within reason -- I'm looking at you, Celebrity!). What's really galling is when the same things that used to be free suddenly carry a charge (I'm looking at you, NCL!). Celebrity has also gone in a different direction with their main restaurants (upscale restaurants for certain classes of cabins only and folks in regular cabins can't even get in by paying a charge) -- in theory this is ok, but it comes after a long slide in the quality of food and service in the MDR so you feel like you are forced to upgrade to these cabins.

I believe this blurb about the Chocolate Journeys has been on the website since late last year (emphasis mine):

That was the beginning phase of introducing Norman Love chocolates. The "pay-for" offerings are the latest phase.

On Emerald there was a White and Dark Chocolate Mousse in tall glasses in the round display case at the IC. It looked good enough that if I would have been asked for my card to be charged for it I would have still tried it. But thank goodness I wasn't: it may have looked like mousse but it had the consistency and taste of cheap store-bought cake frosting. If that was Mr. Love's creation, he can keep it.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that mousse thing isn't part of the Norman Love stuff. And, I agree, it wasn't very good.

Edited by ar1950

It's a vacation. Personally don't want to wast time thinking about paying three dollars for a desert. If I want it, I'll pay the 3 bucks.....:):):)

Bob

Me too. In most ports we eat off the ship and I don't balk at paying for that so $3 for something that is a bit out of the ordinary and is something I want is OK with me.

I've been going back and forth on this sort of thing (increased nickel and diming). I'm ok with this one, because Princess is offering something new and presumably better than what they have had before.

However, these now for-a-charge desserts occupy space that used to have delicious no-charge desserts.

Thus the desserts included in the cruise fare has less selection than before.

It's a vacation. Personally don't want to wast time thinking about paying three dollars for a desert. If I want it, I'll pay the 3 bucks.....

The problem is this is a trend.

There used to be good steaks in the main dining rooms until they started the for-charge steak restaurant. Passengers were willing to pay extra for quality that used to be included in the cruise fare.

Now if passengers are willing to pay extra for desserts at the IC, then there is less choice of desserts there for those unwilling to pay extra.

Sort of also like the upsell for cabins. Princess used to give free upgrades to fill cabins that were not selling well and to make available cabins in a category that was selling well. But since Princess discovered passengers would be willing to pay for those previous free upgrades (in fact hoping to be offered a chance to pay for them), the free meaningful upgrades are almost non-existent now.

Bit by bit Princess is finding that passengers are willing to pay extra for what used to be included. Since about 50% of passengers on Princess ships are first time Princess passengers, they do not know what used to be and accept what is now as normal.