Any MUST DO'S in Alaska

wesport

Just booked a last minute cruise round trip from Seattle 6/18 on the Westerdam. Airfare was challenging, but found direct flights from MIA to SEA. Standard 7 day Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay, and Victoria BC. Having never been to Alaska is there one thing that anyone would consider a must do when in Alaska. I've ruled out fishing as I am not a fan. I figure if we really like it we can do a longer cruise next year.

Just booked a last minute cruise round trip from Seattle 6/18 on the Westerdam. Airfare was challenging, but found direct flights from MIA to SEA. Standard 7 day Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay, and Victoria BC. Having never been to Alaska is there one thing that anyone would consider a must do when in Alaska. I've ruled out fishing as I am not a fan. I figure if we really like it we can do a longer cruise next year.

So many great options in Alaska. Of course price is a factor, so its really hard to recommend one item over another.

Of the things we have done, my #1 favorite (for the ports you are going to) is the helicopter landing on the glacier in Juneau. A bit expensive, but something you will never forget. Great way to experience what glaciers are all about.

#2 is a flight seeing tour of Misty Fjords in Ketchikan. Again a bit expensive, but the views and landing in the lake is something unique. A word of caution - it rains alot in Ketchikan so you might get cancelled out (I would not go up in poor weather anyway).

#3 is also in Juneau - whale watching tour. You get fairly close to the whales.

#4 is Butchart Gardens in Victoria. While I am normally not a "flowers" person, this was amazing.

#5 a lower budget experience is in Juneau, going out to the Mendenhall Glacier park. You can take a local bus (white or blue) right near the dock for under $10 pp each way. Explore the park and ranger station, get a great view of the glacier and even hike out to get closer to it. Check the Alaska CC message board for more details on how to do this.

Since you will be going to Glacier Bay, I did not include this on my list, but it is also a great experience.

Edited by DaveOKC

One "must do" is to get out onto open decks during your cruise! The views are amazing. And one cannot see it all from one's verandah or just one side of the ship. Get out onto the top most deck and do a 360 degree (or several) turn to take it all in.

Enjoy a bowl of pea soup on Glacier Bay day, too! They'll serve it in the Crow's Nest and one or two other locations.

Usually, folks go someplace because there are things that interest them! A guidebook should be your 1st stop...read up on Alaska...see what thing's float your boat...then you can plan HOW to do those things!

This is one of those things you may only do once....so do your research before you start spending money on pricey excursions. You want to do the things that YOU want to do...and research can help you do them cheaper, in many cases!

Having been to Hawaii, and taking the helicopter ride across Hawaii's grand canyon, I can see us doing the helicopter that lands on the glacier. Appreciate the suggestions!!

One "must do" is to get out onto open decks during your cruise! The views are amazing. And one cannot see it all from one's verandah or just one side of the ship. Get out onto the top most deck and do a 360 degree (or several) turn to take it all in.

Enjoy a bowl of pea soup on Glacier Bay day, too! They'll serve it in the Crow's Nest and one or two other locations.

I second these suggestions especially getting out on the open decks in Glacier Bay.

Flightseeing Misty Fjords in a floatplane and make certain that the itinerary includes a landing on a lake and that the crew will assist you getting out of the plane onto a plane's float. This was one of the most memorable sightseeing experiences that I have enjoyed. As another poster stated, the opportunity is weather dependent.

Butchart Gardens in Victoria: so huge that one cannot see it all. I'd suggest some research to determine the areas on which you want to particularly see.

And, as another poster said, don't stay inside the ship all day or on your veranda when the ship is in a scenic area.

Definitely a whale watching excursion in Juneau. If you have enough time in Juneau -- take the Blue Bus out to Mendenhal Glacier -- drops you off right in that area and picks you up there. Check their bus schedule.

Sitka -- the Wildlife Sea Otter excursion -- we have done it a couple of times and saw lots of whales, sea otters, eagles, etc.

Ketchikan -- you never get enough time there to do so many wonderful things -- Saxmon Village, Totem Bight, walk over to Creek Street..

Have a great cruise.

Juneau - Photo Safari

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords & Wilderness Cruise, avoid the Duck Tour

Victoria - Either Butchart Gardens or Victoria Pedicab (Queen's Gardens). If you do Butchart, be sure to book through the ship, it's a pretty long drive.

On Scenic Cruising Day, order Room Service and enjoy the sight out our balcony.

Flight seeing. Any time, any place, you can get it.

I was given the flight seeing advice by the shore excursion manager on my first Alaska cruise. Didn't do it that trip, but have managed to do several flight seeing excursions on trips since then. Worth every penny.

I second the other suggestions given by DaveOKC. Every one excellent.

I also agree with the Wildlife excursion out of Sitka. Lots of great viewings.

Whatever you do, have a great time in The Great Land.

Sounds like your schedule is pretty fixed but so many people visiting Alaska have told us this.

"While we were there we should have included and done the land tour and train to Danali".

Hear this all the time but just the cruise is fantastic if that's all you have time for.

So many special scenes with wildlife, whales, bald eagles, etc. dictates everyone should have their own set of binoculars. Miss a lot if your sharing.

Enjoy your cruise. It's a fantastic adventure.

I have to agree with flightseeing. The most amazing photos I have are from those flights. Landing on a glacier or flying over the Juneau ice field. You will realize how insignificant you are. But be prepared for cancellations with fog or weather. Plan alternatives and plan options for rain (usually drizzly, rarely downpour). Further May & June are the drier months of summer and longest days.

But some of the best views of Alaska are by ship at sea and do not require a tour. If a chilly or rainy day, grab a wool blanket (usually by the pool towels) and head for a sheltered spot / deckchair on Promenade Deck under the lifeboats. You will likely see whales, porpoise and if the inside passage, doll sheep and eagles. I am always amazed how much I see and there is no one else around. Ask a steward to bring some green pea soup. On the old Rotterdam it was a typical glacier sailing with green pea soup, hot drinks and classical music on the decks. Soak it all in.

Weather changes a lot and quickly. Fog seems to bring people down, but the most spectacular scene I experienced was before dinner, in the Crows Nest on the Prinsendam. The fog was cascading down the mountains as we sailed through the fjord. The fog covered the water and the ship - up to the Crews Nest. It felt like the Crow's Nest was flying above the clouds. Only 3 people witnessed it and one was the bartender, but remains memorable for me.

If you like hiking, Gavan Hill Trail in Sitka is stunning. Views of Mt Edgecomb (the volcano over Sitka), and down over the harbor. June / July is best when all alpine flora is in bloom. Depending on your port time, one way is best. I hire a car to take me up to the top and hike downhill to the town.

A more moderate hike (read easy) is the Indian River Trail. Close to town and lots of wildlife, deer, birds and salmon should begin migration in the river. The is a beautiful waterfall at the end of the trail.

Another easy wildlife walk is in Ketchikan, the Whale Park Boardwalk on the eastern channel of the Tongass. It is designed to view whales feeding in the narrows, rich with herring. You are likely to see sea lions and raptors fishing. The most spectacular eagle encounter I had was at this park where eagles were performing aerial maneuvers while attempting to steal fish catches from each other.

Only you will know what is best for you, but the choices in Alaska are great and varied. One of them will likely give you that 'moment' that will last a lifetime, and likely call you back to Alaska.

I will be on Maasdam 2 days behing your on the 14 day sailing from Seattle to Anchorage. I believe we cross in Juneau or Sitka.

Enjoy.

Edited by TampaMike

So many great options in Alaska. Of course price is a factor, so its really hard to recommend one item over another.

Of the things we have done, my #1 favorite (for the ports you are going to) is the helicopter landing on the glacier in Juneau. A bit expensive, but something you will never forget. Great way to experience what glaciers are all about.

#2 is a flight seeing tour of Misty Fjords in Ketchikan. Again a bit expensive, but the views and landing in the lake is something unique. A word of caution - it rains alot in Ketchikan so you might get cancelled out (I would not go up in poor weather anyway).

#3 is also in Juneau - whale watching tour. You get fairly close to the whales.

#4 is Butchart Gardens in Victoria. While I am normally not a "flowers" person, this was amazing.

#5 a lower budget experience is in Juneau, going out to the Mendenhall Glacier park. You can take a local bus (white or blue) right near the dock for under $10 pp each way. Explore the park and ranger station, get a great view of the glacier and even hike out to get closer to it. Check the Alaska CC message board for more details on how to do this.

Since you will be going to Glacier Bay, I did not include this on my list, but it is also a great experience.

If you go to Mendenhall Glacier Park, and if you have a US National Parks pass, take it along with you.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Having been to Europe on many cruises, its time to go to Alaska. I kind of get the feeling this will be one of many cruises we will be taking to Alaska. Do want to do the Denali land and sea, but that might come next year. The flights from and to Northern Alaska don't seem like much fun when you are coming from South Florida.

Butchart Gardens in Victoria: so huge that one cannot see it all. I'd suggest some research to determine the areas on which you want to particularly see.
Takes me about 2 hours to see all the park when I visit in the day.

Everything , do everything!! Float plane , Mendanhall Glacier. ( Just take the bus , cheaper and stay as long as you want). Whale watching . Do all you want as it may never be an opportunity again.

TampaMike's comment about fog is spot on! The opportunity of being in it, a part of it while on the sea provokes a special travel memory for me.

Not HAL nor Alaska, but off the Grand Banks of Newfoundland on Royal Viking Sky, the ship was enveloped for much of the day in fog. Wrapped in a warm blanket, seated in a deck chair, listening to the fog horn, and watching the wisps of fog move about the ship: one of my favorite travel memories!

I have to agree with flightseeing. The most amazing photos I have are from those flights. Landing on a glacier or flying over the Juneau ice field. You will realize how insignificant you are. But be prepared for cancellations with fog or weather. Plan alternatives and plan options for rain (usually drizzly, rarely downpour). Further May & June are the drier months of summer and longest days.

But some of the best views of Alaska are by ship at sea and do not require a tour. If a chilly or rainy day, grab a wool blanket (usually by the pool towels) and head for a sheltered spot / deckchair on Promenade Deck under the lifeboats. You will likely see whales, porpoise and if the inside passage, doll sheep and eagles. I am always amazed how much I see and there is no one else around. Ask a steward to bring some green pea soup. On the old Rotterdam it was a typical glacier sailing with green pea soup, hot drinks and classical music on the decks. Soak it all in.

Weather changes a lot and quickly. Fog seems to bring people down, but the most spectacular scene I experienced was before dinner, in the Crows Nest on the Prinsendam. The fog was cascading down the mountains as we sailed through the fjord. The fog covered the water and the ship - up to the Crews Nest. It felt like the Crow's Nest was flying above the clouds. Only 3 people witnessed it and one was the bartender, but remains memorable for me.

If you like hiking, Gavan Hill Trail in Sitka is stunning. Views of Mt Edgecomb (the volcano over Sitka), and down over the harbor. June / July is best when all alpine flora is in bloom. Depending on your port time, one way is best. I hire a car to take me up to the top and hike downhill to the town.

A more moderate hike (read easy) is the Indian River Trail. Close to town and lots of wildlife, deer, birds and salmon should begin migration in the river. The is a beautiful waterfall at the end of the trail.

Another easy wildlife walk is in Ketchikan, the Whale Park Boardwalk on the eastern channel of the Tongass. It is designed to view whales feeding in the narrows, rich with herring. You are likely to see sea lions and raptors fishing. The most spectacular eagle encounter I had was at this park where eagles were performing aerial maneuvers while attempting to steal fish catches from each other.

Only you will know what is best for you, but the choices in Alaska are great and varied. One of them will likely give you that 'moment' that will last a lifetime, and likely call you back to Alaska.

I will be on Maasdam 2 days behing your on the 14 day sailing from Seattle to Anchorage. I believe we cross in Juneau or Sitka.

Enjoy.

Hey Tampa Mike, where is the whale park boardwalk? Never heard of it. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Hey guys, will be leaving for Alaska in 17 days, an I can't wait. Gettin ansy.:eek:

Having been to Hawaii, and taking the helicopter ride across Hawaii's grand canyon, I can see us doing the helicopter that lands on the glacier. Appreciate the suggestions!!

If you can afford it, do it. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and well worth it!

(Our other helicopter excursion was on the Big Island, BTW)

Edited by Boytjie

I thin DaveOK nailed it spot on...

we have been to Alaska twice, took the Whale watching escursion in Juneau with Alan Marine both times, If we go back, we will take it again.

Not listed on Daves list, I would have to add:

The White Pass and Yukon RR in Skagway - even if you are not a trainiac... the view coming back down of the ships in the harbor is quite amazing.

And don't forget to try the Alaskan brewery beers on board the ship and at all the eating establishments in all the towns. Speaking of eating... fish and chips in the smallest hole in the wall eateries go around the corner from the main streets - crowds are smaller - can't get any fresher fish!

See the whales - watch from the ship - sit near the windows at lunch ! Watch for the "blows" (FREE!)