Celebrity.com / Infinity news blackout

Ox Fan Cruiser

How often do we hear a business tell us to not listen to rumors? If there is any news about us, "WE" will let you know. For the family back home of the passengers on board the Infinity, they would like to hear some updates on what is happening. You would think you could get that info from Celebrity.com. NOPE, as far as their website is concerned, it never happened. Bad marks on you Celebrity, you failed in PR on this one.

Edited by Ox Fan Cruiser
mis-spelled word in title

How often do we hear a business tell us to not listen to rumors? If there is any news about us, "WE" will let you know. For the family back home of the passengers on board the Infinity, they would like to hear some updates on what is happening. You would think you could get that info from Celebrity.com. NOPE, as far as their website is concerned, it never happened. Bad marks on you Celebrity, you failed in PR on this one.

Just possible, quite possible that they do not have enough 'credible/reliable' information about the incident to post anything yet?

From the few reports which have been posted here, no injuries to report so no Titanic or Lusitania here.

If you have family or friends on this sailing, have they not called you with information to pass on?

I Am sure X has dispatched a team to the location to determine and scope out the situation with a full report to come, unless you want speculation?

A quick search on the internet proffered this 'local' report.

You can follow this thread, locally on CC for reports from those who are aboard currently.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I will just say to the "have those on the ship not called family" question that it is highly possible they have no cell service. I don't care what the coverage maps say, having been to AK twice, cell coverage is spotty at best. And there aren't that many places that have WiFi either - and what is there is not great. So I don't think it's that strange that people on board might not have been able to contact others at home yet.

That said - from all reports there were no human injuries (at least no serious human injuries), so I don't get the hyperness about not hearing from family. It's not even close to the same category as a plane crash.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

IMHO, a statement should have been posted. Even though it didn't say much in real info. It should contain a promise of more info to come when more is known. It's just the right thing to do.

As before RCLcorp (mother company) has posted on Twitter. They react pretty fast on Twitter with any incident with their ships.

steamboats

As before RCLcorp (mother company) has posted on Twitter. They react pretty fast on Twitter with any incident with their ships.

steamboats

Thanks, I did just see a post on my twitter account from RCL, so something was posted, it is quite possible that the OP does not have an account or checked it, like myself.

bon voyage

It's fine that RCI "Tweeted" info. But if the cruise line is Celebrity info should be coming out by them not just their parent company. "Tweeting" isn't enough alone. Both their websites should provide info. We know that no sever injuries happened. But what about delays in returning to home port? What about the next cruise passengers? They must be wondering if repairs will cancel their trip. Celebrity dropped the ball on this one.

It's fine that RCI "Tweeted" info. But if the cruise line is Celebrity info should be coming out by them not just their parent company. "Tweeting" isn't enough alone. Both their websites should provide info. We know that no sever injuries happened. But what about delays in returning to home port? What about the next cruise passengers? They must be wondering if repairs will cancel their trip. Celebrity dropped the ball on this one.

My guess is that if there is any affect on the next sailing, those on the next sailing will be contacted.

And if there will be a delay in disembarking, those on board will be told and arrangements will be made to help them make any required changes to post-cruise transportation.

Not stuff the general public needs to concern itself with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Looks like a very windy day and a Pilot who might have misjudged it. I'm sure he is not a happy camper today.

Nobody got hurt and what damage there was will be fixed.

There's a youtube video posted on this site. It was a slow-motion accident that would've generated a shudder at most onboard. There's very little damage to the ship - mostly cosmetic damage that wouldn't affect sea-worthiness..

I just believe that whenever there is an incidence like this the Cruise line itself would want to be the first ones to issue the facts that are known at the time. Update them as needed and stop misinformation from spreading. Silence on there part leads to false rumors. Like in politics. define yourself before the other guy defines you.

I just believe that whenever there is an incidence like this the Cruise line itself would want to be the first ones to issue the facts that are known at the time. Update them as needed and stop misinformation from spreading. Silence on there part leads to false rumors. Like in politics. define yourself before the other guy defines you.

This was the sailing equivalent of a parking lot accident. It hardly calls for a press conference. With the video hitting the internet two minutes after the accident, there's not a lot more to say.

This was the sailing equivalent of a parking lot accident. It hardly calls for a press conference. With the video hitting the internet two minutes after the accident, there's not a lot more to say.

It is an accident that could have been avoided. Unlike parking lot accidents, this accident caused millions of dollars of damage to the Ketchikan port facilities and hopefully Celebrity will do what is necessary to ensure that the damage is fixed as soon as possible so that the berth can become operational again soon at the busiest time of the season.

Infinity luckily did not suffer major damage during this incident and most of the damage can be painted fixed quite quickly.

It is also lucky that the port staff who were on the pier ready to secure the vessel managed to get to safety before the vessel hit the pier otherwise this incident could have caused loss of life or major injuries to the port staff.

Wow, this is a very tough crowd.

The most important item is hopefully no one was injured.

I am sure news will be forthcoming.

And I wonder how anyone knows whether or not this accident was avoidable.

Keith

Wow, this is a very tough crowd.

The most important item is hopefully no one was injured.

I am sure news will be forthcoming.

And I wonder how anyone knows whether or not this accident was avoidable.

Keith

Rated: A++++ yet, there is no satisfying some posters, in terms of 'readily available information' fully, as we understand it.

I Am not on X's facebook page and as such would only know the information as posted above by someone who is.

Never-the-less, I Am sure once X determines the extent of damage to the vessel and sea worthiness by the U.S. Coast Guard, then the appropriate reach out to next set of passengers will be triggered and not before.

As for those on board now, it has now been 'publicized' what is going on and how X and its' Captain has communicated to passengers and staff.

So we may have dodged a bullet as far as that, communicating with passengers, goes... even compensation to a great degree although I do not doubt that someone will want something more than offered etc.... :)

At any rate, bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I thought this link contains an excellent description from an observer. I have copied the relevant part below the link.

http://mvwildblue.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/2016-13-cruise-ship-damages-city-float.html

About 1:30 the Pearl was leaving southbound in the big winds while the Celebrity Infinity waited patiently about a half mile north and astern of the Pearl. So with all the noise generated by the ships engines, thrusters, etc, we moved up to the pilot house to watch a professional un-docking and docking exercise.

The Pearl made a clean exit into the heavy winds. Then Infinity started approaching from the north. As she nosed her bow towards the City Float cruise ship dock, a big gust pushed her bow even further towards shore. Moored just to the north of City Float is the Zaandam. Having watched many a ship dock here in Ketchikan, it appeared to Alex, that Infinity was too close to shore, and too close to Zaandam! Alex stated this fact out-loud, but failed to start rolling the cell phone video. Darn!

Both the Infinity's stern and bow thrusters running hot apparently couldn't keep the ship from gaining towards shore and the moored Zaandam. A bow only starboard thrust would allow a soft landing square to the dock, but would push the stern to port and shore-ward, and since the Infinity's stern was overlapped with the forward part of Zaandam, a collision would occur. The pilot's only choice was to continue thrusting to starboard and moving forward.

When the forward sections of the Infinity hull ground into the City Float piling, a loud metal-on-metal noise could be heard. Once clear of Zaandam's bow, the stern thruster helped square up the boat. But the cruise ship dock, catwalk, piling, auxiliary inside float and Infinity's port side suffered.

I thought this link contains an excellent description from an observer. I have copied the relevant part below the link.

http://mvwildblue.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/2016-13-cruise-ship-damages-city-float.html

About 1:30 the Pearl was leaving southbound in the big winds while the Celebrity Infinity waited patiently about a half mile north and astern of the Pearl. So with all the noise generated by the ships engines, thrusters, etc, we moved up to the pilot house to watch a professional un-docking and docking exercise.

The Pearl made a clean exit into the heavy winds. Then Infinity started approaching from the north. As she nosed her bow towards the City Float cruise ship dock, a big gust pushed her bow even further towards shore. Moored just to the north of City Float is the Zaandam. Having watched many a ship dock here in Ketchikan, it appeared to Alex, that Infinity was too close to shore, and too close to Zaandam! Alex stated this fact out-loud, but failed to start rolling the cell phone video. Darn!

Both the Infinity's stern and bow thrusters running hot apparently couldn't keep the ship from gaining towards shore and the moored Zaandam. A bow only starboard thrust would allow a soft landing square to the dock, but would push the stern to port and shore-ward, and since the Infinity's stern was overlapped with the forward part of Zaandam, a collision would occur. The pilot's only choice was to continue thrusting to starboard and moving forward. ...

I'm assuming u really meant to type "captain" and not "pilot".

I'm assuming u really meant to type "captain" and not "pilot".

If you followed the link it was just a copy and paste but keep in mind it was an observer that wrote it so they probably were assuming.