Friend wants 9am flight in Miami--disembarks in Ft Lauderdale

myfuzzy

Need input from others for my friend who wants to take a cruise from Ft Lauderdale. However, the flights she wants are into Miami. On dis embarkation day she has to get to work, she works 3-11. She thinks she can get off the ship by 7, get to Miami airport by 8 and get the flight by 9 so she can get home by noon and have plenty of time to get to work. I told her she is nuts, but won't listen to me. I told her I would pose the question here to see what others think....thoughts for her. (P.S. we are NOT sailing together)

Just because they say they will dock at 7am that does NOT mean they will let passengers off by then. It all depends on Customs and when they are ready to release the ship.

Then you have to make the trek from Miami to FLL which I believe is about 23 miles. Depending on how many ships are in port at FLL the airport could be a zoo!

No way would I even attempt this....but if your friend tries it, tell her to be sure to have a Plan B because she will probably need it...:eek::eek:

Just so you know I'm "rolling my eyes" at this one. I have been sailing for many years and pretty much know the "ins and outs" of the routine.

She thinks she can just "walk" off, hop a cab and be on her way. She thinks Miami airport is 15 minutes away and can just walk through security, she doesn't realize Miami is a "real" airport, not like hers at home, where there are only 5 gates and maybe 10 flights a day. She might need plans "C" and "D". I would never let her make travel plans for me! But, I do love her dearly.

Edited by myfuzzy

Tell her we are all smiling and knowing she will not make it. (looks like someone on standby will have a seat) I mean honestly hasn't she been listening to the news about the lines at the airport!

Absolutely no way. With a 9 am flight she needs to be at MIA by 8 am (earlier is better especially given TSA backups) and that isn't going to happen with a 7 am arrival. As others have said, a 7 am arrival doesn't mean disembarkation begins at 7 am. When disembarkation opens all those passengers with early flights will be trying to be first off. She will still need to stand in line for customs and immigration.

She had better have a plan B. Can she catch a later flight? What costs will she incur? Will there be available seats (if it is high season, don't count on it)?

If she persists with this, I hope you don't spend your entire cruise worrying about her decision. You tried to advise her and she didn't listen.

Hi there

I would try to convince her that it isn't a good plan, but if she chooses to go ahead with that option, wish her luck and book a later flight for yourself.

Really, even if it were out of FLL it wouldn't be a good idea, but people try almost anything and sometimes make it, but you don't have to.

have a great cruise

Tell her that you asked the question on a cruise forum and that you would like to show her the answers that you got. It's your friend so I think that they will appreciate that you asked others who choose flights post cruises on a regular basis to give their honest opinion.

Your friend is stark raving bonkers and also a total idiot and I am being kind in my description of her. Whatever other plans that she makes for any other trip as you are lucky to not be going on this one with her, make sure that you do not participate. Horrible things will happen to you if you do.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I hoppe she likes long stressful days at airports. That is what she will have. She will be hanging around MIA hoping to be high enough on the wait list for the later flights. Quite likely she will spend the night in a hotel and fly home the next day

Actually she is a co worker, a 20 something ish, who is traveling with her girlfriend. Traveling for them is a backpack and bottle of water. No cares. They kind of expect you to stand aside for them and feel sorry for them so they get what they want.

Actually she is a co worker, a 20 something ish, who is traveling with her girlfriend. Traveling for them is a backpack and bottle of water. No cares. They kind of expect you to stand aside for them and feel sorry for them so they get what they want.

Looks like a lesson in humility is long overdue. Just step aside and let it happen; don't even show her this thread if you haven't already. As it will also not be worth the energy to say "I told you so" when she returns to work a day or more late--she sounds just like a typical Millennial; trying to engage with them logically will only waste your own brain cells.

Edited by fishywood

Actually she is a co worker, a 20 something ish, who is traveling with her girlfriend...

In that case, you don't want to make things awkward between the two of you upon her eventual return, so I say just reiterate what you've already told her, wish her the best, and let he go on her way. Just reading your posts, you don't seem to be the kind of person to rub it in her face or say "Na na, told ya so!".

You know they can't make it, we all know they can't make it... as someone else said, perhaps she needs to learn this lesson.

LOL - wish her the best of luck; we've come into FLL at 7:00 and have not had clearance for people to leave the ship until 8:30. Then there are the huge lines in the terminal, as well as serious long lines at the airport. Please do come back and let us know how it went for her. Such an entitled attitude.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

If she won't listen to you she's probably not going to pay attention to us. I'd just let her learn her lesson the hard way...and not tell her about possibly self-disembarking, checking in for flights ahead of time from the ship, traffic issues, TSA lines, etc. And whatever happens, please don't agree to work for her at the last minute when she calls in saying she missed the flight!

Need input from others for my friend who wants to take a cruise from Ft Lauderdale. However, the flights she wants are into Miami. On dis embarkation day she has to get to work, she works 3-11. She thinks she can get off the ship by 7, get to Miami airport by 8 and get the flight by 9 so she can get home by noon and have plenty of time to get to work. I told her she is nuts, but won't listen to me. I told her I would pose the question here to see what others think....thoughts for her. (P.S. we are NOT sailing together)

She is nuts!! The MIA airport is a zoo. Even if by some miracle she was able to disembark by 7, clear customs quickly and get to MIA by 8. Checking in and TSA will not get her to boarding gate on time. Been there!!

People at work know I have cruised a lot, and a lot of them have asked me questions on the in's and out's. I ask them questions about likes and dislikes and can steer them to the right cruise line. I have even told a couple of them cruising is not for them and I wouldn't even advise it. All I can do it give my opinion and let them do as they please. I just stand by, listen, and smile sweetly, inside laughing my a** off. Its their money, I can't do any more for them.

As of now, she hasn't booked anything, and I really don't think they will. But, I will keep this thread handy to bring up, if she has any more bright ideas.

Ahh, another millennial special snowflake. Reality will rear it's ugly head at some point, and this may be that moment. If all the stars align they might make it, but the best advice so far is that she should have multiple back up plans and a credit card with a large limit