Charges while on the ship?

4olivers

If you register a credit card (which is what most people do), it will be charged. You'll get an overall accounting on the last night of the cruise.

You can check your balance whenever you want by looking at the Princess app on your phone/tablet/computer, or go to the kiosk near passenger services desk, or ask for a printout at passenger services.

It's a good idea to check at least daily, to make sure there aren't any mistakes.

Don't know if you need to check daily but do check at least the day prior to disembarkation so you can clarify and adjust any mistakes before the giant lines form on that day. Mistakes are not uncommon.

Charges will be posted to your onboard account daily. If you have registered a credit or debit card, small holds will be placed daily to ensure you have adequate funds for the amount to be charged. These are pending charges, not actual charges and make no difference on a credit card, however can wreck a debit carb.

The total charge is only put through once, at the end of the sailing, this is the only acrual charge to your card. The holds/pending charges drop off your card within a few to 10 days or so, depending on your card's policy. This is what can wreak havoc with a debit card though, as the holds - while not actual charges, do tie up your funds.

You can pay cash at any time against your account, including settling your entire bill. If you opt to pay cash for the whole bill, you'll need to tell them at check-in and there's often a minimum amount you need to put down. As charges add up against your balance, you'll be notified if you need to put more down...

Hope that was clear. If I'm incorrect somewhere, please correct me...Happy sails!

Edited by reedprincess

Don't know if you need to check daily but do check at least the day prior to disembarkation so you can clarify and adjust any mistakes before the giant lines form on that day. Mistakes are not uncommon.

We always check several times throughout the cruise.

You can pay cash at any time against your account, including settling your entire bill. If you opt to pay cash for the whole bill, you'll need to tell them at check-in and there's often a minimum amount you need to put down. As charges add up against your balance, you'll be notified if you need to put more down...

If you have a credit card on record, you do not need to put down a cash payment.

If you have a credit card on record and pay with cash the last evening of the cruise, nothing will be charged to your credit card.

If you have a credit card on record, you do not need to put down a cash payment.

If you have a credit card on record and pay with cash the last evening of the cruise, nothing will be charged to your credit card.

Except, in above example of paying by cash last evening even though a card is on file, there will still be holds placed on your card daily and theyll take a few to ten days or more to drop off...hence the issue if one uses a debit card initially but pays their bill in cash, or uses debit card to pay their bill, or even just uses a card to start their account but then pays in cash at the end - there will still be the daily holds.

If paying in cash from the start, ie no card registered - there's a deposit usually, then a call and hold placed on card when you've exceeded the amount on deposit until guest brings more cash to guest relations....

I thought it was obvious/a given in my paragraph regarding paying with cash that you didn't need a credit or debit card on file, but I guess not.. Thanks for adding that detail/clarifying it...

• 3 months later...

So to clarify (sorry brain not working properly). If I register a credit card and at the end of the cruise I have some dollars spare, can I pay off some of my bill using cash, and the rest with my credit card.

Coming from Spain I won't be needing to hold onto the dollars.

It is always embarrassing at the end of cruise when you go to one of the kiosks by guest services and print out your onboard financial reports. There have been several occasions when DW's expenditure report causes the kiosk to run out of paper!!!💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸😉😉😉😉😉😉

While on our recent Coral Princess cruise, I logged onto my Barclaycard to check on a few out of country charges and verify that there were no suspect charges. Under "pending" there were three very small Princess charges that matched identical postings to our on board account. The day after the cruise, the small pending line items disappeared and one final charge was correctly posted.

During the cruise, I used the kiosk adjacent to Customer Service to print a hard copy of our daily charges.

Darcy