Family of 5 BLOCKED

NJPrisonCop

Is anyone aware of a cruise line that will allow a family of 5 if they agree to it, sign a waiver, etc? My little man is only 6, my twins are 8 and then of course my wife and I. I do not want to get blocked from cruising because of this, and was wondering if there was a way around it. Right now, from what I could see the Carnival Dream and NCL Gem do have oceanview options for 5 but those ports of call and debarkation ports do not work for us. Anyone have any insight? Thank you.

Edited by NJPrisonCop

I don't understand who is blocking you?

If you want to have one cabin, then you would need to find ships that have cabins for 5. A travel agent should be able to help.

An alternative would be to get two cabins, splitting the adults with a child or two each

You are not blocked from booking two cabins or a multi-room family suite.

But for quite a few years now worldwide safety regulations prohibit ships from having standard cabins with a capacity higher than four. And no cruise line will make an exception even if the fifth soul is an infant, never mind a six year old. Older ships were grandfathered in when the rule took effect but there are now only a handful such as the two you mentioned left.

Edited by fishywood

Is anyone aware of a cruise line that will allow a family of 5 if they agree to it, sign a waiver, etc? My little man is only 6, my twins are 8 and then of course my wife and I. I do not want to get blocked from cruising because of this, and was wondering if there was a way around it. Right now, from what I could see the Carnival Dream and NCL Gem do have oceanview options for 5 but those ports of call and debarkation ports do not work for us. Anyone have any insight? Thank you.

We are a family of 4 but my oldest took a friend last year with us. We booked 2 cabins and put the kids in one and us (adults) in the other. On paper, it looked like 1 of us was in each cabin. Even when it is just the 4 of us, we book 2 cabins instead of cramming into one. That way we have 2 bathrooms. I do inside cabins so that makes it cheaper (I can't look out window anyway due to motion sickness haha).

You are not being blocked, you just need a cabin for 5 which may be hard to find. Call a GOOD TA or Carnival as I have seen cabins for 4 and Carnival has few cabins with a trundle bed for a 5th person or they can bring in a rollway bed which is folded up each day. Or all the ships have connecting cabins with a door between two cabins. That would work for you even though you pay for two cabins.

OK, maybe BLOCKED was a bad choice of words. Let's try again..... I am looking for one room. Not two. Is there a way around it. Sorry for not being more specific. And thank you for all the obvious answers (getting two rooms, etc).

My children are young. They do not take up much room. The girls fit in the fold down beds from the ceiling and my son either takes the couch or in bed with us. The small couch on the Summit this past week converted to a bed and was perfect. But we could not book that as a 5 person room.

All Carnival Fantasy class ships, as well as Sunshine, Triumph and Victory can put five in a cabin rated for 4. Crowded - yes. Celebrity M class have family verandah cabins for five but they book up fast. Millennium can put five in a cabin because she was launched in 2000. EM

Even though you're against it, two connecting cabins (with an interior door) will work for your family.

On Carnival you can cram five people in a cabin on the Fantasy class ships, Sunshine, Triumph and Victory. The Dream class ships and the Vista have Deluxe ocean view cabins meant for five, with twin/queen, two uppers and a couch. they have two bathrooms but only one has a toilet.

When are you looking to book?

Higher capacity cabins are in high demand when schools are traditionally on vacation.

Edited by SadieN

The Fantasy class ships are Carnival's, smallest, oldest ships.

I'd say look at the Sunshine, which is now our favorite ship. It used to be the Destiny but Carnival spent $155,000,000 redoing it and they have! (Don't get a cabin on deck 11 or 12. There are only two elevators that go there and you only get them in the very front of the ship and they go from deck 0 to 14 and they take FOREVER!) Look at deck 5, our favorite deck just past the back elevators, which is the very back of the Promenade deck with all sorts of activities- that you don't hear any time. All the cabins on deck 5 are for 4 with a pull down and couch and I have seen roll a ways there too.

Where in NJ are you? We used to live in High Bridge just past Clinton. Do you work in Annandale or prison on 513?

Edited by Bonnie J.

There is no "law" that restricts cabins only to 4 persons, but finding an inexpensive cabin that sleeps 5 is another story. Yes, you will need to call a TA or the cruise line.

Also, a ship's capacity is limited by the amount of life boat space available, do not assume that they can "pack" the ship. Some ships, maybe, other's no. Many ships sail at over 100% capacity, like 104%. This means that some cabins contain more than 2 persons. Thus, while additional berthing space might be available, they cannot book it as they will exceed life boat capacity. it's a balancing act.

HAL's new ship -- Koningsdam has 32 Family Cabins that will hold 5. The main bathroom has a toilet, sink, bathtub with shower and there is a partial bathroom with shower and sink.

The main bed is a queen size for 2 people, the sofa opens to a queen size for 2 people and there is an upper bed for 1 person.

Huh? there are a few cabins on each ship( in every line) that hold 5. on Royal you must call directly, you may not book online. or you purchase 2 cabins( connecting cabins are available with an interior door which is very popular with families with pre teens)

but no you may NOT cram more people than what the cabin is allocated for in. t this is a very strict rule that WILL NOT be bent. it has to do with lifeboat capacity and other factors.

ship cabins are MUCH smaller than their land based hotel counterparts. you really DO NOT want to cram 5 people in to a standard cabin.