Family of 5 BLOCKED

NJPrisonCop

As I know this to be a viable option that will not limit us on any cruise ship, I was looking to save money. Looks like I might have to research taking that route as well.

very very often 2 cabins is CHEAPER than one family cabin that holds 5 plus. especially when you do a balcony for the adults and an inside for the kids.

research the cost of a pair of Promenade View cabins on some of Royals' ships. no balcony, but a very nice window seat that overlooks the promenade( where a lot of the entertainment/parades happen) and there are connecting options available

OK, maybe BLOCKED was a bad choice of words. Let's try again..... I am looking for one room. Not two. Is there a way around it. Sorry for not being more specific. And thank you for all the obvious answers (getting two rooms, etc).

If you're looking to do only one room, there are ships that have rooms that can accommodate more than 4, but they are usually the suites (more costly). I do know Disney has family rooms that can take 5.

You'd have to do some research to find those cruise lines/ships that have that capacity.

Edited by Shmoo here

Kids are too young for their own room. Which is why we would like to stay in the same room. Either way, I will call around to the companies this week. Looking at New England / Canada next summer.

We always book connecting cabins for our family of 7 - we keep the door between the cabins open, it's just like having 1 cabin.

I also recommend 2 connecting cabins. NJPrisonCop, have you ever cruised? If not, as has already been pointed out, the rooms are very small compared to standard hotel rooms. With 2 rooms you'll appreciate the extra space and more importantly, 2 bathrooms. Also, in a regular cabin, I don't know where you would put clothes, shoes, toiletries, and suitcases for 5 people, even if some of them are children.

Roz

You will pay a lot more for a room that sleeps five. You will have more options if you pick connecting cabins with the door open. Just leave the door open all the time. You are in the same room then. This is no different then your house where kids sleep in their own bedroom. In fact, you will be closer because you can see them.

Edited by bearette

HAL's new ship -- Koningsdam has 32 Family Cabins that will hold 5. The main bathroom has a toilet, sink, bathtub with shower and there is a partial bathroom with shower and sink.

The main bed is a queen size for 2 people, the sofa opens to a queen size for 2 people and there is an upper bed for 1 person.

Seems to be the same cabin layout as Carnival's. Makes sense as they're part of CCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have 3 kids and were able to book adjoining rooms which seemed almost like a suite-we just kept the door between them tied open.. We used a good travel agent and she helped us get booked and ensured it was a good fit - they were both interior rooms. Good luck! Happy cruising!

Kids are too young for their own room. Which is why we would like to stay in the same room. Either way, I will call around to the companies this week. Looking at New England / Canada next summer.
We did two 5-day Canada cruises with our family of 5 in one balcony cabin on Carnival Victory - twice. The first time the boys were 13, 8 and 4; second time they were 15, 10 and 6. DH and I had the king bed, oldest son had the bunk bed, middle son had the sofabed, and youngest had a rollaway on the floor. Yes, it's a tight fit but it worked for us. What helped was booking a balcony - when we got ready for dinner those who dressed first would sit out on the balcony to give the rest of the family more room. It also gave DH and I some space of our own when the youngest was taking a nap (not that he did that often:p). You do need to call Carnival to make this reservation - it doesn't work online. And not all cabins will accommodate 5 - you need a cabin for four with the bed, sofa and bunk. They won't bring in two rollaways for a cabin designed for three.

I believe Carnival Sunshine (which is grandfathered to permit 5 in a cabin) is doing a couple of 5-day Canada cruises next summer (looks like August) out of NYC (the 4-day cruises will be going to Bermuda). In the fall she does 7-day cruises, which I would love to do but can't since DH is a college professor and the youngest is a high school football player.

Canada/New England cruises summer of 2017 departing from Bayonne/NYC limits you to....

RCI Anthem June 26, 5 nights and August 31, 9 nights.

Celebrity Summit June 27, 10 nights and July 7, 9 nights.

NCL Gem June 10 & 24 both 7 nights.

Carnival Sunshine has 4 night sailings on July 6 & August 3. 5 night sailings on August 7 & 28.

I did not include a Queen Mary cruise to Canada.

I just still don't get what the issue is.

Sure the number of cabins that take five is relatively limited.... But there are options.

It seems that the original poster thought that they would not be able to book a (as in one) room that would hold 5 people. He was apparently under the impression that all ship staterooms only hold 4, and was asking if they could sign a waiver to have 5 in a room, so that they wouldn't have to book 2 rooms.

It seems that the original poster thought that they would not be able to book a (as in one) room that would hold 5 people. He was apparently under the impression that all ship staterooms only hold 4, and was asking if they could sign a waiver to have 5 in a room, so that they wouldn't have to book 2 rooms.

Mmmmmmm.

:eek: five in a room.

Maybe five in a suite.

But most deck plans make it pretty clear what each cabins capacity is.

Some Royal Caribbean ships have family staterooms that are NOT suites; ie.; insides, windows only, etc.

They have the 2 standard single beds that can form one bed, 2 bunk beds,and a pull out couch that will hold up to 6.

There aren't too many cabin per ship, so booking early helps.

Aloha,

John

Some Royal Caribbean ships have family staterooms that are NOT suites; ie.; insides, windows only, etc.

They have the 2 standard single beds that can form one bed, 2 bunk beds,and a pull out couch that will hold up to 6.

There aren't too many cabin per ship, so booking early helps.

Aloha,

John

All the Disney ships have rooms (oceanview, verandah) that sleep 5. Not just the suites.

I just still don't get what the issue is.

Sure the number of cabins that take five is relatively limited.... But there are options.

Exactly.

Step 1) Get referral to a good cruise travel agent

Step 2) Call agent, tell him/her your needs

Step 3) Relax and look forward to your cruise.

I looked at one of the big travel websites and it appears that a family of five can share a cabin on the 5-day cruise on the Carnival Sunshine on August 7, 2017. At least it was letting get that far in the booking process with five people sharing a cabin.

To sum it up (as far as I understand it): OP is wanting one room for two reasons ... the kids are too young for their own room and price.

OP, I would suggest that you do some price comparisons between using two connecting cabins and one cabin that accommodates 5. I think that you will find that generally two cabins are less expensive because you can select lower cabin classes.

Check around and select a cruise that you think you would like and then call that cruiseline and see what is available. At this late date, you may have difficulty finding connecting cabins or a cabin for 5. There are a limited number of each on every ship and do sell out quickly.

Good luck hunting!

Thing is, you might be willing to cram into one stateroom, but a fifth, unplanned person would overcrowd the ship in other ways: One more person at the buffet, one more person in the pool, one more kid in the kids' club ... and so on.

I understand wanting to save money, but if you want to bring the whole family, you're going to need an officially sanctioned bed for every person.

Your least expensive option will probably be two CONNECTING interior rooms. This'll allow you and your spouse a room to yourself ... and the kids can share the second room. You'll have a door between the two rooms, meaning you can keep it open and keep an eye on them (which is wise). And you'll have two bathrooms, which you wouldn't have in a larger, 5-person room.

Edited by MrsPete

Thing is, you might be willing to cram into one stateroom, but a fifth, unplanned person would overcrowd the ship in other ways: One more person at the buffet, one more person in the pool, one more kid in the kids' club ... and so on.

The most serious overcrowding issue would be life boats/muster stations.