Norwegian Sky Going to Cuba!!!!!!

MrsPhoenix91

Interesting, no mention of having to do a compassionate cultural work programs while there.

That is not a requirement on fathom either. Just to take their cultural tours. Dominican Republic is the one that required humanitarian labor.

Anyways, I am interested to go. The Sky is probably significantly nicer than Empress of the Seas which is chomping at the bit to go.

Carnival's Fathom division is complying with current law by offering a "people to people" experience on its Cuban itinerary. Below are the categories that are allowed for US citizens to travel to Cuba

Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions in Cuba

Religious activities in Cuba

Humanitarian projects in Cuba

Journalistic activities in Cuba

Family visits to close relatives in Cuba

Activities in Cuba by private foundations, or research or educational institutes

Any type of support for the Cuban people

Exportation, importation, or transmission of information technologies or materials

Certain authorized export transactions including agricultural and medical products, and tools, equipment and construction supplies for private use

Official business of the US government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations

If your travel falls within one of these categories you are automatically authorized to visit Cuba legally without having to apply for a license.

Edited by NYcruzzer

That is not a requirement on fathom either. Just to take their cultural tours. Dominican Republic is the one that required humanitarian labor.

Anyways, I am interested to go. The Sky is probably significantly nicer than Empress of the Seas which is chomping at the bit to go.

Participation in humanitarian projects in DR is offered by Fathom, but not required. And reviewers who have been on Fathom to Cuba have mentioned getting waivers to not participate in the cultural tours.

Edited by SeagoingMom

Will definitely be keeping an eye out for further announcements and itinerary releases! Cuba has always been on my bucket list, and if they add Havana as a port on Western Caribbean itineraries, I am booking!

Curious, however, how is the Sky going to do this - changing/adding Cuba as a new stop?

Or, new itinerary and cancelling future sailings already book :D

Shipload of passengers - how many waivers are going to be granted for exemption to not take the cultural tours ? On what basis or criteria - since, a blanket exemption isn't likely to look good.

BTW, not a star attraction for us, nowhere near our bucket list.

For others - maybe. Charter & partner with Médecins Sans Frontières ?

The man could be right :rolleyes:

"We want to use Havana as much as possible because we believe that is a star attraction."

Delrio believes wrong.

It is for me, so I could easily say, "Del Rio believes right", but that's just silly, since we are all different. :rolleyes:

Why in heavens name would anyone visit Cuba and NOT do the cultural tours?

And with cruise prices there sky high while land prices are falling due to much better availability, if we did decide to return (which is probably unlikely now that it is the "trendy" destination) we would do a land tour again. Much easier to see a lot more of the island which Havana barely scratches the surface of.

• 4 months later...

I'm curious too, as to how NCL is going to do this. Are they just going to change the itinerary on the cruise passengers that have already booked during this time?

I'd be a little upset if I had booked a cruise vacation, thinking I was going somewhere, and ended up somewhere else. I could understand missing a port, or swapping a port to get away from bad weather, but to miss it just because NCL decides that they want to go to Cuba instead, just doesn't seem fair to their passengers.

I'm curious too, as to how NCL is going to do this. Are they just going to change the itinerary on the cruise passengers that have already booked during this time?

I'd be a little upset if I had booked a cruise vacation, thinking I was going somewhere, and ended up somewhere else. I could understand missing a port, or swapping a port to get away from bad weather, but to miss it just because NCL decides that they want to go to Cuba instead, just doesn't seem fair to their passengers.

Not starting until May means no final payments yet, so there is plenty of time to change and lose no money. It will probably be Havana instead of a Bahamas stop, is only 90 miles from Miami, not much of a change.

This is very exciting news! Cuba is a bucket list for us, but it will be way too pricey to fly to FL for a 4 nighter. We will have to wait for the 7 day trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or you could take a 7 nighter Sunday to Sunday on another ship out of Miami and then take the Monday to Friday to Havana. Or the Jade is doing 11 days out of NYC to Miami ending on a Monday, off one ship onto the next.:D

Or you could take a 7 nighter Sunday to Sunday on another ship out of Miami and then take the Monday to Friday to Havana. Or the Jade is doing 11 days out of NYC to Miami ending on a Monday, off one ship onto the next.:D

I'm on that 11 day from NY. I may just consider that and make it a full 2 week vacation!

Why in heavens name would anyone visit Cuba and NOT do the cultural tours?

And with cruise prices there sky high while land prices are falling due to much better availability, if we did decide to return (which is probably unlikely now that it is the "trendy" destination) we would do a land tour again. Much easier to see a lot more of the island which Havana barely scratches the surface of.

Because you had booked a Bahamas booze cruise and suddenly had NCL switch itineraries on you.

Not starting until May means no final payments yet, so there is plenty of time to change and lose no money. It will probably be Havana instead of a Bahamas stop, is only 90 miles from Miami, not much of a change.

True, but plenty of people will have non-refundable airfare and hotels lined up. Don't have a problem with the idea of adding Cuba, but not changing the itinerary on someone who is 6 months from sailing.