Do I believe my DH or not about using Tricare insurance while abroad?

My DH keeps telling me that we do not need to buy travel insurance while traveling abroad since we have Tricare, but I always buy it anyways. I would like to know if anyone has experience using Tricare instead of buying travel insurance (if any of you out there have). My DH said he will call them to find out for sure that they will cover us while traveling, but I would like to hear from people who have actually used it while traveling. Has anyone? Thanks!

My DH keeps telling me that we do not need to buy travel insurance while traveling abroad since we have Tricare, but I always buy it anyways. I would like to know if anyone has experience using Tricare instead of buying travel insurance (if any of you out there have). My DH said he will call them to find out for sure that they will cover us while traveling, but I would like to hear from people who have actually used it while traveling. Has anyone? Thanks!

You know, you'll get the best answer as to whether Tricare covers you out of country (which is where you'll be when board the ship), directly from Tricare.

You know, you'll get the best answer as to whether Tricare covers you out of country (which is where you'll be when board the ship), directly from Tricare.

Yes, I said he is calling, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually used it. I'm like that...

From the Tricare Website

http://www.tricare.mil/FindDoctor/Traveling/Travel_TSE

If Traveling Overseas

Make sure they cover emergency airlift and ship services as well as international.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

Good point, thank you.

From the Tricare Website

http://www.tricare.mil/FindDoctor/Traveling/Travel_TSE

If Traveling Overseas

Thank you for finding this site!

Your husband is doing the correct thing by calling Tricare. Make your decision after he has an answer.

My insurance company provides coverage worldwide, but I have to use a preferred provider in order to have coverage. I don't want to have to worry about finding a preferred provider when I'm traveling.

But more importantly my insurance doesn't cover medevacs and since that can cost $25k and up I buy insurance. Since it's just as inexpensive to get a comprehensive plan that's what I buy. I think our last policy was around $130.

Like Sparks, my insurance company provides coverage worldwide, but I have to use a preferred provider in order to have coverage. Also, it doesn't cover medivacs nor does it cover the cost of getting me back home. For the relatively small amt. of money travel insurance costs, why take the risk? At least that's the way I see it.

Roz

I'm sorry you were unable to find this information online, and am glad someone posted the link to Tricare. I don't know anyone who could accurately answer this question; you don't state what type of Tricare coverage you have, nor have you stated what you are looking to cover. Medical? Trip cancellation?

Hopefully, the phone call to Tricare will straighten this out for you.

I'm sorry you were unable to find this information online, and am glad someone posted the link to Tricare. I don't know anyone who could accurately answer this question; you don't state what type of Tricare coverage you have, nor have you stated what you are looking to cover. Medical? Trip cancellation?

Hopefully, the phone call to Tricare will straighten this out for you.

Thank you, and I appreciate everyone's input. Sorry if I am not clear. I am just trying to see if anyone has actually used Tricare while traveling. It is Tricare standard I believe and I was just thinking about medical. It's probably too much to hope that they would cover a medical evacuation, which I hadn't really thought about. I will keep buying insurance anyways, much to the dismay of my DH. I was just looking for info from someone with experience using Tricare, whether pro or con, to show DH.

Standard has crap for coverage when OCONUS. Medevac is not covered. And getting reimbursed after the fact is a major PITA. As in it took my friends over six months and they denied some of the expenses.. For a relatively minor medical issue.

You will be able to submit any bills to Tricare when you get home, but foreign countries will require payment at time of service....

Standard has crap for coverage when OCONUS. Medevac is not covered. And getting reimbursed after the fact is a major PITA. As in it took my friends over six months and they denied some of the expenses.. For a relatively minor medical issue.

That's exactly my fear. Thank you for responding. Now to get my DH to believe me! I tend not to believe anything that is said over the phone.

INSTEAD OF ASKIng us, I sugesgt you call and verirfy with Tricare. GThat iss shat matters,,, NOt what we say.

I am not asking anyone here what they will cover, I know better than that, I was asking for personal experience using Tricare while traveling.... And my husband did call, like I said he was going to in my first post. They told him that they will cover on board medical bills and out of the country services. Of course we would have to pay first and get reimbursed later. They do not pay for someone to be transported from another country to home, which is a biggie.

Be sure to peruse the Tricare website; for most retired members you will also pay the annual deductible plus a 25% copay for covered services, plus any excess charge above the allowable charge.

THAT is where they get ya! and also where foreign medical providers tend to pad the bill since they know they have too over a barrel.

Frankly we use Tricare as our LAST provider. as in we use them to maybe cover whatever regular travel insurance doesn't cover.

You will be able to submit any bills to Tricare when you get home, but foreign countries will require payment at time of service....

Not a hard, fast rule. My travel insurance handled every detail of my hospitalization in Italy. They didn't so much as ask for a credit card, and I never even saw a bill.

• 2 weeks later...
May I ask which company you used? Need to purchase insurance but really hate dealing with them, having to fight for reimbursement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It was Allianz, through the airline cruise booking.

My hospitalization was in Italy, a no frills, public hospital. The location can make a difference.

I did have to submit my $2000 onboard bill to my insurance company. It was a PITA because it took so long to finally learn that NCL doesn't use medical codes. My insurance ladies took care of me and applied codes - very nice service. Travel insurance picked up the 20% Prudential didn't cover.

In my case, it was the cruise line that put out the roadblocks. I will never book another cruise with NCL because of their terrible (sometimes nasty) customer service.

• 4 weeks later...

We always cruise with cruise/travel insurance. That being said, on an Alaskan cruise in 2014, I became ill and went to see the ship's doctor. Although we had cruise insurance, the cost of the medical visit and medication is put on the ship board account that must be paid prior to departing the ship. When filing the paperwork with the cruise insurance we learned that they are second payer. We had to first file with TRICARE (we are TRICARE Prime enrollees with United Health Care for our region). After getting the run around with United Health about what paperwork to submit, I finally called Tricare and was given the proper information. Paperwork to submit: DD Form 2642 (available online), ship's medical receipt, ships onboard expense showing the medical visit, and credit card statement showing payment made to cruise line. All this was mailed to Tricare Overseas, Madison, Wisconsin. Within a month of submitting the paperwork I received a check covering the medical visit and medication. Although TRICARE covered the medical expenses for onboard services, I do not know about coverage for medevac or for foreign hospital stays. Also remember cruise/travel insurance covers other things besides medical. So there is more to think about when deciding on cruise or travel insurance.

Paperwork to submit: DD Form 2642 (available online), ship's medical receipt, ships onboard expense showing the medical visit, and credit card statement showing payment made to cruise line. All this was mailed to Tricare Overseas, Madison, Wisconsin. Within a month of submitting the paperwork I received a check covering the medical visit and medication. Although TRICARE covered the medical expenses for onboard services, I do not know about coverage for medevac or for foreign hospital stays. Also remember cruise/travel insurance covers other things besides medical. So there is more to think about when deciding on cruise or travel insurance.

I have absolutely no bone in this as I am not and at this point in my life will likely never be in the military. However, thank you or your partner for your service.

Also, thank you for this information for others. In the military and in government, knowing the right form necessary to get things accomplished is often the largest hurdle.

Edited by cml4958

When filing the paperwork with the cruise insurance we learned that they are second payer...

It is sadly very common on this board for people to just get "travel insurance" without knowing what is actually covered, whether coverage is primary or secondary, and even what their actual insurance needs are. Some people expect insurance to "get them to the first port if they miss the embarkation." Well, travel insurance will reimburse their verified and covered expenses when they miss the embarkation under the acceptable and very specific conditions as stipulated in the policy. Don't assume anything else.

libraryPicard_1.jpg.htmlPicard_1.jpg

Reading terms and conditions is boring. Reading the fine print is a snooze. But when there is accident/illness/cancellation, all of a sudden it's wake up time. A few hours ago I purchased travel insurance for a land trip to Asia. I know I purchased primary medical coverage. I know I have a separate MedJet policy for evacuation to a US hospital of choice (under specified conditions, of course.)

The lesson here is to be your own advocate and understand what you are, and what you are not, buying. A phone call to the insurer is a great start. But phone conversations can be misunderstood, and it's easy not to ask all the pertinent questions. What really matters is the written insurance contract. Get it all in writing, and then READ it, because that is what the insurer and their lawyers will be reading when you make a claim. Don't "hope" about what it covered, KNOW what is covered.