Children in the Diamond Lounge?

My grand daughter had her 21st birthday on day 3 of a 7 day cruise last year. RCI would not serve her any alcoholic beverages during any part of the cruise.

That is because the cruise lines take the position that your age and status are based on the date you board and remain the same for the entire cruise.

ccotting mentioned the age RCI deem suitable for drinking which i believe is 21 in the US but talking about rules the legal age for drinking alcohol in the UK is 18 so a possible age confrontation.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I am 60 so age does not affect me but if any rules are to be broken,you can marry at 16, legally drink at 18 in the Uk so the 21 rule for drinking is the harshest rule for UK passengers to obey.

I am 60 so age does not affect me but if any rules are to be broken,you can marry at 16, legally drink at 18 in the Uk so the 21 rule for drinking is the harshest rule for UK passengers to obey.

Growing up in Michigan the state drinking age was 18 (eons ago when I turned 18). Many..many years ago ;)

it went to 21.

I was on the Majesty last month when a lady in the DL says "I'm still waiting for the Concierge to come around". I didn't want to be the one to break the news to her. When I left she was still waiting. :D

What is even funnier, is that the Majesty does not have a DL (Diamond Lounge) or even a CL (Concierge Lounge). Maybe she was on the wrong ship also? ;p:cool:

We do, however as you do, enjoy the D, D+, Pinnacle, Suite event in the VCL. Nice sushi too!! :D

Very interesting thread.

Well behaved children should be welcomed in the Diamond Lounge. Ill behaved ones should be asked to leave.

There are plenty of adult only places on the ship and parents will have spent more for their cabins.

The behaviour of some of the adults in there quite frankly eclipses any children's.

Very interesting thread.

Well behaved children should be welcomed in the Diamond Lounge. Ill behaved ones should be asked to leave.

There are plenty of adult only places on the ship and parents will have spent more for their cabins.

The behaviour of some of the adults in there quite frankly eclipses any children's.

If they are well behaved and there are sufficient seats for all Diamond and D+ members but not if it means bonafide members can't sit down.

My grand daughter had her 21st birthday on day 3 of a 7 day cruise last year. RCI would not serve her any alcoholic beverages during any part of the cruise.

That is bizarre.

I know on Disney, as of 12:01 on the day someone turns 18 they are no longer allowed in the teen club but are allowed in the 18+ areas of the ship.

Did your granddaughter attempt to get a new key card on her 21st birthday removing the minor status from the card? I wonder if that would have worked? A friend on a group cruise I was on had a card mistakenly coded as a minor (she was well over 21) and was unable even with ID to get any drinks on her card until she got a new one because it was coded "minor".

That is bizarre.

I know on Disney, as of 12:01 on the day someone turns 18 they are no longer allowed in the teen club but are allowed in the 18+ areas of the ship.

Did your granddaughter attempt to get a new key card on her 21st birthday removing the minor status from the card? I wonder if that would have worked? A friend on a group cruise I was on had a card mistakenly coded as a minor (she was well over 21) and was unable even with ID to get any drinks on her card until she got a new one because it was coded "minor".

She tried to get a new key card, but RCI would not give her a new one. As earlier stated, RCI's policy is your age on day 1 of the cruise determines your status for the entire cruise.

She tried to get a new key card, but RCI would not give her a new one. As earlier stated, RCI's policy is your age on day 1 of the cruise determines your status for the entire cruise.

Actually up until very recently (2 months ?) under their FAQ's there was verbiage that stated that upon turning 21 guests could go to guest services and have their account adjusted to reflect the change on age and they would be allowed to drink. There have been several reports of people being allowed to start drinking partway through the cruise after turning 21.

With the recent changes to Royal's search feature and FAQ's I can no longer find this however it simply states that guests must be 21 to drink (North America) and makes no reference to the age on day of departure being the age for the entire cruise.

If they are well behaved and there are sufficient seats for all Diamond and D+ members but not if it means bonafide members can't sit down.

So are you saying that my kids who have sailed over 80 nights and in their own cabin is it has been at full rate are not bonfire Dismond members?

As long as kids are allowed they have just as much right to a seat with us as does anyone else. If you don't like the policy sail on another cruise line that isn't geared towards families.

Crazy. If I was or had someone cruising with me turning 18 or 21 during the cruise, that would definitely steer me away from RCCL - or at least make me wait until AFTER their birthday if it was going to be a big deal.

Or if I had a teen who would be in the club and possibly having someone of age in there...

Very bizarre policy IMHO - especially since you're providing ID that clearly shows when the birthday occurs.

So are you saying that my kids who have sailed over 80 nights and in their own cabin is it has been at full rate are not bonfire Dismond members?

As long as kids are allowed they have just as much right to a seat with us as does anyone else. If you don't like the policy sail on another cruise line that isn't geared towards families.

Agreed Ken.

Don't you know that it is understood that new Diamond members have to give up their seats in the Diamond lounge to passengers with more points[emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't know what a bonfire Dismond member is lol.

I was referring to the fact kids were not allowed under 21 but if there is room and they are well behaved i would have no objection.

Glad you agree, since kids get the same status as their parents that makes them bonafide members.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

During cocktail hours i thought you had to be over 21 to enter whether they are Diamond or not?.

As was already posted. There was a change in policy within the last year.

Any guest under 21 shall be accompanied by their parent or guardian. No restrictions on cocktail hours.

See item #7

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/legal/#7

I consider Toby and Sarah very well behaved young adults