In My Next Life I will at Some Point Work on a Cruise Ship...You?

Nope.

As a fat lazy American, I know how great I had it working in a country where labor laws actually protected me from being treated as an indentured servant.

Happily retired now. No desire to work at all, and no desire to have to work in another life.

:p

:D When I get mad at the family, I tell them I'm going to run away to be a dancer on a cruise ship. What I really mean is that I want to be on a cruise ship without them since I don't dance... trust me I'll hurt myself, but I also think the dancer job may be the best one on the ship. That and a scrapbook teacher :)

I guess I'm a minority here but I would love to play in one of the bands in the main theater. In my younger days I played drums so I pay close attention to the music played during performances.

Yes these guys also have long hours, but play many different stiles of music and the constant changing of entertainment on a ship, never a dull moment.

One bad part would be the requirement to play music on deck as the ship was sinking (Titanic) :eek:

Don

It really depends on what "work" you would do on a ship! No..not my cup of tea! A friend of mine played music (guitar) on Carnival for 10 years....he has no family, so it worked for him, but the pay isn't great and the hours are quite long....

After reading this UK Mail story makes me wonder if I should've worked on a cruise ship, I understand all the long hours and work....but the partying and carousing sounds like fun.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3694413/Reddit-users-reveal-craziest-stories-cruise-ships.html

I'd just come back as a Rock Star. Lots of partying and carousing but with shorter hours and better pay!:)

I wouldn't want to work on a cruise ship, but I would like to plan the trips. Everything from the cruise itself to airfare and independent excursions - the whole package - for clients. Still working on whether this is a feasible job. I'd be like the travel planner for the lazy and those that hate to research anything.

Don't think so. Maybe if I was younger. Most staff have little free time, get paid little, and are not always treated nicely. Maybe if you work in a shop or in the spa, as they seem to be able to eat at the buffet (as I have seen on Princess) and shop people are off duty when the ship is not moving. I would rather keep my day job and cruise a few times a year :)

There are many opportunities and careers in the cruise industry... ones has to follow ones passion -

That "boat" has sailed for many though. It's a young-person's game. You hardly ever see any crew members that appear older that about mid-30's, except for the odd Cruise Director and even they are officers, not crew. Not sure if that's due to how rigorous the demands are or if there's some sort of exclusionary hiring.

I wouldn't want to work on a cruise ship, but I would like to plan the trips. Everything from the cruise itself to airfare and independent excursions - the whole package - for clients. Still working on whether this is a feasible job. I'd be like the travel planner for the lazy and those that hate to research anything.

That job is called "Travel Agent" and while it's not super-lucrative anymore, it's also probably not all the difficult to get into.

I have a good book recommendation for anyone who's ever considered this:

Cruise Confidential (A Hit Below the Waterline) by Brian David Bruns. The story goes that he was the first American to ever complete an entire contract wait-staffing on Carnival. It's a hilarious and eye-opening account of his experiences, working onboard various ships. :D

I have a good book recommendation for anyone who's ever considered this:

Cruise Confidential (A Hit Below the Waterline) by Brian David Bruns. The story goes that he was the first American to ever complete an entire contract wait-staffing on Carnival. It's a hilarious and eye-opening account of his experiences, working onboard various ships. :D

I read two of the series of three, but wouldn't recommend. Unless you like endless pages describing the most gorgeous women on the planet while our hero sticks to his plan to see his beloved girl again, while suffering from the worst managers one can imagine who'd at one point even cheat him out of having food altogether. One thing however that feels to be true, but he didn't write it that literally, is that most young, Western crew are having a "camp leader" experience more than thinking they'll be crew forever.

Also not recommended (at all!): "Joshua Kinser. Chronicles of a Cruise Ship Crew Member." A drummer. On a ship. Not a snippet of information, but you will know a lot about Joshua Kinser.

For similar books, but written better and showing more real situations, at least they say they are, I'd suggest Cruise Ship SOS by Ben MacFarlane describing what a ship's doctor has encountered on a ship (condensing the stories into one long cruise) and The Captain's Log by Hans Mateboer who did experience some weird things while becoming and being a Captain (only changing names).