Off topic from fashion.......

Lois R

52 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks Melody...….they told me all kinds of things before I was released but I didn't remember anything about

bruising but I guess you are right.....after all, he had to cut......so bruising would be normal.  Can't figure out

the best way for the ice pack though...trial and error. Put a wash cloth on my skin and then the ice pack or

just the ice? Or bra first? Guess whatever feels best...probably everyone has a way that works best.

Never put an ice bag directly on the skin, ice can cause damage. A washcloth then the ice bag is perfect. No more than 30 minutes at a time. 

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Never put an ice bag directly on the skin, ice can cause damage. A washcloth then the ice bag is perfect. No more than 30 minutes at a time. 

Oh...well, I tried it directly for about 1/2 hour. I hope that won't damage it but I will continue to put the wash cloth on the area first going forward. I had been putting it on but thought I would do it that way once.

As for the 30 minutes? The paperwork says I can do it for more if I want. I have been doing it about

30-40 minutes.....

37 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Hi Lois,

I agree with Melody about the bruising and  the ice procedure. Glad your pain isn’t too bad. I think it’s normal to not recall everything we are told after having anesthesia. Take care and enjoy a day without worry.😊

Sharon

Sharon, not too much pain thankfully....more soreness (I guess that could be considered pain)

Hi girls....been a trying couple of days:classic_sad:....had to take pain meds.....but I guess that is what they are they for...…...

The swelling has not gotten worse but I guess it takes time for it to really go away.  You know the question,

"Does it hurt"? Only when I move LOL....not that bad really but I keep remembering it was surgery so

maybe it takes time...…...it was on Wednesday....so it is now the 3rd day. And the kicker.....the Dr's office

said no shower until after my first post op visit--that is Tuesday but the hospital said I could shower after 48

hours.  I was going to do it today but am hesitant...….so maybe  I need to go with my gut. The tapes covering

up the area will get wet.:classic_wacko:

Seems very confusing to me.

Hi Lois, 

I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad it was caught so early. I had a double mastectomy early last year, which was a challenge at the time but I’ve recovered well.

For showering, you can get a product called Tegaderm, it’s a protective bandaid style product that goes over your dressing, so long as it’s not huge. My local grocery stores and Walmart carry them. Bandaid also makes a shower dressing product but it’s not as effective as the Tegaderm. 

You should also make sure someone is there with you (in case of falling), and if you have a handheld shower head, it’s better to use that than a regular shower head because you can direct the water better. 

Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lbjen said:

Hi Lois, 

I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad it was caught so early. I had a double mastectomy early last year, which was a challenge at the time but I’ve recovered well.

For showering, you can get a product called Tegaderm, it’s a protective bandaid style product that goes over your dressing, so long as it’s not huge. My local grocery stores and Walmart carry them. Bandaid also makes a shower dressing product but it’s not as effective as the Tegaderm. 

You should also make sure someone is there with you (in case of falling), and if you have a handheld shower head, it’s better to use that than a regular shower head because you can direct the water better. 

Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery! 

Oh my......sending you all my best wishes...….this is very small compared to what you went through. 

Thanks for the bandaid advice. But there is nobody here with me...….it is just me. I did a sponge bath but

haven't washed my hair yet. At this point, I will just wait till I see the Dr. on Tuesday and do more sponge

baths. If I feel up to it, my CVS is not a 2 minute drive away....I could go and pick it up there.  My guest bath

has a hand held.

Thank you again.

If you’re able to lean your head back, you could also call your hair salon and ask if they will do a wash and blow dry for you. One friend gave me a gift certificate to get that done after my surgery that came in very handy. I actually cut my hair short after the first of my three surgeries, because my husband made such a mess of washing it for me 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lbjen said:

If you’re able to lean your head back, you could also call your hair salon and ask if they will do a wash and blow dry for you. One friend gave me a gift certificate to get that done after my surgery that came in very handy. I actually cut my hair short after the first of my three surgeries, because my husband made such a mess of washing it for me 😁

HI,..... my hair is very short already.  And I thought my guest bathroom has a hand held...…I am wrong.

I was going to try and wash it myself.   While I am sitting there is no pain really--soreness. But when I get up or down

it hurts somewhat. I guess this would be normal.

Hi Lois,

Sounds like a trying and confusing situation. So sorry that things hurt but like you said that is what the pain meds are for. Must be a normal result of surgery or they would probably have told you to just use Tylenol.  Sometimes I think that the older we get the more difficult healing seems to be. Remember how quickly our scrapes and bruises healed up when we were kids? Well, for me at least, that sure isn’t the case now!😡.  Is there a phone number on your post op instructions sheet that you can call? I know it’s the weekend but hopefully someone will give you a call back.  Or, does your health insurance plan offer a “nurse help line” that you could call and ask some questions? 

Positive thought coming your way and keep us posted-we are all hoping that this will soon be behind you😊

Sharon

Hi Sharon, I will be ok---will do nothing again tomorrow and will call the Dr's office Monday morning.  My post op

check up is Tuesday. The number they gave is the Dr's office...…I don't think it is really an emergency. I am not

bleeding or anything. So, I will see how I feel tomorrow.

Sharon, I took your advice after thinking about it and called the Dr---answering service called me back but it was

actually one of the gals who works at the office.....she said what I am describing sounds normal as he cut 2 different

spots and one is a more tender area so it will look red---more red. (It does). I told her I am taking the anti-biotic

he prescribed and no shower. She said good and unless something else happens I should be good till Tuesday

morning.

• Like 2

That’s why they give you the telephone number, they want you to call to allay your fears. I bet you rested better after talking to the nurse. Good luck on your Tuesday postop. Melody

Hi, yes..…..it helped for sure. Still sore but I suppose that soreness is going to be there until it eventually goes away.

Maybe he can give me a better idea when I see him.  AND I would really like to take a shower:classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

Hi Sharon, I was able to go out for a little while this morning and found a 2nd bra---I had found a WACOAL that I have been using. But I remembered SOMA carries all kinds of them. They have a front closure

(no wire). Very soft and still supportive. So at least I have 2 now. I almost started to cry again when

I was thanking the girls in the store.:classic_sad: They were very kind......it gets emotional sometimes.

• Like 1

Hi Lois, feeling up to getting out for a little while seems like a good sign that healing is coming along. Although I haven’t bought anything at Soma, I have friends who have been pleased with their service and purchases. Sounds like your experience was also a good one.

Sharon

On 11/27/2019 at 6:58 PM, Lois R said:

Thanks so much....surgery was today and the Dr said ALL GOOD:classic_smile:......nothing more positive---which is GREAT.

No cancer cells showing anywhere else----post op visit is Tuesday but just want to say THANK YOU for the prayers

and wishes.

Wonderful news! I'm so relieved and happy for you.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, Lois R said:

Hi girls....been a trying couple of days:classic_sad:....had to take pain meds.....but I guess that is what they are they for...…...

The swelling has not gotten worse but I guess it takes time for it to really go away.  You know the question,

"Does it hurt"? Only when I move LOL....not that bad really but I keep remembering it was surgery so

maybe it takes time...…...it was on Wednesday....so it is now the 3rd day. And the kicker.....the Dr's office

said no shower until after my first post op visit--that is Tuesday but the hospital said I could shower after 48

hours.  I was going to do it today but am hesitant...….so maybe  I need to go with my gut. The tapes covering

up the area will get wet.:classic_wacko:

Seems very confusing to me.

It often helps to take pain meds when you start feeling it, rather than waiting until it gets really bad.  Unfortunately our bodies do take some time to heal and pain is part of that 😞 It might be TMI, but many pain meds can be constipating so try to push fluids (unless told otherwise), watch diet, and maybe add a stool softener.

Sponge baths can do wonders and I second the idea of treating yourself to a professional wash & dry for your hair.

On 11/30/2019 at 9:04 AM, lbjen said:

Hi Lois, 

Hugs to you as well and glad you have recovered {{{lbjen}}}.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and kind words.:classic_smile: 

1) TMI....not really, we are all females who have experiences that help......I know Anesthesia can cause constipation.

I feel ok in the digestive area.

2.)PEAS.....I just don't feel like going to the store to buy a bag.....I decided to use a Ziploc and just watched the clock.

30 on and 30 off.

3.) Called the Dr Sat night because the area around the incision looked more red than black and blue. They called me

back and said he had to make 2 cuts and one was in a more tender area...….but she (the gal who called) said as

long as I am not bleeding or draining and taking my anti-biotic I should be good till tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Hi girls...the appt went well. He said there were no signs of anything in the nodes.....now, he still waiting for the

full pathology report to come back...it should be this afternoon or tomorrow. But he was quite confident about it. And

as for treatment? He said that is up to me and my Dr (he is the surgeon) so not his decision.

Not sure if you recall, but have something call CML (it is not a terminal cancer) but I see a Hematologist

every quarter to make sure my white count is ok. Anyway, I am going to speak with him about this breast surgery

and see what he says.

Oh, the bruising is normal..the Dr did say to make sure I wear a supportive bra. So, I went out and got

2 more from Wacoal....no wire. And the gal who helped me was WONDERFUL. :classic_smile:

I went to the store and got a bag of FROZEN PEAS:classic_biggrin:...…..and he said I could go back to work

tomorrow.

I love all of you and your concern for me is overwhelming.

• Like 3