Cartagena Colombia Dangers?

MauiGOOT

Aloha! Just curious if those of you who have had more recent experiences could help with thoughts on the current safety in Cartagena Colombia... I recently got an email from Cruise Safely Newsletter that puts the port as one of the world's most dangerous cruise ports. The article said there are roadblocks frequently set up with the express interest in robbing or kidnapping travelers :eek: http://cruisesafely.com/worlds-dange...9990-280870165

We be on a Panama Canal trip which will include a stop in Cartagena. We will usually do ship's excursions in more questionable areas, and this sounds like definitely one of those. We will take precautions and not bring more valuables on shore than what we are willing to lose, but is it even worth it? We are currently scheduled for the half day 'Cartagena Highlights' excursion from 8:30 am- 1:30 pm. Should we take a pass and enjoy Cartagena from the ship instead? What were your recent impressions? :confused:

This the first time for us to be in any of these areas, but the other ports seem benign compared to Cartagena. Thanks for any help!

Hogwash! Just got back this week after a week in old town. Great shopping and food. City gets active after dark. Cabs are cheap. You can get a gourmet dinner for about $30 which would cost one $100. I felt perfectly safe in this beautiful colonial city

Beautiful colonial city, would be a shame to miss. We took a ship's excursion because we didn't know what to expect. The most annoying thing was that we were mobbed by cheap trinket sellers. When we walked off into side streets, this harassment ended. The sellers stuck to certain areas only.

And before we visited, I had visions of drugs baron & robbers fighting on every street corner. :rolleyes:

Super place.

We took a shared tour, many others just took taxis to the city centre.

No worries.:)

JB :)

Aloha! Just curious if those of you who have had more recent experiences could help with thoughts on the current safety in Cartagena Colombia... I recently got an email from Cruise Safely Newsletter that puts the port as one of the world's most dangerous cruise ports. The article said there are roadblocks frequently set up with the express interest in robbing or kidnapping travelers :eek: http://cruisesafely.com/worlds-dange...9990-280870165

We be on a Panama Canal trip which will include a stop in Cartagena. We will usually do ship's excursions in more questionable areas, and this sounds like definitely one of those. We will take precautions and not bring more valuables on shore than what we are willing to lose, but is it even worth it? We are currently scheduled for the half day 'Cartagena Highlights' excursion from 8:30 am- 1:30 pm. Should we take a pass and enjoy Cartagena from the ship instead? What were your recent impressions? :confused:

This the first time for us to be in any of these areas, but the other ports seem benign compared to Cartagena. Thanks for any help!

We walked off the ship, by chance met up with another couple we knew. The four of us got a cab, had a good 6-hour tour. Partly based on what I said we wanted to see, partly based on the driver's knowledge of the city. Scenic city, we had a good stress free day. It helps if you speak reasonably good Spanish, but it is not mandatory.

We were there in April and were perfectly safe. The old city is amazing and we were treated with respect and friendly attitudes everywhere we went. Go over to the Columbia forum and read about all of the options. I recommend Dora for an unforgettable tour.

We have been to Cartagena twice and did private tours both times, but the tours remained within the old city. Other than the hassling from vendors and beggars it was OK. I would not go out of the confines of the old city though JMHO.

One tour was with Dora the Explorer and the other with Duran Duran.

We where there in february. Didn't know what to do so we started walking. We walked the whole way from the port into the fortress and then over to the old city. Didn't feel unsafe at all. Took a cab back to the ship since we where to tired to walk all the way back.

I have been to other stops in the Caribbean where I have feelt more unsafe then in Cartagena, Barbados for an example.

I don't know anything about Cartagena, but I notice that both Turkey and Mexico are in the list. I would not hesitate to go to Istanbul or Kusdasi in Turkey, nor would I hesitate to go to Costa Maya, Cozumel, Cancun, or any of the other Mexican ports, so I suggest giving the advice the value that you feel it is due, which to me, means that it is worthless.

We did the carriage ride thru the old city in February of this year when on a Panama Canal cruise. We felt very safe, lots of other tourists there and at the fortress. Just remember that the city is very near the equator and it is very hot so don't forget the sunscreen, a hat, and water. Have a great time.

We have been to Cartagena twice including one overnight. Did tours both times and saw a lot of the colonial old city and learned much about the history. Felt perfectly safe at all times. One tour was a walking tour and we not always cheek by jowl with others on the tour, but again, never felt like we were in any danger at all. BTW, to correct misinformation above :roll eyes:, Cartagena is in Colombia which is in SOUTH AMERICA.

I have a hard time taking anything from Fox News seriously. A lot in the article is just not an issue when it comes to cruising. How many cruise ships goes to Venezuela or Acapulco these days?

Cartagena, one of the worlds most popular cruise ports? For real? Compare it to Nassau, Cozumel, Barcelona and so on, and the ships per day ratio will be a lot different.

Edited by Extra Kim

Watch out for the white face clown, black jacket and top hat. He has a large flower in his lapel. It squirts water.

Safer than Englewood area of Chicago or Overtown, Miami. By all means, take a tour of Cartengena..it's pretty tame around the typical Cruiseship sites. LocoLoco1

When we were there we were with a group oh 16 people and took a private tour of the old city. It was fantastic and I never saw anything even a little bit unnerving. I have been more intimidated in Jamaica and Belize than I was in Cartengena.

I also would never believe anything written by someone employed by Faux News...

Perhaps the writer just completed reading "News of a Kidnapping" by Gabriel Garcia *******. (it's actually an excellent book by one of my favorite authors)

Felt safer in Cartagena than in Falmouth and Belize.

We had a problem in Belize with someone almost pushing us down near the ship's entrance. This guy appeared to be high and was cursing and pushing everyone in his way.

But as someone said on this thread, this could happen anywhere.

The only place we would not venture out again in is Falmouth. We had walked to town last time and encountered numerous extremely rude vendors and people who really tried to scam us.

Thanks everyone... I figured it might be 'hogwash', but you want to realize what you may be up against. You don't want to expose yourself unnecessarily if you are in a known area for danger. Goodness... Olympians robbed at gunpoint in Rio? I know, opportunistic and it can happen anywhere. I was worried that personal safety might be a real challenge in Colombia so I went to the best source.... fellow Cruise Critics who have had recent experiences! Thanks for setting the record straight and for allaying my fears! ;)