Cruising to Europe

lilaclily

We would love to go on a cruise to Europe. However the long flights from USA there seem a bit daunting, as we are older. I cruised on NCL last time and liked it, but I am open for suggestions. Cant seem to find any cruises with ports that start in USA? Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Edited by lilaclily

Cruises from the USA to Europe generally go in the spring; cruises to the USA from Europe generally return in the fall.

But Cunard generally runs back and forth most of the year.

Edited by Viv0828

There are regular transatlantic son Cunard from NY to Southampton. You could then book a second local cruise in Europe.

A reposition cruise starts in the US and ends in Europe, typically at the start of the Summer season; but you still have to fly back as they are one way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have posted, cruise ships have seasonal bases.

So a lot of ships will sail from the US to Europe in Spring, offer European cruises til Fall, then return to the US & offer cruises to places like the Caribbean thro the winter & return to Europe next Spring.

Those changes of base are called re-positioning cruises. They're usually very good value because it's a journey they have to make, and because it means only a one-way airfare.

And Europe, especially the Mediterranean, is ideal in Spring. :)

Usually they include a few ports at one end or the other, but of course a lot of days are at sea.

Lots of re-positioning cruises to choose from, but only in Springtime.

Or Cunard offer one-way trans-Atlantic crossings most of the year, usually between NYC and Southampton, England.

So going on a re-positioning cruise & returning on a Cunard ship can avoid long flights completely.

JB :)

We are big fans of transatlantics in the Spring. On a cost per day basis they can't be beat. 12 or 15 nights for around $990/pp (balcony less inside). Also, above a certain number of days many lines double the points or days in their loyalty programs. We made Platinum on RCCL in three cruises. Our Miami to Rome trip was the best cruise we've ever done - so far. ;) We love the relaxation of the sea days.

Only downside to the eastbound Spring repos is all the sea days are at the start and then port-port-port which can be exhausting. But we want to avoid hurricane season and the Spring ones we've done were very calm seas. We have also been lucky to score good return air fares on Aer Lingus and Alitalia (flight operated by Delta).

We feel the same way because we have to fly all the way from the West coast (another 5 hrs) & layover times on the East coast. We are in our 60's & have been doing this since 2000. We always fly Business with our AMEX sky miles. It really helps to be in Business, but it is still a long flight. Regent includes Business with penthouse & above. We just came from Southampton to Montreal on Azamara. Very nice crossing although, some rough seas! The QEII would be a good option for round trip. We just don't like all formal things this line has. We have had enough formal nights & prefer not to dress up so often.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check out holland America Rotterdam, it's round trip from ft lauderdale....leaving this october 28-December 9.....stops in serval ports in Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Gibraltar, Morocco, some are over night .....unpack one time and same cabin the entire cruise, great way to see Europe .....this is a cruise for older crowds, very very if any children.....great price....there are still cabins available.....holland America does this every year.....this is our second time and many of the folks going have done this 2 plus times.....hope this helps......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Princess also offers multiple repositioning transatlantic cruises on several ships each Spring, and those same ships are repositioned back the US in the Fall.

I have done 2 westbound TAs and 1 eastbound and enjoyed all of them very much, as I am a big fan of sea days. I have another westbound coming up shortly.

I will say that fares for TAs used to be really good deals, but as their popularity has increased, so have the fares.

Now that we have the time we cruise one direction for Europe trips - such a nice way to go. I also have a lot of miles so I am able to fly the other direction first class on points - the only way to fly! If you do not have a card that earns points and love to travel - get one. I put everything on mine.

We do not cruise once in Europe - we prefer to move at our own pace and travel for a month - next trip will be about two and a half months on the ground in Europe. Cruising is just too limiting and too short in each port.

We are sailing from Brooklyn Red Hook to Southampton, Queen Mary 2 October 11, 2016.

We will spend some time on other travel in GB and Africa then will board RC Navigator Of The Seas November 10, 2016 to Miami FL.

We did the reverse of above earlier this year. It worked very well.

We feel the same way because we have to fly all the way from the West coast (another 5 hrs) & layover times on the East coast. We are in our 60's & have been doing this since 2000. We always fly Business with our AMEX sky miles. It really helps to be in Business, but it is still a long flight.
If you are flying to Europe in business from LAS, I really can't understand your strategy.

First, you have a 5 hour or so flight to JFK in domestic F (which is no great shakes), then you get business for only the second half of the trip. Flight times from the east coast to Europe aren't really long enough for good, solid sleep. You are paying for that flat-bed seat - USE IT.

I would highly suggest you fly from LAS to either SFO or LAX, then take a nice business class flight to Europe from there. Plenty of time onboard for both your meal and a solid 6+ hours sleep - more if you skip the dinner and just zonk out. You will max out the business class experience, get your rest and the time will likely be about the same or less than when you head to JFK first.

Just a thought that you might want to consider.

Love cruising to different destinations but Australia is so far from anywhere. In June it was 26 hours travel time to Copenhagen. Next year it is another horrendous time to get to South Africa. I am treating myself to a stopover in Dubai this time.

I did cruise from Australia to Southampton but it was 54 nights, a long time to be away from home.

Until they develop my space transporter I will just have to "enjoy" those long flights. The option of not cruising is a no brainer