Binoculars

waterfall9

I have a relatively small and inexpensive size pair that I use at sporting events as they are easy to carry on a belt holster. I take those on board with me. It's interesting to see islands as you pass as well as other ships. But they really don't get a lot of use with me which is why I didn't buy larger or more expensive ones.

Could anyone please help with what kind of binoculars are best to take, I know nothing about them at all, would a pair of cheap ones do ? Or are they really needed for a cruise ?

I always carry a pair of 9 x 50 - not the most powerful, but reasonably price - I believe you can get a pair of Bushnell with built in compass for $75 or so. Really cheap or lower powered ones really are not worth the cost or luggage space.

They are good when sailing near land or when passing other ships or encountering whales, etc.

We have a fairly nice pair we take EVERYWHERE! They aren't the most powerful, but it give a pretty good view. The higher the power, the harder it is to find what you're looking for in the distance...and the movement of the ship means you'll have a harder time keeping what you're viewing in sight.

They don't need to be the best, but it's nice to have something...lots of ships to look at...land masses, perhaps....

Could anyone please help with what kind of binoculars are best to take, I know nothing about them at all, would a pair of cheap ones do ? Or are they really needed for a cruise ?

I'm not sure that I'd say needed.

I guess an Alaska cruise they'd be close to a must have.

Like anything with aliens the more you pay the better they'll be.

I have 3 pairs of Binoculars (small, medium, and large). One our first cruise, I brought the small ones for the portability of them, but found them of limited use. On our second cruise, I brought the medium ones (which could still go on a belt but were a bit bulky). Better, but still kinda longed for the view from the big ones.

On our next cruise in 4 weeks, I will probably not bring any. If we were going to Alaska or the Panama Canal I would bring the good ones, but we try to be extremely careful in not over-packing and for a Caribbean cruise I just don't think they would warrant the space.

I tend to use them on Day 1 as we sail away, but then forget about them most other days. It takes an intentional trip back to the room to get them at other times and I usually don't bother.

Don

I have 3 ,one that costs $500 but it is large and takes up a lot of room in my carry on ,one that I got from my TA for booking my initial cruise with her .It is mid size and is very convenient to use and one made from plastic that is quite small .I usually take the latter.

IMO, taking binoculars on a cruise ship is a waste of luggage space and weight.

But, if you really need to get a better glimpse of whatever, do know that most sailors/mariners use 7x50, which will let you see the difference between a mostly submerged nuclear sub's conning tower and a mid-channel marker 100+ yds. away .

A good benchmark pair like Steiners will cost about $300. There are cheaper ones (check out the West Marine website). But, optics are definitely one area where "you get what you pay for."

7x35 8x40 10x50

The first number is the power, the second number is the size of the lens.

The bigger the first number, the closer everything will look. However, as you go beyond 10 power, hand holding becomes difficult.

The second number is the light gathering ability. Divide the second number by the first number (35÷7=5, 40÷8=5, and 50÷10=5). The larger the result, the better you will be able to see with less light. So a 7x35 and a 7x50 will both bring make things look seven times bigger than they are, but the 7x50 will be easier to see objects in shadows or at twilight. Of course as the size of the lens increases, so does the size, weight, and cost.

Here are a couple of links that provide additional info ...

http://http://bestreviews.com/best-binoculars

http://http://www.ebay.com/gds/BINOCULARS-What-to-avoid-and-what-to-look-out-for-/10000000006881542/g.html

7x35 8x40 10x50

The first number is the power, the second number is the size of the lens.

The bigger the first number, the closer everything will look. However, as you go beyond 10 power, hand holding becomes difficult.

The second number is the light gathering ability. Divide the second number by the first number (35÷7=5, 40÷8=5, and 50÷10=5). The larger the result, the better you will be able to see with less light. So a 7x35 and a 7x50 will both bring make things look seven times bigger than they are, but the 7x50 will be easier to see objects in shadows or at twilight. Of course as the size of the lens increases, so does the size, weight, and cost.

Here are a couple of links that provide additional info ...

http://http://bestreviews.com/best-binoculars

http://http://www.ebay.com/gds/BINOCULARS-What-to-avoid-and-what-to-look-out-for-/10000000006881542/g.html

This was some good information. Good points to consider. Thanks

I take my Nikon Rubber Coated, Water Proof, 10x42, medium size on each cruise. They have provided good service on several cruises.

Bob

Same here. I love having them because I spend a lot of time outdoors on every cruise. I take them on all my cruises, and look at the shore, other vessels, and even the open ocean. Be sure they have a neck strap, because you wouldn't want to drop them over the side!

Some will claim you don't need them, others will say only if you're going to Alaska, while still others say they wouldn't travel without them. I'm in the 3rd group. Mine get unpacked and sit by the balcony door. I like to watch port activities from my balcony. I like to look at the island while in port. I like to look at other ships at sea. Whether I'm in the inside passage to Alaska, heading to Curacao, or sitting at the dock in San Juan, I like to look at the surroundings and see what's going on. Binoculars get me closer. I take them on every trip. The ones provided by the cruise lines tend to be poor quality.

10x tends to be hard to hold steady for any length of time. 7x or 8x will be easier to manage. If you have a Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop/big sporting goods store nearby, go check some out. It's easy to get sticker shock with binoculars, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get something decent. For $80 you can get a solid pair of Bushnell H2O 8x42 waterproof/fogproof binocs on Amazon. You can get a Bushnell H2O 8x25 waterproof/fogproof set for $30, also on Amazon. I'd go that route and see if it's something you'll use. Good luck.

I'm one of those folks who like to watch the world... which at sea is one of the most enjoyable things that can be done.

What's that bird?

What is that bird doing?

Is that a whale? What's it doing?

See that ship, is it the Apartment of the Seas?

Is that glacier going to drop a growler or bergy bit?

And so on.....

My wife and I have spent many hundreds of days at sea, and given the price of time at sea (don't work it out, it will scare you) we don't want to miss anything. So at sea I use full weatherproof Image Stabilised binocs - yes, they are expensive but they get a LOT of use at sea and I get to see things that 99% of people completely miss. Beluga whales, glaciers calving, a puffin diving into the sea to avoid a skua.... all memories that are priceless. But they are large and heavy, too heavy to carry everywhere, especially ashore.

So ashore my wife and I carry small pocket binocs, strapped to our belts. Depending on your own needs and eyesight you can get them for anything from $50 to $$$$. And to be honest even the cheapest will capture much of what I use the big binocs for.

Thus it's up to you as to what you want to see/remember, and what you want to and can afford to pay.

On my last cruise out of an Icelandic Fjord, with my "big" binocs I saw 14 separate pods of humpback whales, I could observe them on the surface, and I could see them prepare to deep-dive.....memories that I will always have.

VP

Edited to add: the previous poster wrote that 10x are hard to hold steady for any length of time. My Image Stabilised are Canon 15x50IS designed for marine use and they are very easy to hold steady - but they are expensive.

Edited by Vampire Parrot

Adding on from my previous post:

Any binocs at all - that you will always have with you - are better than none.

The little binocs I have with me almost all of the time show me things I'd have never seen. Get small cheap binocs and you'll see so much more than folks without binocs. Spend more and see more. The choice is yours.

VP