Latest Arrival in Fort Lauderdale for 4 pm cruise departure

zachnyc

WE are considering at flight that gets us in to Ft Lauderdale at 1:15. I know the cruise terminal is close to the airport but the cruise leaves at 4 pm. Factoring in the possibility of a 1-2 hour flight delay, is this worth taking the chance? Obviously I realize it would be better to get there the day before but the flight options are much more expensive. Any advise?

WE are considering at flight that gets us in to Ft Lauderdale at 1:15. I know the cruise terminal is close to the airport but the cruise leaves at 4 pm. Factoring in the possibility of a 1-2 hour flight delay, is this worth taking the chance? Obviously I realize it would be better to get there the day before but the flight options are much more expensive. Any advise?

Absolutely no way!!! Your cruise leaves at 4:00 but you have to be on board at least 45 minutes beforehand. That timing is just way too tight! Weather, flight delays, getting luggage. Just way too close.

Are there no flights that get in earlier that day??

Edited by cjskids

You mention price is cheaper for this flight.

Now consider a delay and you missing the ship. The cost to get you to the first port of call on your own will certainly be MUCH more than choosing a different flight.

I would do my best to not arrive the day of the cruise.

You run the risk of missing the ship should your flight be cancelled or delayed.

Can this happen? Yes.

If you have to fly in the day of the cruise I would arrive early morning.

You will need to be on the ship 90 minutes prior to departure.

Keith

I would fly in the day before. If you are talking about your cruise next March, there is a good chance of weather delays during that time period. I would check to see if there is a red eye flight or really early in the morning. Is the stress worth it to you? Only you can decide that.

Have you looked into flights arriving into Palm Beach or Miami? Look into those and getting a one way car rental or Uber. Sometimes that works out really well.

Edited by ReneeFLL

A redeye flight from JFK/LGA-FLL :confused: OP I would take the earliest morning flight if you must fly day of. We often do a redeye from LAX-FLL when we have no other choice and can't arrive the day before.

Absolutely no way!!! Your cruise leaves at 4:00 but you have to be on board at least 45 minutes beforehand. That timing is just way too tight! Weather, flight delays, getting luggage. Just way too close.

I agree with everything except your timeline - cruise check-in cuts off at least 90 minutes prior to sail away (sometimes 60, but not 45, in my experience).

OP, if everything went perfectly and you landed at 1:15, you deplane and get your luggage by 1:40, find a cab and get to the port after 2 if there is no traffic on the road or heading into the port, can you see how this is a disaster? You will not make this and the stress alone should tell you NOT to book this flight. Red-eye or day before, please. :)

Where is your cruise going? If you miss embarkation, you may or may not be able to fly to the first port. It just sounds like way more trouble and expense than booking a reasonably-timed flight in the first place.

If flying the day of your cruise cant be avoided, take the earliest one you can ( fly direct, no connections ). Arriving no later than 10-11am. Better to be early than late for your cruise. Using the 10am arrival time, getting your baggage and a ride to the port, you will be having lunch on board by noon.

I believe all passengers need to be on board by 3 PM for a 4 PM sailing. At least that's what my paperwork says for my upcoming cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.