NCL Dining...on a no salt diet

mickeysgal

I'm cruising to Alaska with my mother and my aunt. They are on doctor's orders for a no salt (Aunt) and very low salt (Mother) diet.

We have a specialty dining package so we are planning on our three nights in those restaurants and the rest in the MDR.

Do I speak to NCL beforehand about this? Are there options on the menu? I'm the group travel arranger...so I'm trying to take care of these items for them. They've never been on a cruise and I've never had those restrictions, so this is all new to me too. Thanks.

While this doesn't cover you I presume that you should do the same thing. From the NCL site.

What about special dietary needs?

If you have any food allergy or a dietary requirement that requires Kosher meals or gluten-free food product, please advise a Norwegian Reservations Agent, or your Travel Agent at the time of booking. Obtaining the product for many of these requests requires 30-days notice prior to sailing, and we want to ensure that we are able to fulfill your request.

We've sailed NCL three times with a child with celiac. For the MDR's, we just planned her meals ahead of time. However, in the specialty restaurants, they would let us know what was gluten free, and make small modifications to entrees already on the menu.

Do a search for the Access Desk number. Give them a call and explain the situation. They will make a note in the reservation and it should show every time their card is swiped.

By giving enough notice, it should not be an issue to make accommodations.

You MUST contact them ahead of time. Salt is used in excess in every item that comes out of the kitchens. It is almost impossible to avoid and is going to take a special effort. It doesn't matter where you eat, salt is what is used to hide the fact that they do not use the highest quality food supplies.

I overheard a guy in the MDR one day telling a waiter that he's on a strict no salt diet, and that even the tap water on the ship has enough salt in it to make him bloat.

Don't believe him on that point, there is no more salt in the water on the ship than there is at home, in fact there is usually less than at home.

I overheard a guy in the MDR one day telling a waiter that he's on a strict no salt diet, and that even the tap water on the ship has enough salt in it to make him bloat.

The cause for water retention in ships' water is chlorine, not salt.

I never use the salt shaker on any cruise. All of the lines seem to be generous with the NaCl. But NCL seems to me to be the worst offender. So do whatever you can both ahead of time and again on the ship to make sure the food is salt free. Good luck.

I have requested low salt meals on my cruises before. Contact whomever you used to make your reservation, and make known your restrictions.

Also, let your maitre d/waiter know about your request, and they may be able to set up meal for the next day. This you can do with the MDR, I don't know about the specialty restaurants though.

I will tell you this, avoid the buffet!

Hope this helps.:)

I'm cruising to Alaska with my mother and my aunt. They are on doctor's orders for a no salt (Aunt) and very low salt (Mother) diet.

We have a specialty dining package so we are planning on our three nights in those restaurants and the rest in the MDR.

Do I speak to NCL beforehand about this? Are there options on the menu? I'm the group travel arranger...so I'm trying to take care of these items for them. They've never been on a cruise and I've never had those restrictions, so this is all new to me too. Thanks.

Important Information for Guests with Special Needs

The fun and excitement of Freestyle cruising should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. That's why we are committed to providing all of our guests the freedom of choice to cruise your way.

In order to accomplish that goal, Norwegian Cruise Line has a seasoned group of cruise professionals who are specifically trained to meet your needs through our dedicated toll free number for accessible travel 1-866-234-7350). Norwegian Cruise Line's team of Access Coordinators at the Access Desk have experience in furthering Norwegian Cruise Line's mission to provide a safe and accessible cruise experience for all guests with special requirements to the extent that is feasible. The Access Desk Coordinators will discuss with you your needs and expectations for your cruising experience. You or your travel agent will be contacted so that we can try to meet your needs prior to your cruise as soon as we receive your Special Accommodation Requirements Information form available from our Access Desk. Norwegian Cruise Line has Access Officers who will be the primary go to person for all of your needs.

In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-234-7350 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us.

Good luck, the one constant I've found in all NCL food is that it is all very very salty.

I agree that cruise ship food tends to be salty.

A suggestion- try to eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible.

Stay away from casseroles and foods with sauces.

Drink as much water as possible .

Consulting with the staff concerning dietary requests is a good idea, but you can also make prudent food choices to help you to keep within your dietary guidelines.

Drinking water is normally low on sodium, and I checked with PKChEng, our resident chief engineer who has worked on cruise ships, about possible sodium in the water due to water softening, but he assured me the water on board does not flow through a softener. So, the water probably has less than the 9mg of sodium per 8 ounce glass that most municipal water systems have. We have no way of really knowing because I don't believe they test the water for sodium levels on board. (Water that "tastes salty" usually has about 200mg per liter, which is pretty high).

I would also check with their doctors to see if the low salt diet is absolutely necessary and if they can relax the standards for a week. There are very few people who need a low sodium diet; the link to blood pressure occurs only in a very few people and the studies show no significant statistical advantage to a low salt diet for controlling blood pressure. But, that new advice does not apply to people with compromised kidneys and some other diseases, so check with the doctor first.

Concerned about sodium, best to avoid/stay away from the buffet lines - items sitting under/over the heat sauce for extended period tend to make the sodium level go higher & worsen ... in simplistic terms: as the liquid/sauces dried up, raising the "concentration" in all those marinated food, as it sit there. Watch out especially for the soup/stock being served.

Freshly prepared & just cooked to order items aren't as bad - hence, speak to the Access Desk about your special needs.

Edited by mking8288

Drinking water is normally low on sodium, and I checked with PKChEng, our resident chief engineer who has worked on cruise ships, about possible sodium in the water due to water softening, but he assured me the water on board does not flow through a softener. So, the water probably has less than the 9mg of sodium per 8 ounce glass that most municipal water systems have. We have no way of really knowing because I don't believe they test the water for sodium levels on board. (Water that "tastes salty" usually has about 200mg per liter, which is pretty high).

The water produced onboard either comes from an evaporator, which produces distilled water, and has a reject level of 10ppm (10mg per liter), meaning the product is rejected back to the sea if the sodium is too high, but normally produces at 0-2ppm. Or, the water is produced by reverse osmosis, which has a reject level of 20ppm, and a normal production range of 5-10ppm. The main source of sodium in ship's water is when the ship loads water in port, for instance Miami/Dade water is reported as 30-50ppm, and NYC as 30-60ppm. So, while the water circulated around the ship is not tested for sodium level, and the water loaded in port is not tested either (on the ship anyway), the water produced onboard is tested as it is made, and rejected if not suitable.

The water produced onboard either comes from an evaporator, which produces distilled water, and has a reject level of 10ppm (10mg per liter), meaning the product is rejected back to the sea if the sodium is too high, but normally produces at 0-2ppm. Or, the water is produced by reverse osmosis, which has a reject level of 20ppm, and a normal production range of 5-10ppm. The main source of sodium in ship's water is when the ship loads water in port, for instance Miami/Dade water is reported as 30-50ppm, and NYC as 30-60ppm. So, while the water circulated around the ship is not tested for sodium level, and the water loaded in port is not tested either (on the ship anyway), the water produced onboard is tested as it is made, and rejected if not suitable.

Sorry for mangling your name so badly!

Thanks for the info ... and just to confirm for others the water from my local municipality is higher in sodium than either of the reject levels for the water produced on board. The ppm figure is equal to mg in 1 liter of water, so the NYC water at 30 - 60 ppm is 30 - 60mg per liter (about 34 ounces). So an 8 ounce glass of water is about 8 to 15mg of sodium. That's not a significant amount of sodium.

• 5 months later...

Have you completed your cruise? Hope it was wonderful. I'm curious how the no salt/low salt diet worked out as I just made a special request for my mom. This will be the first time she will have to strictly monitor her salt intake and she is still in denial so it will be a challenge.

We just got back from a BA cruise to Bermuda. My mom requires a low salt diet. We told NCL about mom's diet needs when we booked and the staff knew when we boarded. Every meal was created special for her - with no salt. The wait staff would check in with her when we were seated at each restaurant. Even at Teppanyaki the chef prepared my mom's meal first, then prepared ours. Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1