What is your favorite ship to cruise on?

BoiiMcFly

Any ship with fewer than 2,000 passengers is likely to be better in my eyes than one carrying more --- and immeasurably better than one carrying more than 3,000.

What is it you dislike about larger ships? Do they get too crowded?

What is it you dislike about larger ships? Do they get too crowded?

Our experience with RCI and their larger ships is that with the added venues and public spaces, the largest of their ships - Oasis class with 5,600+ passengers - are less crowded overall in the venues and "feel" around ship than some of the smaller ships. While they may carry more passengers the ships are also significantly larger as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Well, you kind of set your marker pretty high. Probably only a QE2 suite can get any better.:D

Burt

Yes I know, it was a very nice ship and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We were in the third class and had a small room with bunk beds. Do cruise ships still have rooms with bunk beds?

Edited by BoiiMcFly

Yes I know, it was a very nice ship and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We were in the third class and had a small room with bunk beds. Do cruise ships still have rooms with bunk beds?

Not that I am aware of. The main beds are singles that go together to form a king. Often there is a convertible couch as well. Additional beds in the same stateroom can be murphy beds. Family staterooms along with the standard beds and convertible couch can have a smaller bunk room with a lower single and murphy bed that when opened are on top of each other similar to a bunk bed. Family suites can have a master bedroom and a second bedroom with two lower singles and two murphy beds in lower / upper configuration.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

For us, if would be a smaller vessel (fewer then 800 passengers) for a multi-month cruise. We have cruised on all size boats/ships ranging from 20 passenger to nearly 4000 and enjoyed every cruise. But small ships offer a kind of intimacy we enjoy. One thing all the ultra luxury cruise lines (i.e. Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, etc) have in common is that use relatively small ships. Crystal is one of the few ultra luxury lines operating larger ships....which in their case means about 1,000 passengers.

Hank

Our new favorite is the Holland America Maasdam. We took our first HAL cruise last August for the unique 14 day Great Land Alaska itinerary. We loved the size and overall experience of being on a smaller ship. We will definitely cruise with HAL again!

Edited by JimAOk1945