Flight before cruise?

sheila59

Our first cruise -- many, many years ago -- we did fly in the same day that the cruise started. But back then there were lots of flights from our area and lots of non-stop flights. Plus our ship wasn't scheduled to leave until 11 PM. Lots of time to make the cruise.

Now we arrive at the cruise port 2 or 3 days before we are scheduled to board the ship. And no more direct flights and far fewer flights to choose from. We would never think about flying in the same day any more. If something happened to one of the flights -- cancelled for weather problems, mechanical problems, etc., we would never make it to the ship.

If this is a fly-cruise package (ie the cruise line fixing your air, but not simply you using the same TA for flights and cruise) the cruise lines tend to arrange same-day flights. Rarely a problem, but more importantly if there is a problem it's the cruise line's problem, not yours.

If you've fixed the flight yourselves you're unlikely to have a problem, even if your flight is an hour or two late.

But "unlikely to have a problem" isn't the sort of phrase a traveller wants to hear. Just think of all the recent flight cancelations at fog-bound Heathrow a week or so ago.

Hence most folk fly at least a day early. The cost of hotel / transfers is probably less than the flight savings by booking your own flight.

Apart from the security of at least 24 hours wiggle-time, flying in on an earlier day gives you an opportunity to explore The Big Apple. :cool:

It always seems to me to be such a waste of an opportunity to see only rail tracks or tarmac between airport and ship. :confused:

If you have the time available and can switch to an earlier flight day without excessive cost I'd recommend that you do so.

If not, you'll probably be OK.

Except that clearly the seeds of doubt are sown in your mind, and are likely to bug you between now & your cruise date. :(

JB :)

Just wondering how many people fly in the same day as their cruise. We have a flight from UK arriving in New York at 9am the same day as our cruise.

I have being flying in the same day once with a 12 hours window - less time i will definitely fly in at least the day before. Often I do fly in two to three days in advance.

Few hours delay will be very stress full - 4 hours delay and you might have lost your cruise. You luggage might also be delayed.

Some statistics. Out of 26 cruises I have been 2 - 4 hours late twice. One full day once and late luggage twice (arrived following day) .

But "unlikely to have a problem" isn't the sort of phrase a traveller wants to hear. Just think of all the recent flight cancelations at fog-bound Heathrow a week or so ago.

Apart from the security of at least 24 hours wiggle-time, flying in on an earlier day gives you an opportunity to explore The Big Apple. :cool:

It always seems to me to be such a waste of an opportunity to see only rail tracks or tarmac between airport and ship. :confused:

This says it all: "unlikely to have a problem" is cold comfort. But, as important, it is an incomprehensible lapse to miss irreplaceable opportunities. People who fly to Rome to spend the night at the airport or Civita Vecchia before boarding a cruise which gives them perhaps five hours to see several ports, and then try to make an 11:00 flight home after debarking - make the Brit who just taxis from JFK to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal look like a sophisticated world traveler.

Thank you guys. It's just my daughters work. If we are flying for our cruise departure I always book a flight day before but my daughters work are trying to make her work a extra day.

It is certainly not my preference to arrive day of a cruise, especially if there is the potential for delays, and missed flights. If there are standard alternate flights to still get me there on time if I miss my first flight, I might be OK with it, but not something I usually do.

It sounds like you don't really have a choice in when you are flying out though.

Is your flight direct? Direct flights are safer, as even a couple of hours delay will still get you there on time.

If your daughter can work it out to leave the day before, I would would feel more comfortable with that if it was me, but if she can't then, hopefully everything goes smoothly with your flights.

Many people fly in the day of their flights and are fine. The only issue is "if" you encounter any delays in your travels.

Good luck!! Hoping for the best of circumstances for your trip!

Seems thwese days we keep hearing about flights turned around or redirected bacaise of n unruly passednger or somme event onthe plane. Add that to crews that are too many hours on the clock, weather, mechanical delays etc and it isto s risky to take the chance of long disttance flight, samme day.

Thank you guys. It's just my daughters work. If we are flying for our cruise departure I always book a flight day before but my daughters work are trying to make her work a extra day.

What does that mean exactly? They're trying to make her work an extra day? How much time is she taking off exactly? Does she work in a sweat shop? If she has earned the leave, why in the world would any manager try to squeeze an extra day out of their employee. Don't they know that would cost them so much more in the long run? Okay, stepping off my soap box.

Just wondering how many people fly in the same day as their cruise. We have a flight from UK arriving in New York at 9am the same day as our cruise.

"Recipe for disaster" is the phrase that comes to mind.

Some folks here will tell you that, if you've booked same day flight through a cruise line and delay causes you to miss embarkation, it's the cruise line's problem. Not really -read your contract.

Moreover, occasional flyers need to realize that air travel has changed dramatically in recent years. Long gone are the "open seats on the next flight out." And delays/missed connects often are now as much the rule as they are the exception.

IMO (and considerable experience flying domestic and international for business over many years), flying in several days prior allows you to get the most out of your airfare by including time to visit the port city, shop best prices/deals for air and hotel, etc.

OP: even if you've been before, not staying a few days in NYC (go to Brooklyn!) is basically "pennywise and pound foolish".

Finally, some personal practices worth OP's careful consideration:

For early flights out, arrange airport transfer the day before and stay one night at airport hotel (rotate different chains (Hilton, Hyatt, etc) to keep your loyalty points active). Use hotel shuttle on flight day. Some airport hotels (like at SFO) use additional shuttles that pass/stop near terrific local restaurants and attractions.

For international connection, allow at least 3 hour layover for all of the obvious reasons. If you don't have airport club membership but are now traveling more, get a travel savvy credit card with the right perks (e.g., United Explorer VISA), including club passes and free checked bags. (One flight's perks covers the annual fee).

If "same day" arrive or depart flights are in the equation (again, a really bad idea), avoid ground transfers by often unreliable services like Uber. Especially if you have more than two folks and luggage, use Mozio to search town car/van services (incl Execucar) and get companies that specialize in airport/city transfer and have a backup resource available for breakdown.

Bottom line: pay now or pay later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the daughter is old enough to work, surely she's old enough to fly by herself? Why isn't the rest of the family travelling earlier, waiting rested, refreshed and organised when she arrives? At worst only one person misses the cruise.

Precisely: it looks as though OP's entire chain is considering sharing the experience of its weakest link.

Is your flight direct? Direct flights are safer, as even a couple of hours delay will still get you there on time.

An incorrect and dangerous statement here. A "direct" flight only means you have flights with same flight number. It does not mean it is nonstop nor does it mean you do not change planes. You have to be very careful that your flight is booked as "nonstop", not merely "direct."

Anecdotal data point: DL 114 is marketed as SLC-BCN. BUT, the flight actually flies a 757 SLC-ATL, a 57 minute "connection" then that flight number is next on a 767 ATL-BCN. If you bought that ticket SLC-BCN, thinking you were nonstop, you could be in for a rude awakening when the SLC-ATL portion is delayed 90 minutes, so you missed the ATL-BCN portion...

This is what is shown on delta.com as the "Flight Information" for this one:

DL 114 Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) to Barcelona, Spain (BCN)

Departs : 11:05AM,

Arrives : 8:55AM,

Duration : 13h 50m

Aircraft : Boeing 757

Sure makes you think it's a non-stop, right? You have to know to dig deeper to find that it really is a one-stop with a change of plane in ATL!!!

An incorrect and dangerous statement here. A "direct" flight only means you have flights with same flight number. It does not mean it is nonstop nor does it mean you do not change planes. You have to be very careful that your flight is booked as "nonstop", not merely "direct."

Anecdotal data point: DL 114 is marketed as SLC-BCN. BUT, the flight actually flies a 757 SLC-ATL, a 57 minute "connection" then that flight number is next on a 767 ATL-BCN. If you bought that ticket SLC-BCN, thinking you were nonstop, you could be in for a rude awakening when the SLC-ATL portion is delayed 90 minutes, so you missed the ATL-BCN portion...

DL 114Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) to Barcelona, Spain (BCN)

Departs :11:05AM,

Arrives :8:55AM,

Duration :13h 50m

Sure makes you think it's a non-stop, right? You have to know to dig deeper to find that it really is a one-stop with a change of plane in ATL!!!

I apologize

Non stop is what I meant

Thank you for clarifying

I would not want to give misinformation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been flying at least a day before the cruise. One year the flights were cancelled and I missed the ship! Waited in San Juan two days until we met up with the ship. Our room was changed and our dinner table was changed next to the kitchen door! What a nightmare! Never made that mistake again. Just saying.

I have been flying at least a day before the cruise. One year the flights were cancelled and I missed the ship! Waited in San Juan two days until we met up with the ship. Our room was changed and our dinner table was changed next to the kitchen door! What a nightmare! Never made that mistake again. Just saying.

Not to mention the fact that you might see two days of the cruise you paid (and waited) for. Sorry, I'm not chancing it.

I could have explained better, yes, I think the OP will likely make the ship. But since they didn't consider either the daughter flying separately or the effect of jetlag on the rest, I wonder if there's something more than just the cruise here and would like more specifics before suggesting.

DL 114 Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) to Barcelona, Spain (BCN)

Departs : 11:05AM,

Arrives : 8:55AM,

Duration : 13h 50m

Very helpful example -- also it seems to be a case of fraudulent false advertising because it indicates that what takes off from SLC and what lands at BCN is a Boeing 757 - when it will be a 767 that lands at BCN.