Lobster night

willcruiseanythyme

Why do Americans have a fascination with lobster?

Speaking for just this one American.....I simply love the taste of decent lobster....especially the species that is found off the Coast of New England and the east coast of Canada. That being said, the stuff they serve on cruise ships holds little fascination as its less tasty warm water lobster tails. For us, the best lobster on a cruise is that which we can get in Ft Lauderdale (at Kelly's Landing) the night before we board a ship in Port Everglades or the Port of Miami :).

We have never understood the "fascination" with cruise ship lobster tails. One can purchase better "cold water" lobster tails at nearly any supermarket and they are commonly on menus at many restaurants. Most US restaurants do not even serve "warm water lobster tails" since they are not in great demand (except on cruise ships).

Hank

What a bunch of complainers, first world problem.

To be fair Don you're highly unlikely to see third world problems discussed on here. But yes, this forum is THE place to be for first world problem discussion! :D

There were three lobster nights on our last 14 night cruise. :)

Jeez people. What's wrong with someone liking lobster? (Regardless of which variety). The OP was just wondering which evening. Not "real" lobster? Right. [emoji849]. I personally look forward to the evening when lobster is served.

The beef Wellington sounds good too.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Dan!! We accept all lobster and do not discriminate.😂

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Some interesting lobster history: Prior to the mid-19th century, lobster was considered a mark of poverty or as a food for indentured servants or lower members of society in Maine, Massachusetts, and the Canadian Maritimes, and servants specified in employment agreements that they would not eat lobster more than twice per week.[31] Lobster was also commonly served in prisons, much to the displeasure of inmates.[32] American lobster was initially deemed worthy only of being used as fertilizer or fish bait, and until well into the 20th century, it was not viewed as more than a low-priced canned staple food.

Sort of like on the west coast where salmon was served to the dogs.

I do agree with the the comments on the alleged lobster that is served on the ship. The stuff has no resemblance to real lobster/

DON

OK, all you lobster experts, we are going to Alaska in August. Should we expect cold water or warm water lobster?

Personally I would settle(?) for fresh Dungeness crab.

QShip -- On the Alaska Cruise, forget the lobster & splurge on Alaskan King Crab!!!

Maybe for the same reasons you love desserts.

I do love desserts and many people love lobster. My point was that it seems to me that Americans are particularly fond of lobster. Why is that?

Would it really spoil anyone's cruise if lobster were not served? I don't ask that any one dessert be served on every cruise I go on.

Speaking for just this one American.....I simply love the taste of decent lobster....especially the species that is found off the Coast of New England and the east coast of Canada. That being said, the stuff they serve on cruise ships holds little fascination as its less tasty warm water lobster tails. For us, the best lobster on a cruise is that which we can get in Ft Lauderdale (at Kelly's Landing) the night before we board a ship in Port Everglades or the Port of Miami :).

We have never understood the "fascination" with cruise ship lobster tails. One can purchase better "cold water" lobster tails at nearly any supermarket and they are commonly on menus at many restaurants. Most US restaurants do not even serve "warm water lobster tails" since they are not in great demand (except on cruise ships).

Hank

Hank, I agree. We live in Scotland right on a harbour. The fishermen catch lobster in the North Sea and they are delicious. I have had lobster many times on cruise ships and I am generally disappointed. I wanted to better understand why many people get so enthused about what to me is often rubbery and tasteless.

yes , rubbery , overcooked and tasteless. I don't even bother ordering fish onboard. There is an exact moment when fish is cooked. After that it is dry or rubbery. I couldn't believe when I was asked in Blu how I wanted my salmon cooked. I guess I am spoiled living in Nova Scotia. Our first cruise when we ordered lobster we just stared at each other and then I said " what is this" My husband grew up helping his lobster fishing relatives. His reply was " not lobster" I couldn't chew it !!

OK, all you lobster experts, we are going to Alaska in August. Should we expect cold water or warm water lobster?

Personally I would settle(?) for fresh Dungeness crab.

Pray for King Crab! :cool: If they serve lobster, it will probably be the frozen warm water lobster mini tail variety. It's cheaper for Celebrity to store and serve.

On the Summit two years ago to NE/Canada, they brought live lobsters on board at one of the Maine ports for that evening's dinner.

Sort of like on the west coast where salmon was served to the dogs.

I do agree with the the comments on the alleged lobster that is served on the ship. The stuff has no resemblance to real lobster/

DON

Or like a secretary I had who grew up on the Mendocino coast in poor circumstances. Many nights all they had to eat was abalone caught by her father. She hated the stuff!!

Do they serve fresh New England type cold water lobster on Summit on the Canada/NE cruises? If not we will try to get some off the ship in each port!

Even if they serve cold water lobster on the ship, you should get off the ship and get some real 'lobstah' in port, preferably in one of the fish markets/restaurants, served with drawn butter, some steamers, fries, coleslaw and a disposable bib, claw cracker and pick. I have never understood how lobster became a fancy treat, when the best way to enjoy it is fresh, in a casual setting.

Where we live,2 frozen 4oz lobster tails go for around $18.00 so yes, I look forward to them on a cruise. No matter what kind of lobster they are. It is a treat for me.

Laura

I think lobster is a treat, and I'm from Maine where I've had fresh cold water lobster, on occasion, for pretty much my whole life. That being said, I still enjoy the lobster we've been served on cruise ships. My fascination with all types of lobster - the taste. To me the lobster tails taste really good, even the ones that don't come from our North Atlantic coast. No claws available from warm water lobster, but I will gladly take a smaller lobster - tail only - over no lobster at all. :D

Edited by galensgrl
add info
  • Like 1

Do they serve fresh New England type cold water lobster on Summit on the Canada/NE cruises? If not we will try to get some off the ship in each port!

In the past, yes, the captain made an announcement that they brought them on board at one of the ports.

So, it wouldn't be unheard of.

yes , rubbery , overcooked and tasteless. I don't even bother ordering fish onboard. There is an exact moment when fish is cooked. After that it is dry or rubbery. I couldn't believe when I was asked in Blu how I wanted my salmon cooked. I guess I am spoiled living in Nova Scotia. Our first cruise when we ordered lobster we just stared at each other and then I said " what is this" My husband grew up helping his lobster fishing relatives. His reply was " not lobster" I couldn't chew it !!

I bet there's more than one or two fans of sashimi chuckling at this post!

I'll take my tuna steak rare to medium rare please. Undercooked so it's nice and juicy. Not ruined and cooked through thoroughly! :D

Probably for the same reason the British have a fascination with tea.

I'm currently in the US. This made me smile because five minutes ago I asked DW for a cup of tea. Made from tea bags brought with me from the UK because you guys don't have the good stuff here... :o :p

I'm currently in the US. This made me smile because five minutes ago I asked DW for a cup of tea. Made from tea bags brought with me from the UK because you guys don't have the good stuff here... :o :p

I agree. I've been to England several times, I especially love London, to me it's the best city in the world to visit. Being a tea drinker I love going into restaurants and cafes and being offered a nice cuppa, the way they ask if you would like coffee here in the US. The food in London is amazing as well. Looks like our 2018 vacation might very well be a trip to London!

This year it's our other favorite destination - Bermuda.