Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

March 1, 2017-- Manila Philippines

After another smooth night's sail, we awoke pulling into the dock in Manila. Across the way was a Silversea ship on which friends are sailing. The sun was out bright and warm as we started our adventure for the day, a trip to Corregidor.

Now I, as a girl who grew up in Arkansas, had heard all about General McArthur my whole life. It was going to be exciting to actually see where the events took place. First there was a 1 1/2 hour ferry ride. We were packed in like sardines as the ferry was not exclusive to regent.

We landed on the island, and it was like going back in time. The ruins of the barracks are there. There are all sorts of big guns and mortars about. There are craters made by the bombs that were dropped. Our guide did a great job of bringing it all to life. Some of the atrocities committed by the Japanese were horrible. The island itself is really beautiful, then there is all this historical significance. It is the type of tour I love best. And the lunch was very edible, not gourmet, but fine to eat and a big step up from our lunch in Malaysia.

After thoroughly exploring, we took the ferry back to town, then a bus onto the ship. We were just in time for a folkloric dance show by the locals. It was very well done, and I am somewhat an expert in Filipino dancing as my office medical assistant for 17 years was Filipino and taught dance on the side. I was familiar with all the dances and they were well done.

Then on to the most touching sail away ever. There were 3 high school marching bands there, along with baton twirlers and flag throwers. They played for us for over an hour and as we sailed away. Everyone was waving. There were many tears out on deck.

Delicious dinner again in chartreuse. Followed by a Las Vegas style production show that was very well done, with the dancers being a highlight.

I'm sorry but why do you think the crew would want to share their precious time with their families with passengers? Surely this is their private time.

My thoughts exactly. It's their time for a short reunion on their own. Jean.

I'm sorry but why do you think the crew would want to share their precious time with their families with passengers? Surely this is their private time.

Actually, they do! They want to introduce their families to you - they are proud too show them off. We have discussed this with the crew before. When Regent used to overnight in Manila, sometimes Regent guests were invited to their homes.

I'm glad that the blogging group had a good time on their excursion. Next year, we'll be on the Voyager in Manila and will not do a tour (but may walk around if there are some local places near the ship). The rest of the time we'll be on the ship with no intention of interfering with private time ....... just meeting a few people and seeing the smiles on everyone's faces will be enough for us.

Jacquie, We agree on something else! After we were scrubbed on another thread, I think we will survive here.

We have found almost without exception, and whatever cruise line, that a reach out to the crew generates a similar response.

One of our most interesting experiences was talking to a well educated butler on SS who was leaving after his contract to return to India and marry a woman chosen by his parents that he had never seen. We were stunned.

I'm sure there are crew members who don't reach out, but that has not been our experience.

I said earlier that my dad was stationed in the Philippines during WWII. He was deafened by heavy artillery during that time, and I can see from those huge guns how that could happen.

We are all happy you are enjoying the photo's and stories Jean--thank you.

Now that the majority of devices...err mean guests are asleep (except Rich who I will see (it is now 5a.m) pedaling away on the recumbent bike in the gym, will download some more photos from our nine hour excursion to Corregidor yesterday.

1021783d1820c5cab2b066e4133e5e0c.jpg

Rich and George trying to talk to each other on Corregidor:

925a95fade543149c16e682f2e275528.jpg

Pic of the world's longest barracks in the world (housed up to 6000 troops) that reflects well why Corregidor is the world's 2nd most bombed location after Malta.

24b9a229c2e2b1c0f50867b1557aa955.jpg

096f6fc9da381e2f48d72fcaa1be8222.jpg533c3a75cfab4ae8d123560b42f872bc.jpg1ecd32a8b9560073ae3011591be5af4b.jpg

And Good Morning as we cruise north along the South China Sea to our next destination Taiwan. We will arrive in Taiwan on Friday.

Today we will enjoy another sea day, chock full of activities including enrichment lectures on Taiwan, competitive games featuring guests vs. the Regent Seven Seas Voyager officers, and indoor cycling.

Tonight we are celebrating a good friend's (George's)birthday with three other couples. (Rachel & George, Rich & Ginny, fellow cruise critics (Jim and Christie).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't ever recall a combination welcome and fare-thee-well like we received on the Manila pier yesterday from costumed dancers/drummers (a.m.) and six bus loads of enthusiastic high school marching and drill-team members (p.m.). Manila knows how to make a terrific first, and final, impression!

Fantastic accounts of our Corregidor excursion from my blogging brethren. Want to add that we toured the island in vintage trolleys, a cool touch. Corregidor' electric trolley dates back to the early 20th Century, when the line had more than 14,000 feet of track on the island. You can still find two tracks of the 36-inch standard gauge running through Malinta Tunnel, where a 30-minute sound and light show was part of our program for the day.

For those of you who would like to learn more about Corregidor I heartily recommend Regent Cruise Director Jamie Logan's Corregidor video. Fans of Jamie's are well aware of his series of Journeys with Jamie, and the 32:22 account of his Corregidor visit is one of his best. Just Google "Corregidor Jamie Logan YouTube" and you'll find it (it has more than 64,000 views). Thanks again to Wes, for providing the link to the video on our Roll Call for this cruise, as it fired my interest in booking the Corregidor excursion.

Today is the fourth of our five sea days, and, as usual for the sea day, the program is packed with activities. A good bet for mid-morning will be Lew Simons' Smithsonian lecture, "Taiwan: One China or Two." Simons, who worked as a correspondent for AP, the Washington Post and Knight Ridder, has reported from every country in Southeast Asia, as well as China, Japan, and North and South Kora. He covered the Vietnam War from 1967 to the end, and in the '80s exposed the billions of dollars that Ferdinand Marcos looted from the Philippines, which earned him the 1986 Pulitzer Prize. Needless to say, it was a coup for Regent to snag him as the lecturer on our cruise. Given his unique perspective on Southeast Asia events I've been willing to forgive him for reading large portions of his talks (can't help it, reading a lecture is a pet peeve of mine).

Before closing for now, I wanted to add my two cents' worth on Boracay Island. If the island brochure hadn't promised "pristine white beaches," and "powdery sands" I wouldn't have felt somewhat disappointed by Boracay with its decidedly un-powerdery, beigey sand. Still, it was a nice setting with a family kind of vibe, and we had a good time shell hunting (Ginny) and taking pics (me).

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

For those of you who would like to learn more about Corregidor I heartily recommend Regent Cruise Director Jamie Logan's Corregidor video. Fans of Jamie's are well aware of his series of Journeys with Jamie, and the 32:22 account of his Corregidor visit is one of his best. Just Google "Corregidor Jamie Logan YouTube" and you'll find it (it has more than 64,000 views). Thanks again to Wes, for providing the link to the video on our Roll Call for this cruise, as it fired my interest in booking the Corregidor excursion.

We were lucky enough to tour Corregidor with Jamie the day he filmed that video; it was a great excursion. I always remember the date as that was the day of the earthquake that struck Fukushima and we received a two or three inch wave in Manilla harbor.

Marc

Mr. Silver, thanks..was neat having the Whisper docked across from us yesterday in Manila. Don't know if you will see the Butler Lorenzo Marcelo, but if you do please pass our warm regards, thx

Thanks, Jackie. Please say hi to Dennis for Ginny and me.

With Manila behind us, I thought I'd check in with three of the Filipino crew members I briefly profiled in an earlier post to see how their visits with family went yesterday.

Jennilyn, housekeeping. Jennilyn gave mom Remy and son John, 15, a tour of her station on Deck 7, and then took them down to her cabin, where she introduced them to her roommate, Precious. After that they left the ship for lunch at a Chinese restaurant, Super Bowl, in Robinson's mall, followed by some clothes shopping for John. When it was time for Jennilyn to return to the ship, a tear fell down John's cheek. "After that we all cried," Jennilyn said.

Sherwin, restaurant. Wife Malou showed up with some shopping items for Sherwin as well as a favorite treat--chicharrones. Sherwin took Malou to his cabin, where he introduced her to his roommate, Renato. Then they walked around the ship before driving the 40 minutes to their apartment in Paranaque, where they had lunch and spent the afternoon relaxing and catching up. Renato then returned to the ship in time for dinner service in Compass Rose. "I'm very happy," Sherwin said. "I still feel like I just came from vacation!"

Cyndy, bar. Cyndy was thrilled to see mom Cynthia, dad Ernesto, brother E.R., brother Ernesto Jr. and sister-in-law Ross in the very front of the line at 10 a.m., when family visits began. "My mom said they had been waiting at the gate since 6:30!" First stop was Cyndy's cabin, where she introduced her family to her roommate, Melissa. Then Cyndy led her family on a tour of various public areas in the ship: "They were taking lots of photos like they were in an amusement park!" Then they made the one-hour drive to Cavite, to the house Cyndy is building for her family ("My hard work has been worth it when I see the house"). Later, on the way back to the ship, the family stopped for an early dinner at Cyndy's favorite restaurant, Cabalen, a Filipino buffet, in the Mall of Asia. Then it was time to say goodbye. Cyndy: "I was the first to cry, as always!"

Rich

Thank you, Wes, for the crew visit update. I can't even imagine what it is like to leave your family for such long stretches of time. It is the ultimate sacrifice to assure that your loved ones have a better life. Your post brought tears to my eyes!

March 2, 2017--at sea en route to Taiwan

Today is George's birthday, and he is getting on of his wishes, that being a little more movement in the seas. It was a sunny morning with temps in the high 70s, a little haze, and some pretty good wind. There were whitecaps visible from our window, and the feeling of actually being on a ship rather than in your living room at home.

Another lazy sea day. There were lectures and all sorts of games for those so inclined. I did the final of my 4 package of massages. I can see definite improvement in my arm which I partially credit to the massage. George worked out in the gym.

Lunch on the pool deck was a French theme. George just wasn't feeling that, so we had room service and watched movies. While we had been out in the morning, a little birthday gremlin had decorated our cabin with balloons and a happy birthday banner.

I kept putting off my walking out on deck thinking the conditions would improve. Instead they steadily worsened with the wind picking up and seas getting progressively rougher so that by mid afternoon, they had cleared off the pool deck, closed the pool and hot tubs, and secured all the loungers. The gym was full, So I was doomed to walk indoors, which is not my favorite, but it is exercise.

We were robbed in trivia. No need to say more.

Tonight was George's big birthday party. We met up with Wes and Ida, Ginny and Rich, Jim and Cathy for a great time in CR. Lots of laughs and just a fun time. The seas were really moving by this time, which is exactly what George was wanting for his birthday.

I've enjoyed reading all your posts and seeing the pictures. Thank you for comments regarding crew. We always feel they are like family. We'll be boarding the Voyager next Tuesday as you get off for Hong Kong to Beijing cruise. I'm looking forward to seeing the updates on Voyager. We arrive in Hong Kong on Saturday for three day pre-cruise tour. Safe trip home and thanks again for all the posts.

Rachel, I hope your arm is better by time you get home.

First, happy birthday George. He looks great for "35"!;p

Rich - once again, your reports of the crew family reunions were heartwarming! Thank you so much (and I'll send your and Ginny's wishes to Dennis).

Rachel - so good to hear that you are feeling improvement in your arm. Will you be able to work when you get home (knowing you, you'll find a way!)

While I know that the cruise isn't over yet, I'm very interested in your thoughts regarding the food on the Voyager as compared to the Explorer. Is there any discernable difference in the quality, flavor or presentation? I'm hoping that the new menus have brought the Voyager up to the standard of the Explorer (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I have forwarded them to George since he would have no idea how to get on CC.

As far as food on voyager, I can see no significant difference from explorer. The menus are the same, and preparation seems the same. The food has gotten better than when we were on last I think. I have no complaints at all.

As far as work, I will be back in office as soon as we get home and back in some surgery within a few days. There are a couple of types of surgeries that I will have to delay a while--the extensive pelvic reconstructions--but robotics should be no problem.

Hope you all had a great birthday celebration for George! I wish I could have been there so you could have helped me drink some of my ship board credit! I will drink a toast in your honor!

Edited by Anna B.
changing to past tense - didn't realize dinner was over!