Edge: Mobile-Controlled Everything

TexSea

I have no interest in carrying my Window phone around the ship, even my Kindle demagnetizes my sea pass if I'm not careful. My DH still uses a flip phone and does not even take it with us unless I insist. If it was used on a 14 day cruise it would soon run out of a charge. Will Celebrity give us a "phone" to use in lieu of a sea pass?

I have no interest in carrying my Window phone around the ship, even my Kindle demagnetizes my sea pass if I'm not careful. My DH still uses a flip phone and does not even take it with us unless I insist. If it was used on a 14 day cruise it would soon run out of a charge. Will Celebrity give us a "phone" to use in lieu of a sea pass?

Not to my knowledge, but you can use a traditional cruise key card just like you have always done in the past.

If you do have a phone, there are plenty of outlets in the cabin to charge it. Most of us that use smart phones and travel with them, also travel with the charging cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't mind using the SeaPass and enjoy carry it around in it's leather holder. Fits easily in a pocket, or my PacSafe during the day, and in my hand purse in the evenings. I've never had trouble with it demagnetizing when carrying along with my cell or Kindle.

I carry my cell phone with me most of the time, but usually not in the evenings. I think that's the big thing that bothers me most about using our cell phones to operate everything on the ship. Many of us don't want to see cell phones lighting up, hearing the pinging's, hearing people talking on them, etc. Especially not in the evening in the theaters, or in the dining rooms. :( It's so annoying and rude! :rolleyes:

One aspect of cruising that we have enjoyed over the years was being able to "get away from it all." I realize that there are passengers that cannot or won't, and have to stay "connected", but please do so that you do not share your life with others.

Many people on their cell phones do not realize that what they are saying is being shared. LOL I have posted this before, but will relay the following story again.

On my balcony one morning, a gentleman walked out on his balcony and made a call to his financial advisor. He was giving very personal details about his bank account, stocks, etc., including account numbers! This conversation went on so long that I finally took a look around the divider and gave him a thumbs up and a big :D. He looked shocked, but I think he got the hint that I, along with anyone else within ear shot, could hear every word he was saying. Had I been a crook (and there are those onboard, as well) I could have done some fancy work and made a little money while on vacation. :cool:

I'm thinking that us that like technology know how to put our phones in air mode so we dont get calls from work. I dont put my phone in air mode, I just turn off the data. I personally like the idea of using my phone. I have it with me all the time anyway. Just the other day I called a work colleague. I asked if he was at work, he said it ok, I just got off work. I asked where are you. He said Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Technology is great.

I couldn't agree more. Use your phone as a good source of information, camera and the ability to access control of your cabin amenities. What's not to love about that? Of course there are always a bunch of naysayers on here who love to poo-poo everything.

One aspect of cruising that we have enjoyed over the years was being able to "get away from it all." I realize that there are passengers that cannot or won't, and have to stay "connected"

I kind of think those days are over for most people. It's a shame in a way, but call it progress. Today most people can't bear not being "connected" for even a few minutes. When I started cruising about 40 years ago, you were lucky to have a telephone in your cabin, and some ships didn't even have that. Forget TV's! You truly did get away from it all, and that was part of the appeal of cruising. That lasted for a long time and cruise lines really touted how you could get away from the turmoils of everyday life on a cruise. You don't see that advertised any longer. Now it's more about how you can stay connected, even on a cruise. At some point the tides changed and we as a society become dependent on the internet and staying connected 24/7. Now you see cruise lines making significant investment to offer faster and more reliable internet, at lower prices and with 24/7 connectivity packages. They know this is what most people want today, and have their smart phones glued to them at all times. I pretty much always carry my iPhone. It's an extension of my Mac at home, and most importantly it's my primary camera these days. Using it to unlock my cabin, order drinks, control everything, etc. means I won't have to carry a cruise card. I will just carry my iPhone and nothing else, which is perfect for me.

And if your phone is out of charge are you locked of your room? :o Cant buy a drink? :confused:Or worse, can't get on or off the ship?:eek:

I guess you better keep your smart phone charged. I think most of us that rely on them and use them often always keep them charged.

If keeping your phone charged is too much of a bother, then you're probably better off opting out and using a cruise card.

And if your phone is out of charge are you locked of your room? :o Cant buy a drink? :confused:Or worse, can't get on or off the ship?:eek:

No different than now when your Cruise Card goes bad for voodoo reasons. Ship staff help you out.

Some really good detail on what they are hoping to do with it at this link. It (in theory) will be much more than a remote door unlocker. Make dining reservations, order drinks from the bar, navigate the ship, watch the people on the bridge. I had heard they were even testing a family/friends chat messaging system currently and hope to include that as well.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/celebrity-edge/

Hmmmm....two (or three?) people in a room, each with a phone, plus various laptops, hair dryers, speakers, cameras, maybe a cpap machine, a kindle, and most surge protector multi-plug charging devices not allowed, I can foresee problems.......

We have taken 5 USB port charging device to charge both of our phones, tablets and another device at once while taking up only one plug and have had no problems bringing it on board. It's made by Lumsing and we found it on Amazon recommended by another cc poster.

When a sea pass card goes bad we can get another fairly quickly but if the cellphone needs charging it takes some time to get it ready for use again and staff can't do much to help with that can they?

If your phone dies and you're locked out, you can just go to Guest Relations and get a key card issued.

I'll be keeping my iPhone charged up, but I do anyway. I can't remember the last time I was down to a zero charge and the phone shut down.

That is a non starter with me. I carry only my sea pass card which weighs nothing. I'm not trading that in to haul around my phone the whole trip. One of the first things we do is turnoff and toss our phones in the room safe where they stay until the cruise ends.

But nothing says you have to use the app so for those that do carry their phone everywhere it is a good options. I'm all for multiple choices.

I'm with you!! The best part of cruising is powering down and disconnecting from everyone and everything not on the boat with you!! [emoji5]

I'll be keeping my iPhone charged up, but I do anyway. I can't remember the last time I was down to a zero charge and the phone shut down.

Oh brother. Wish I could say the same! :loudcry: Cell and iPad are constantly dead.

Why not just have face recognition, retinal scanners or fingerprint scanners at stateroom doors ? At least if your phone dies, you don't have to spend extra time going to get a key card ;)

That's a fantastic idea, though I vote for facial or retinal scanning. My fingerprints always fail on my iPad. :D

I recently told my 36 year old daughter that if she wanted WiFi access, while on the Reflection cruising in the Med., that she would have to buy a package. She responded that she was planning on leaving the world back home and enjoying not having to keep up with everything while on vacation.

And that's what a vacation is all about, isn't it?