Edge: Mobile-Controlled Everything

TexSea

I'm with you!! The best part of cruising is powering down and disconnecting from everyone and everything not on the boat with you!! [emoji5]

I agree, I like to put my phone away & not be able to see my email etc. I just sailed on the Allure in Star Class, you use your phone's internet to communicate with your Genie (or a ship phone). I mostly used the ship phone because I didn't want to see any work emails on my phone or feel obligated to communicate with friends and family back home through What's Ap or whatever. The wifi was "free" with the room. Part of my love for cruising is leaving reality at the port, that is getting more difficult to do with all the wifi on the ships. That being said, the 5 15-21 year olds that sailed with us, used their phones 24/7.

Vickie

Largo, Florida

Diamond Cruiser RCL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That being said, the 5 15-21 year olds that sailed with us, used their phones 24/7.

This comes as no surprise!

I think more and more we are seeing new ships, especially large mass-market ships, being designed for the next generation of cruiser, not for the old school cruiser. EDGE is no exception. This makes a lot of sense as they are the future of cruising, and cruise lines really need to appeal to them.

Cruise ships generally have a lifespan of 30+ years. Ships like the original ROYAL PRINCESS from 1984 are still going strong.

I hope I have a good 20 years left cruising, but probably not much more. Depressing to think about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise ships have a lifespan of, what -- 20 years? How many of us have that much cruising future left? [speaking personally...]

None of us know - that's what life is about - 'live each day as though it's your last'. I do hope I have more than 20 years left, though ;).

From a tech security standpoint, this seems like an idea that is great at first, until you start thinking of issues that may happen. As in malware on phone, opening others' property, and mischarging others' accounts for purchases. Maybe celebrity should come up with some sort of RFID card, like the original post mentioned?

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

All of this mobile control will be via an app, right? This from a company that has yet to unveil a usable app? Why am I skeptical that they will be successful in this effort in the next 18 months?

Not even just an app, how about their main website? I think we can all agree that RCI / Celebrity are just not great technology companies. I have a feeling that they select the lowest bidder in these tech projects instead of hiring the proper internal staff to work on these projects.

Here is the best video I can find of just how all of this will work. This was taken at the Edge unveiling at the Innovation Hub.

The technical person demonstrating looks to be very confident in each step, but at the same I get a feeling watching him that they aren't thinking through all the possible scenarios and what if's and they are just putting in technology, for technology's sake to keep up with everyone else. I have seen this many times in my career, but I hope in this case it is different.

Not even just an app, how about their main website? I think we can all agree that RCI / Celebrity are just not great technology companies. I have a feeling that they select the lowest bidder in these tech projects instead of hiring the proper internal staff to work on these projects.

:D I love how everyone agrees on the website - or lack thereof ;)

So, Edge costs approx. $5 billion. Certainly X can afford to improve their website?

Why not add a $0.50 daily surcharge as a "website convenience fee" to every passenger's bill for the next year, so we could have the convenience of a functional website? My rough estimate says that will raise over $4 million << geesh, I hope I calculated correctly! >>

I'm no IT expert at all, but wouldn't that be a hefty investment into a functional website? Yes, I know, we are already paying a lot for the cruises and should already be receiving a better website... but just saying... I'd be willing to pay a few dollars more next cruise :)

Here is the best video I can find of just how all of this will work. This was taken at the Edge unveiling at the Innovation Hub.

The technical person demonstrating looks to be very confident in each step, but at the same I get a feeling watching him that they aren't thinking through all the possible scenarios and what if's and they are just putting in technology, for technology's sake to keep up with everyone else. I have seen this many times in my career, but I hope in this case it is different.

Thanks for the link..watched the video demo..not very impressed with the tech gizmos, some did not work very well..

Have you ever worked for a large corporation or bureaucracy of any kind? Celebrity's website is the child of RCCL. We can complain all we want here, but it isn't within Celebrity's control. It's also a huge piece of programming [the website I was in charge of for a while was minuscule by comparison, and it was complex enough!]. The App is completely separate, and my hope is that it is being created by some other entity or department entirely. I will be one of the early guinea pigs for this thing and I look forward to it because if it delivers the promises they are making, it will be a really elegant approach to what are now a bunch of separate annoyances.

I know nothing about IT, but on the video posted the demonstrator says that it's connected to the ship's WIFI. Well I have experienced that when connectivity comes and goes - when even the onboard facilities are inactive because the system is down when at sea. So, will this not affect the usage of all these apps on your own phones?

Also the location of your cabin can sometimes make a difference, together with sailing certain areas of the world. I know I've had to go into the hallway/corridor when we've been far aft just to be able to get a signal. Obviously they will update the current system in order for all this extra usage as some of the demonstration didn't work correctly on land, and there will be the added problems associated with being at sea?

I believe Princess have already introduced a wifi 'Medallion' to all their passengers on their newest ship and will introduce it fleet wide to all their ships during dry dock.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2256078

Ocean Medallion won't make its debut till later this year November on REGAL PRINCESS. It will take quite a while to implement on the entire fleet.

Beating Carnival Corp. to the punch is MSC Cruises. They will debut a similar tech platform, called MSC For Me on the new MSC MERAVIGLIA in May, followed by MSC SEASIDE in December.

The one difference between MSC and Carnival Corp's tech platforms and the Royal Caribbean/Celebrity one is the device. With MSC and Carnival Corp you have to carry around a device they issue. With Royal Caribbean/Celebrity you will use your smartphone. All require you to interact with either an app on your phone, or through interactive panels on the ship or your cabin TV to set preferences. Also if you want to say order a drink and have it delivered directly to you sitting on a deck chair, you will have to use your smartphone to order it regardless of the cruise line or tech platform.

I know nothing about IT, but on the video posted the demonstrator says that it's connected to the ship's WIFI. Well I have experienced that when connectivity comes and goes - when even the onboard facilities are inactive because the system is down when at sea. So, will this not affect the usage of all these apps on your own phones?

Also the location of your cabin can sometimes make a difference, together with sailing certain areas of the world. I know I've had to go into the hallway/corridor when we've been far aft just to be able to get a signal. Obviously they will update the current system in order for all this extra usage as some of the demonstration didn't work correctly on land, and there will be the added problems associated with being at sea?

Absolutely these are challenges that any cruise line introducing such a tech platform will have to overcome. The onboard wifi network will have to be enhanced and improved for this to work properly on any of the cruise lines that are introducing this interactive tech platform, and they all rely on you using an onboard app. You will still be able to do certain things via the interactive panels around the ship and also from the interactive TV in your cabin, but you would not be able to do something like order a drink or food and have it delivered to your remote location. Opening your cabin door is something I'm not sure about. I'm guessing you have to be connected to their network via an app from your smartphone to open the door. That could be a hassle and also create problems if the wifi network is down. That is the one advantage I see with carrying around a device like Carnival Corp. and MSC Cruises will use.

There is also the possibility that you will not have to have to app open and connected to wifi to open your door. It may just use the technology built into your phone that you will sync once at the beginning of the cruise with your cabin door. I'm not sure on that one.

Absolutely these are challenges that any cruise line introducing such a tech platform will have .

That could be a hassle and also create problems if the wifi network is down. That is the one advantage I see with carrying around a device like Carnival Corp. and MSC Cruises will use.

There is also the possibility that you will not have to have to app open and connected to wifi to open your door. It may just use the technology built into your phone that you will sync once at the beginning of the cruise with your cabin door. I'm not sure on that one.

So RCCL/ Celebrity are pre supposing that every passenger has a Smart Phone!

So RCCL/ Celebrity are pre supposing that every passenger has a Smart Phone!

Yes. And so is Carnival Corp. and MSC Cruises. A smartphone using the appropriate app will be necessary to use all the benefits of these programs. With any of these programs regardless of cruise line, you can opt out and use a traditional cruise key card. This would be if you don't have a smartphone, or you just don't want to use the program. It's all about choice which is a good thing. This will take nothing away from from those that don't want to be bothered and want a more traditional experience. The key cards will still be there and the experience will be like it always was. It will add a lot of new features and capability for those that are into tech and like using their devices, and that is more and more of our population with each passing day. So something for everyone and no one really has to lose.

The problems that I normally have with any ship Wi-Fi is that access to the web it is down. The Wi-Fi network itself is still working (access to the ships routers); but not allowing me to go online. I would hope that the app would not require it to go through the internet; but just an internal network.

The problems that I normally have with any ship Wi-Fi is that access to the web it is down. The Wi-Fi network itself is still working (access to the ships routers); but not allowing me to go online. I would hope that the app would not require it to go through the internet; but just an internal network.

Definitely just the ship's network otherwise you would have to pay which you don't.

I agree my issues are usually connecting to the internet via the satellite but rarely just to the ships internal network.

I used the Royal IQ app on Quantum with no issues. In fact it worked great. Of course Celebrity doesn't have an onboard app but they will son.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I love that the justification against Carnival or MSC is that those require you to "carry around" their own device. Ok, so now anyone who wants to use this service will have to "carry around" a smartphone that is definitely bigger than those other devices. Personally, I'd rather have their device break, or get wet, or get lost, than my own smartphone.

In the long run I still don't see all this tech stuff adding much to the experience..I can open the cabin door, with my card, order room service by door card, phone or the tv, and buy drinks from waiters or at any bar, without all the added tech....only positive might be using wrist bands to keep track of children on board for safety and security.

Rather see the money spent on nicer towels, , better grade food and entertainment. It really amounts to tech amusements ...but adds little else. Hoping I' ll be wowed & change my mind...we'll see..