Edge: Mobile-Controlled Everything

TexSea

I hadn't seen this mentioned yet about using mobile phones to check-in, open your cabin door, or control the a/c. In one of the videos you see someone in their cabin using a tablet-like device to control the room and the narrator implies that ability. This gives them almost two years to perfect this technology AND their website. Personally, I can't wait to try it out.

The last big innovation in cruising dealt with RFID-enabled wristbands that let you scan in and out of the ship at port or charge drinks to your room. But wearables are a thing of the past, said Lutoff-Perlo. On the Edge ships, you’ll be able to do everything on your phone, from checking in to unlocking your stateroom door or controlling your room’s temperature and lighting.

It all happens via a proprietary Celebrity app, which also puts the concierge, ship map, and daily event schedule in each guest’s pocket. “We’ll send you notifications for the things you’ve told us you’re interested in and use it to reduce pain points across the entire experience,” said Lutoff-Perlo. “It will help us personalize your cruise as we’ve never been able to do before.”

from

I hadn't seen this mentioned yet about using mobile phones to check-in, open your cabin door, or control the a/c. In one of the videos you see someone in their cabin using a tablet-like device to control the room and the narrator implies that ability. This gives them almost two years to perfect this technology AND their website. Personally, I can't wait to try it out.

The last big innovation in cruising dealt with RFID-enabled wristbands that let you scan in and out of the ship at port or charge drinks to your room. But wearables are a thing of the past, said Lutoff-Perlo. On the Edge ships, you’ll be able to do everything on your phone, from checking in to unlocking your stateroom door or controlling your room’s temperature and lighting.

It all happens via a proprietary Celebrity app, which also puts the concierge, ship map, and daily event schedule in each guest’s pocket. “We’ll send you notifications for the things you’ve told us you’re interested in and use it to reduce pain points across the entire experience,” said Lutoff-Perlo. “It will help us personalize your cruise as we’ve never been able to do before.”

from

Oh boy, I've got 2 years to get my husband to be comfortable using his iphone (and remembering to charge and bring it with him). :D

I don't mind to wear a "wearable" (like disney Magicband) but I will not carry my cell phone with me on a cruise ship! I'm on a cruise ship so work leave me the *** alone otherwise I keep getting call and I can't disconnect! Hopefully everything will still work with seapass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

If the new Celebrity App is like the website, my phone will probably open my neighbor's door and control the temperature in the MDR.

:D:D Yes, that's the worrying aspect of all this. You can imagine threads on here, post cruise, stating pax have been trapped in infinite cabins with the wind tearing through their rooms for hours and hours as they can't close the window :').

That is a non starter with me. I carry only my sea pass card which weighs nothing. I'm not trading that in to haul around my phone the whole trip. One of the first things we do is turnoff and toss our phones in the room safe where they stay until the cruise ends.

But nothing says you have to use the app so for those that do carry their phone everywhere it is a good options. I'm all for multiple choices.

I'm thinking that us that like technology know how to put our phones in air mode so we dont get calls from work. I dont put my phone in air mode, I just turn off the data. I personally like the idea of using my phone. I have it with me all the time anyway. Just the other day I called a work colleague. I asked if he was at work, he said it ok, I just got off work. I asked where are you. He said Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Technology is great.

from

Booked on the Edge for their inagural sailing but same technology is coming out with the new MSC ships, also travelling in their Yacht Club on their new ship next year - Seaside...oh my, so much technology in 1 year - i might need to back to school!!!:o:o:o

I doubt it would require purchasing a WiFi package. Probably, those features would be free on the WiFi.

I don't know if I want to be tethered to my phone either, but I can see the utility of it. For the suite guests, contact your butler or the concierge from anywhere on the ship. Book your shore excursions. Make spa appointments and dinner reservations. Check your SeaPass balance. Be able to pull up Celebrity Today from anywhere.