Playing the can I get it cheaper game...

BubbaLuvin

I booked a cruise and when putting down the deposit TA said up until 3 months before departure that if it goes on sale or upgrades or anything like that I can have it reassessed and changed. May 1st, for an upgrade in room the price went down almost $300 and OBC went up another $200. I found this out by asking other travel agents for a quote. I sent the amazing quote to my original TA, she honored the same price, same OBC, and room upgrade.

Today I received another quote that was $9.72 cheaper. Yes, just less than $10. I have no idea why I sent an email about it to my original TA, but I did. And as soon as I sent it I regretted it as it is only $10. BUT then I thought, $10 is $10.

WELL, the TA replied back that I seem to be comparison shopping from many, many TAs, and if over $9.72 I want to switch TA, I can let her know if she should cancel and I can book with the other TA.

I totally get it. But at the same time... why wouldn't I be comparison shopping? Shouldn't I want the best price? And now it makes me feel, I can't find the right words, makes me feel ill towards my TA.

What do you think?

Edited by BubbaLuvin
PS I did send an email back that I was sorry and do not wish to cancel, that I was only trying to get the best price possible

I booked a cruise and when putting down the deposit TA said up until 3 months before departure that if it goes on sale or upgrades or anything like that I can have it reassessed and changed. May 1st, for an upgrade in room the price went down almost $300 and OBC went up another $200. I found this out by asking other travel agents for a quote. I sent the amazing quote to my original TA, she honored the same price, same OBC, and room upgrade.

Today I received another quote that was $9.72 cheaper. Yes, just less than $10. I have no idea why I sent an email about it to my original TA, but I did. And as soon as I sent it I regretted it as it is only $10. BUT then I thought, $10 is $10.

WELL, the TA replied back that I seem to be comparison shopping from many, many TAs, and if over $9.72 I want to switch TA, I can let her know if she should cancel and I can book with the other TA.

I totally get it. But at the same time... why wouldn't I be comparison shopping? Shouldn't I want the best price? And now it makes me feel, I can't find the right words, makes me feel ill towards my TA.

What do you think?

IMO your agent is correct. If you are shopping for the best price, it is better to do it before committing to any TA.

Comparison Shopping implies that it is done before committing or paying a deposit, not after.

Your TA should feel ill towards you, after all you selected them and not the other way around.

My cut off, before placing with a TA would be $100 +/-, then again I purchase while on ship so there is no real shopping to be done, except which sailing we want for the next year.

I laud you for stepping up to the plate on this one, hopefully this is a good lesson learned?

You may want to consider sending your TA a token of your appreciation upon return from your sailing.

bon voyage and good luck with whatever your approach will be... going forward.

What do you think?

Wasting a TA's time over $10 is kind of selfish. His or her time is worth more than that. To your TA, you are not worth the headache.

I have a TA for "standard" (aka same as Celebrity's current) pricing, a different one / larger TA that has group pricing for some sailings and categories. Depending on the cruise/pricing, I then go with the respective TA. I even let the TA know when I am going with the other larger TA so there is full transparency and no hard feelings. Technically I could go with the larger TA for all my bookings, but I am on good terms with that individual TA and I want to give him some of my bookings. To keep life simple I don't price shop beyond these 2. It is important to keep a friendly relationship with your TA, even if it means forgoing a small difference.

Edited by CEOofVacation

As a TA - I would also question what you were doing - most do not charge a fee - I personally recheck all fares after each sale begins. But on occasion the client finds something as well. But it honestly seems like you were comparison shopping - some TA's may give back OBC's etc. Good for you for handling it as you did in the end. Most of us work very hard for not so much:).. :cool:

At first I agreed with most other posters. However, now that I have read everyone's responses I'm not sure I do agree.

Granted, I think $10 is hardly worth the email/phone call and changes having to be made.

However, you were correct in shopping around for a better deal the closer you came to sailing. Your TA promised she would match any better offer, you showed her one, and she complied. You do not have to apologize for that or be embarrassed about it. When prices dropped, your TA should have been on the ball, notified you, and adjusted your deal accordingly. TA's are in a competitive business and your business should go to one that works the most aggressively for you.

Saying you regret getting caught up in the "get the best deal" email for such a small amount is one thing, but no way should you apologize or get her a gift to make up for it. It's her job.

At first I agreed with most other posters. However, now that I have read everyone's responses I'm not sure I do agree.

Granted, I think $10 is hardly worth the email/phone call and changes having to be made.

However, you were correct in shopping around for a better deal the closer you came to sailing. Your TA promised she would match any better offer, you showed her one, and she complied. You do not have to apologize for that or be embarrassed about it. When prices dropped, your TA should have been on the ball, notified you, and adjusted your deal accordingly. TA's are in a competitive business and your business should go to one that works the most aggressively for you.

Saying you regret getting caught up in the "get the best deal" email for such a small amount is one thing, but no way should you apologize or get her a gift to make up for it. It's her job.

I didn't read the original post to say that she would price match ANY TA. Just that the OP was eligible for re-pricing due to celebrities sales up until final payment - which is true and should be honored by any TA. Now, if another TA out there is giving up part of their commission to give an additional sale price or has a group block of cabins - OPs TA can't be expected to price match that. They won't necessarily have access to the same group rates. If I book with a TA I made the decision based on what the TA is offering compared to celebrity's and other TAs rates. Once I book with that TA, I only monitor celebrity's website for sale and price drops. I supposed if you found a TA offering a better rate you could ask your TA to match it and keep the booking, otherwise you'd have to cancel and re-book; and while that might be worth trying for hundreds of dollars, over $10 that's pretty petty.

I agree that over $10 was extremely petty and childish. On the other hand if I didn't tell her about the other lower price I would have lost $600! So. Of course I am staying with her over $10, that being said for hundreds I certainly will book with someone else.

The only reason why I booked this early is because she told me I can cancel at anytime up until 3 months before with a full refund! And that if the price ever was lowered we'd reassess.

I honestly have to say, I have no idea why I even asked about the $10... after I hit send I instantly regretted it. I no longer work and I'm a student again, so I have loads and loads of free time. I think the free time and being able to be at the computer all day long checking and rechecking got to me.

I agree that over $10 was extremely petty and childish. On the other hand if I didn't tell her about the other lower price I would have lost $600! So. Of course I am staying with her over $10, that being said for hundreds I certainly will book with someone else.

The only reason why I booked this early is because she told me I can cancel at anytime up until 3 months before with a full refund! And that if the price ever was lowered we'd reassess.

Exactly. A TA makes promises so that you book with them immediately. They then should not be put out if you take them at their word.

I'd do it if I was managing my own booking, and I would certainly do it if a client asked, BUT, unless this was someone I had a long history with, I probably would be loathe to invest a lot of time in that person in the future if they wanted some port or excursion personal experience, or help saving on non-cruise related travel, or something else that was "special" and took time. I get why you did it and I don't fault you for it, but that ten dollars you got back cost probably fifteen minutes of your agent's time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$10 is probably a little small to be picking over. If the price went up by $10 would you ask to pay the difference.

I do have a concern that unless a TA is switched on to cruising and in our part of the world most aren't then they should in all conscience be trying to get you the best deal and monitor cruise lines for which they have customers booked. Nearly all don't because they have your 10% and are too lazy to o the job you pay them to do. Unless there is a fiscal return for you, using a TA you may as well book direct with the cruise line.

Why waste all the time and effort checking prices over and over? Even a good travel agent cannot possibly monitor every client's fare.

However, there is an el cheapo way to monitor prices using a fare cruise checker website. They will send you an e-mail for whatever parameters you set - any sailing, any category and prices up or down. You can even pull up a graph of the price history.

IMO your agent is correct. If you are shopping for the best price, it is better to do it before committing to any TA.

Comparison Shopping implies that it is done before committing or paying a deposit, not after.

Your TA should feel ill towards you, after all you selected them and not the other way around.

My cut off, before placing with a TA would be $100 +/-, then again I purchase while on ship so there is no real shopping to be done, except which sailing we want for the next year.

Just so others know, you have up to 60 days to transfer an on-board booking to a TA; so you may in fact wish to spend that time shopping for a TA that can give you additional OBC or other perks.

I laud you for stepping up to the plate on this one, hopefully this is a good lesson learned?

You may want to consider sending your TA a token of your appreciation upon return from your sailing.

bon voyage and good luck with whatever your approach will be... going forward.

Happy cruising

Why waste all the time and effort checking prices over and over? Even a good travel agent cannot possibly monitor every client's fare.

However, there is an el cheapo way to monitor prices using a fare cruise checker website. They will send you an e-mail for whatever parameters you set - any sailing, any category and prices up or down. You can even pull up a graph of the price history.

The fishy site you are referring to seems to have broken with Celebrity on 5/1. It missed a $800 price drop on me. I'm glad I keep checking myself. It appears that Celebrity changed something and my 9/15/2017 cruise has 3 links on the page. My paid monitoring is on a link which is no longer being updated! I posted to get them to fix it or at least give me my credit back.