Connie life after "Ocean Liners" - now Qsine (photos)

CruiseImage

Since they've removed Ocean Liners, the SS United States and similar type restaurants from the M-class ships we will be forgoing the specialty dining options when sailing those ships. We'll choose suites or Aqua if budget permits and enjoy the MDR when it doesn't. It also makes us less likely to choose those ships to sail at all unless they offer an itinerary that can't be found elsewhere. We are not fans of Tuscan and to us Qsine is a one and done experience. We won't be paying $10-$15 for hamburgers. They are not worth the money for something that should be (IMHO) included with the cruise fare. We enjoy burger/hotdogs by the pool, but they are something we can get anywhere and not a treat or a splurge worth over-paying. We like the longer itineraries and have the time for them, so I agree with the previous poster that the M-class ships will not appeal to the younger trendy crowd it seems to be targeting. They should have kept the classy feel, yes update them, but don't take away the classic ambience.

With S-class ships offering more options in most areas, and Edge class coming soon -- the M-class ships will never appeal to the young trendy crowd Celebrity is now courting. They would have been better off keeping them "classy" and deploying them for adventuresome itineraries to appeal to the more mature folks [like us!] who have time and money for longer cruises outside the same-old-same-old. But they have moved on, so we must consider doing the same.

I concur !!

Hi,

As an ocean liner fan, I greatly enjoyed having dinner in the Olympic (Millennium), Normandie (Summit) and Ocean Liners (Constellation). These were beautiful and unique rooms with very interesting memorabilia. Based on these photos, I don't care for the new modern look. I don't plan to cruise with Celebrity any time soon. Cunard is a much better fit for me.

Chuck

Well some may love the new look- some not- I am to count to the later- imo- just plain ugly. I am sure ( or hope ) they store parts of those wonderful Millenium Class Restaurants ( paneling, glas and such) to reinstall in their newer ships- so when Millenium Class get´s sold - which can´t be to long now they have them already taken out! All the same Restaurants installed in all ships get´s them ( X ) more in the line of all Massmarket ships- which seems their stragedy- and obviously - it works!

Well some may love the new look- some not- I am to count to the later- imo- just plain ugly. I am sure ( or hope ) they store parts of those wonderful Millenium Class Restaurants ( paneling, glas and such) to reinstall in their newer ships- so when Millenium Class get´s sold - which can´t be to long now they have them already taken out! All the same Restaurants installed in all ships get´s them ( X ) more in the line of all Massmarket ships- which seems their stragedy- and obviously - it works!

Actually there was no paneling in Ocean Liners, it was all faux painted, and very well done. That was pointed out to us on our last Connie cruise by the Maitre d. They are no longer allowed to have paneling on walls of the ships. I will miss those restaurants, and will not be dining in the specialty restaurants currently on the M-class ships. They are not worth the extra fee to us.

Ah i remember- it was glaswork on baord Connie. Thanks ! Won´t spend a penny extra in those new restaurants- I also doubt that I will sail on board one of the Milli- Class ships again! All that set them appart is gone...! So... I wait patiently for the Edge to arrive- then I give X another try- after 4 years of avoiding them - for the obvious reasons..!

With S-class ships offering more options in most areas, and Edge class coming soon -- the M-class ships will never appeal to the young trendy crowd Celebrity is now courting. They would have been better off keeping them "classy" and deploying them for adventuresome itineraries to appeal to the more mature folks [like us!] who have time and money for longer cruises outside the same-old-same-old. But they have moved on, so we must consider doing the same.

I see it differently. Times are changing and people are changing. People in their 50s, 60s, 70s, and heck even 80s today are much more adventurous and active than I ever recall my parents/ grandparents. I think it is awesome Celebrity is evolving with the times and seeking what people are looking for today to keep social and active. I am in my early 50s and I like what I see with the S class ships and the soon to be Edge class. It's not about changing, it's about evolving and embracing new things. This is one major reason I have left sailing Holland America. I saw nothing new or edgy with their ships. Now their itineraries are a different thing. Celebrity needs more ships to offer the longer and more exotic itineraries. They should not sell the M class ships but deploy into more markets.

I see it differently. Times are changing and people are changing. People in their 50s, 60s, 70s, and heck even 80s today are much more adventurous and active than I ever recall my parents/ grandparents. I think it is awesome Celebrity is evolving with the times and seeking what people are looking for today to keep social and active. I am in my early 50s and I like what I see with the S class ships and the soon to be Edge class. It's not about changing, it's about evolving and embracing new things. This is one major reason I have left sailing Holland America. I saw nothing new or edgy with their ships. Now their itineraries are a different thing. Celebrity needs more ships to offer the longer and more exotic itineraries. They should not sell the M class ships but deploy into more markets.

I agree with your thoughts on this topic. I hope Celebrity retains M-Class and keeps them constantly refurbished. Change is generally good. We are sailing on Connie next week. We have already booked Qsine and Tuscan Grill. We plan to try a burger at the Top Deck Burger Bar too. Why not? Why focus on the past and get all frustrated and grumpy about the way everything used to be? I'm not going to ruin my cruise or avoid booking Celebrity as I really like their cruises. I think a lot of others agree since their ships are always fully booked for the most part. They must be doing something right.

Remarkable! Many posters on this thread bemoan the loss of Ocean Liners as one of the last bits of classic cruising, yet some of the very same folks are all for the removal of formal or dressy attire in favor of "chic".

It's very difficult to reconcile these two things.

Remarkable! Many posters on this thread bemoan the loss of Ocean Liners as one of the last bits of classic cruising, yet some of the very same folks are all for the removal of formal or dressy attire in favor of "chic".

Why does what I eat have any bearing on what I wear? Your statement is hard to reconcile. It's 2017 not 1935. It's no longer a requirement to dress in ones finery to enjoy a top class meal.

That is absurd. I don't dress formally when I eat at a local restaurant (many better than anything on a Celebrity ship) so this is not a factor. And my (and most I talk to) issue has absolutely nothing to do with "classic cruising." Classic cruising was pretty boring. My issue is the loss of good food and good service.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Currently on Connie. We ate at the new Qsine a couple of nights ago. It was very good and very consistent with the other Qsine's that we tried on other Celebrity ships. The space on deck 3 is pretty large and tables are spaced apart. We had a table for 8 in the back in a separate area all by ourselves.