Leaving on a Jet Plane.....actually, no, I'm not :(

regional flight delayed for maintence. I'm going to miss a full day in Vancouver. Unfortunate, but not trip breaking. Sadly, the waiting room has several families flying to Vancouver and Seattle for cruises leaving today. They have been told completely zero chance.

Bad news for some.

Hope it works out for you and you have a great cruise.

Sorry to hear this. Glad you were wise enough not to fly out of the day of your sailing.

I'm fine; just losing a vacation day in Vancouver. But two groups in terminal are not going to make their sailings. We are in a small Virginia airport. If one flight is delayed or cancelled, there really are no options.

That is exactly the airport situation we have where I live--and why we have a rule about flying three days early to take a cruise. You were wise to not try and make a cruise the same day as your flight.

I'm fine; just losing a vacation day in Vancouver. But two groups in terminal are not going to make their sailings. We are in a small Virginia airport. If one flight is delayed or cancelled, there really are no options.

We have the same problem here. if our puddle hopper isn't going, we have no other way to get connected. Why we always leave early to enjoy the pre-cruise port and know we are getting on our cruise ;)

I live about 90 minutes from Atlanta Airport (worlds busiest). Even with that, I am generally in Atlanta the night before. You never can tell when something will go wrong and you risk missing your flight, like maybe a bridge collapsing on a major interstate!

Sorry to hear about your delay, that is never a good start to a vacation.

Again we always fly out in advance, 3 days for longhaul, and 1 day before within Europe.

Here in the UK there were major flight delays on British Airways last weekend, due to a total computer system failure. You just can't predict that type of situation.

I know what you mean. I was flying home from a trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula several years ago, and our small plane had engine problems, causing the flight to be cancelled. It wasn't a problem for me, as I could just as easily fly the next day. But for anyone who had to get to Chicago that afternoon, it just wasn't happening. Acres and acres of tarmac and only our little sick bird sitting out there.

I'm sorry you'll miss a day in Vancouver, but at least you won't miss the cruise.

As others have said we fly out several days ahead. You have a great attitude and seem calm. Have a wonderful cruise enjoy. I have seen the same thing with families or friends missing flights on the same day of a cruise at the airport and it sure makes it sad and stressful!

Smooth Sailings.

Denise:)

OP, so sorry to hear about your delay.

I guess we are fortunate living near a major airport, LAX. Although we almost always fly in at least one day early anyway. Recent exception was a round trip cruise out of Seattle. We took almost the earliest nonstop flight out of LAX to SEA. Plenty of other flights (and airlines) if needed. We were eating lunch in the Lido by noon!

Sounded as though both groups had flights through the cruise line.

At least HAL will get them to next port I guess but still not great news. We also, from learning on CC, to fly a couple days early. Was so thankful we did when my suitcase was lost. Got it just before our Panama cruise.

Sorry you'll miss a day in our beautiful Vancouver-if it helps any, it's cloudy today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NOOOOOOOO. So sad to hear that. :( Glad you're not going to miss your cruise.

Whenever we relocate, we make sure it's close to a major airport so we can get to family when we need to. If I'm already traumatized, something like that would be sure to send me over the edge.

Why would anyone attempt to do a cross country flight to get a cruise same day? That's ridiculous.

People who aren't frequent travellers wouldn't have this kind of thing on their radar. They will now, though! lol

Why would anyone attempt to do a cross country flight to get a cruise same day? That's ridiculous.

I know that it sounds crazy to us frequent cruisers, but remember that many people seldom travel and are not aware of the pitfalls of doing this. You would think that their travel agent would have advised them against doing this though.

Sorry to hear about your delay, that is never a good start to a vacation.

Again we always fly out in advance, 3 days for longhaul, and 1 day before within Europe.

Here in the UK there were major flight delays on British Airways last weekend, due to a total computer system failure. You just can't predict that type of situation.

Plus 1.

Not adding enough pre-cruise days in the embarkation port (even when it is Swamplandia) is a prime example of "pennywise and pound foolish."

- kind of like those who will drive for three day each direction to avoid paying airfare for a 7 day cruise.

Actually, with Alaska cruises, there is no guarantee that the cruise line can fly them to the next port due to the PVSA.

You're right, yet another complication!!

If the cruise is Vancouver-to-Vancouver, they'll be OK boarding at a US port. If it's Seattle-Seattle, then another US port is not OK. Our 14-day cruise on Amsterdam has Victoria as the last (and only Canadian) port, so if we couldn't board in Seattle, we'd be totally out of luck. Or maybe we could fly to a US port and leave the ship early, in Victoria?

For today's stranded passengers, can HAL get some kind of emergency exemption, or will they just pay the fine?

At least HAL will get them to next port I guess but still not great news. We also, from learning on CC, to fly a couple days early. Was so thankful we did when my suitcase was lost. Got it just before our Panama cruise.

Sorry you'll miss a day in our beautiful Vancouver-if it helps any, it's cloudy today.

Well, hopefully they will try to do that. Remember, it's not a guarantee. There has to be availability of flights to get them out to somewhere in Alaska - not an easy task. Hopefully, this is one of the cruises where you can "catch up" - there are some that, if you miss the embarkation port, the crulseline cannot board you elsewhere.

This may sound like a dumb question but how far are you from a major airport. Could you drive to a major airport and fly from there.

DON

I know that it sounds crazy to us frequent cruisers, but remember that many people seldom travel and are not aware of the pitfalls of doing this. You would think that their travel agent would have advised them against doing this though.

Both Princess and Holland had booked their flights. Cruise lines have more faith in small regional airports than I do!