What do you like and/or dislike about sharing a table with strangers?

Hey Tina

We tried open dining on a long transatlantic cruise. Both my husband and I have some hearing loss. We were seated at tables for eight almost every night. It was such a strain to hear and to be with new people every night. And, the bigger the table the slower the service. By week three we were eating in the Lido every night. Since then we ask for a table for two, fixed dining. It is such a pleasure to have the same waiters every night, particularly on a long cruise. They quickly learn your likes and dislikes. If you book late and are told that fixed dining is full, just see the maitre d on embarkation day. He will either find you a table or put you on a waiting list. One usually opens up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I the bad guy if I reach for the bread or sip my wine while four strangers at the table are joining hands and chanting?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

No, you're not the bad guy. You're the guy whose hand collides with my husband, who is also reaching for the bread. ;p

I like it bc usually DCL does a good job placing us with families that have the same makeup as our family. So our children become friends during the whole cruise and have each other to play with in the kids area. As for the parents we've had good luck for the most part and one I am still friends with to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regarding the whole blessings thing, I think those who are pro public blessing and can't understand why you can't just sit there quietly aren't taking into consideration what they would do if a Muslim or someone of a completely different faith asked you to join them in prayer. As a practicing Christian I would be highly uncomfortable praying to Allah, for example. He is not my god and I would feel blasphemous doing it just for the sake of politeness. Not everyone is comfortable with going with the flow for good reason when it comes to deeply personally things like religious beliefs.

Good point. To rationalize it in an otherwise logical mind requires a highly offensive lack of respect for others, such a high degree of disrespect that expecting any respect in return is like expecting that you have been seated with the Buddha.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Regarding the whole blessings thing, I think those who are pro public blessing and can't understand why you can't just sit there quietly aren't taking into consideration what they would do if a Muslim or someone of a completely different faith asked you to join them in prayer. As a practicing Christian I would be highly uncomfortable praying to Allah, for example. He is not my god and I would feel blasphemous doing it just for the sake of politeness. Not everyone is comfortable with going with the flow for good reason when it comes to deeply personally things like religious beliefs.

I don't think anyone here has asked others to 'pray' to another God/Allah/the devil/etc. All that was mentioned was table mates could bow their head in silence OR give thanks to whatever their deity is. Be it a sheep, a sun, a river, whatever. It is an act of giving thanks. If you boil it down to something that simple, most everyone should be able to find a path that suits them to "feel" comfortable for 1 minute.

An idea for those that have a need to pray or moment of silence, grace, etc. Perhaps this could be done prior to entering the MDR when you may be seated with folks that do not necessarily have the same beliefs. A group standing together outside the dining room, holding hands or whatever is appropriate I think.

As for being seated with others, it would depend on the group for me. The DH is a very private person, so would want his own table unless he knew and liked his table mates.

If you boil it down to something that simple, most everyone should be able to ...

I hope you can take a step back and see your comment for the self ratifying rationalization that it is.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

What are the pros/cons of getting a table in the MDR for just your family/group versus sharing a larger table with strangers.

Best/worst experiences for each way (alone/ with strangers)?

This topic comes up occasionally, but I always welcome hearing new stories. For us, eating at large tables with new people has been a mostly positive thing. My favorite story was from 2007 on Majesty a 3 day cruise. A lot of people skip the dining room on that short cruise, but we had early seating and were at a table for 10. Nobody else ever showed up! However, the table next to us had 2 parents, 2 kids, and 2 grandparents. We normally get late seating to avoid kids as much as possible, but it wasn't available to us. However, these kids were remarkably well behaved and pleasant. It was the grandparents who b1tched and moaned about every silly little thing. They were very obnoxious to the wait team. We got great service because our waiters hated going over there.

On the minimal side, on Allure in 2013 we were at a table for 8 and it was us (Midwest couple 50s) A Calfornia couple from around the same age, a Chicago couple in their 40s, and a father/son team from Vegas. The Chicago couple announced right away had asked for a table tor 2 and never spoke another word. (They switched) The father/son team was nice enough, but they ordered every appetizer/entre/dessert on the menu so it slowed down our service quite a bit.

On the continuing minor issues, our 2016 Majesty cruise we were seated at a table for 4 with a Korean/American couple. They arrived 10 minutes before us and sat on opposite sides of the table. Most times that I have seen couples at large tables they sit next to each other. They spoke Korean until the waiter came and then ordered in English. After hearing they spoke English we tried speaking to them. (We had say hello and they had nodded). We found out they were from Chicago and then they went back to Korean. They never came back the next night. Off to read your other replies.

When we first started cruising we were seated at tables with 6-8 people, that lasted 2 cruises, after that we now request table for 2.

On Oasis in 2016 we asked for a large table, but were given a table for 2 in a section with several other tables for 2, they were packed so tight you might as well all be at the same table. That cause a little problem as the couple next to us was very soft spoken and I'm hearing impaired. Glad my wife was there.

On another note, the newer specialty dining packages all seem to require you to use one night on the first night. On our Adventure cruise 2 chairs were empty the first night and we assumed they were at a specialty restaurant that night. Night 2 came and they showed up at our table, chatted awhile and let us know they had Chops that night because it was their anniversary, but wanted to meet everyone. I thought that was a nice gesture.

On our first two cruises, we dined at the large table with others. The biggest problem is that some of the other guests would not show, and we kept waiting for them until our servers gave up.

The last two cruises, we dined at a table for our party, and shared tables at breakfast and lunch or in the lounges. I find it brings a good balance to the socializing we do the rest of the time with others.

On our first two cruises, we dined at the large table with others. The biggest problem is that some of the other guests would not show, and we kept waiting for them until our servers gave up.

The last two cruises, we dined at a table for our party, and shared tables at breakfast and lunch or in the lounges. I find it brings a good balance to the socializing we do the rest of the time with others.

I love that balance!

I don't think anyone here has asked others to 'pray' to another God/Allah/the devil/etc. All that was mentioned was table mates could bow their head in silence OR give thanks to whatever their deity is. Be it a sheep, a sun, a river, whatever. It is an act of giving thanks. If you boil it down to something that simple, most everyone should be able to find a path that suits them to "feel" comfortable for 1 minute.

No. That really isn't how being nonreligious works. It would still cause great discomfort.

Just a personal observation....but when I see a couple sitting at a large table alone they seem very uncomfortable...not a good situation.

As a practicing Christian I would be highly uncomfortable praying to Allah, for example. He is not my god and I would feel blasphemous doing it just for the sake of politeness.

Technically, he is! Muslims and Christians actually worship the same god, "Allah" is just the arabic word for "god." It would be just like if a French Christian of a different denomination prayed to "dieu"...different word, same dude.

That piece of trivia aside, I definitely agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't be expected to participate in a prayer of a different religion or denomination—heck, even the same denomination. I also grew up in an area where one's religion was very much a private, personal thing. When people make a public production out of their faith I actually find it a little scandalous, a little like if they started going into detail about the particular things they enjoy in the bedroom. Just "Woah...kind of TMI, don't you think?"

I also agree that bowing ones head/folding ones' hands is a form of participation. I am an atheist in a Christian family and bowing my head during grace is the kind of thing I do to fly under the radar and hide who I am...it's not something that I would choose to do when I am being my authentic self. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I would tell someone saying grace to shut up, but I am not going to participate in it. And I would certainly prefer if they would say it inside their head and keep their grace/rituals/etc. within their 1-person bubble of personal space.

Now with THAT out of the way.

I don't get how it holds everyone up if you don't show up for dinner? We had a steakhouse reservation for the first night on Carnival, and another night we decided to eat at the buffet instead of going to the MDR. It's not like we swung by just to tell the staff we weren't coming that night. I even asked if there was someone I should notify and they said "No." I'm sure a lot of people skip the MDR for various reasons so it should be an extremely common occurrence to have no-shows.

You all have made me re-think my time dining. Our last cruise - we were at a table for 10- a family of 4, all adults and another couple , husband and wife.The wife at the table gasped when I had a glass of wine after having had a cocktail and we never saw them again. The next night we ate with the other family and seemed to get along well- but then they told us they were going to request a table for four. Third night it was the two of us at a table for 10 which was ridiculous. We did get a very nice table for two by a window- but I missed having tablemates. I did not realize you could request to sit at a large table when you did anytime dining.

Edited by marion10
typo

Our last cruise we did fixed time dining in the late slot and were seated with three other couples in their 20's. While I wouldn't say I made any lifelong friendships that week, the conversation was good and everyone got along. I liked having new people to talk with, but my boyfriend is more shy than me, so he didn't talk nearly as much as he would have if it had been just the two of us at a table.

We're trying out any time dining on the upcoming Royal cruise and I am very interested to see how it compares!

I don't get how it holds everyone up if you don't show up for dinner? We had a steakhouse reservation for the first night on Carnival, and another night we decided to eat at the buffet instead of going to the MDR. It's not like we swung by just to tell the staff we weren't coming that night. I even asked if there was someone I should notify and they said "No." I'm sure a lot of people skip the MDR for various reasons so it should be an extremely common occurrence to have no-shows.

If you are dining at a Fixed seating with an assigned table, the waiter will normally wait a specific period of time for missing folks. It could be 10 minutes...or perhaps a bit longer. Meanwhile, those at the table are just sitting on their hands. The normal protocol is that folks, planning to skip a meal in the MDR, would let either the waiter or somebody at the table know that they are not coming to dinner. Otherwise, everyone (including the waiters) are held up....while they wait.

Hank

If you are dining at a Fixed seating with an assigned table, the waiter will normally wait a specific period of time for missing folks. It could be 10 minutes...or perhaps a bit longer. Meanwhile, those at the table are just sitting on their hands. The normal protocol is that folks, planning to skip a meal in the MDR, would let either the waiter or somebody at the table know that they are not coming to dinner. Otherwise, everyone (including the waiters) are held up....while they wait.

Hank

How do you let them know? Do you physically go down to the dining room to let them know and then walk all the way back to your alternate dinner venue? There wasn't a number to call when I asked. I was only travelling with my boyfriend and we ate together every night, so I couldn't give someone at my table a heads up in advance since we only ever saw them in the dining room during dinner.

So now that we have exhausted the religious displays at a public table issue, what's next? I know some people say never discuss politics but is that just an American thing? Up in Canada we discuss politics all the time. It is a much civilized discussion compared to our hockey debates. ;)

Last cruise, my husband and I requested a table for 8. We ended up at a table for 6 with 2 other couples about our ages (50's). We all had a great time telling each other about our day. One couple was always late. We would wait about 10-15 minutes, but then we would order.

If on any night, we were going to eat at another venue, we always let our waiter know so that we didn't hold up their table service that night.

I would only talk about politics at a cruise dinner table if it was very apparent that everyone was on the same page. And even then...it's vacation, it's my one week a year where I don't have to think about that stuff. I'd rather talk about pretty much anything else.

The most reliable conversation topic is the cruise itself, since everyone has something to contribute. My table talked a lot about the different activities and excursions we all did during the week. It's nice because no matter who you meet, you know you have at least one thing in common.

Other than that, I like talking about video games and movies, other travel-related topics, funny anecdotes from life, relationship stuff ("How did you two meet?" "What did you do for your wedding?"). I like to keep it light.