What do you like and/or dislike about sharing a table with strangers?

Hey Tina

You all have made me re-think my time dining. Our last cruise - we were at a table for 10- a family of 4, all adults and another couple , husband and wife.The wife at the table gasped when I had a glass of wine after having had a cocktail and we never saw them again. The next night we ate with the other family and seemed to get along well- but then they told us they were going to request a table for four. Third night it was the two of us at a table for 10 which was ridiculous. We did get a very nice table for two by a window- but I missed having tablemates. I did not realize you could request to sit at a large table when you did anytime dining.

Why would someone do that? Is there something wrong with having a drink? I don't get it. Some people are just odd.

Why would someone do that? Is there something wrong with having a drink? I don't get it. Some people are just odd.

The only thing I could think of is perhaps they are an alcoholic. But a cruise ship isn't the best vacation for them as alcohol is served all over the ship. Most sailings do have groups "friends of Bill W" meetings which is a group for recovering alcoholics.

After reading all of the comments on this thread, I truly would never want to sit at a table with strangers-

I don't think anyone here has asked others to 'pray' to another God/Allah/the devil/etc. All that was mentioned was table mates could bow their head in silence OR give thanks to whatever their deity is. Be it a sheep, a sun, a river, whatever. It is an act of giving thanks. If you boil it down to something that simple, most everyone should be able to find a path that suits them to "feel" comfortable for 1 minute.

You are right. That's exactly what i believe

Technically, he is! Muslims and Christians actually worship the same god, "Allah" is just the arabic word for "god." It would be just like if a French Christian of a different denomination prayed to "dieu"...different word, same dude.

That piece of trivia aside, I definitely agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't be expected to participate in a prayer of a different religion or denomination—heck, even the same denomination. I also grew up in an area where one's religion was very much a private, personal thing. When people make a public production out of their faith I actually find it a little scandalous, a little like if they started going into detail about the particular things they enjoy in the bedroom. Just "Woah...kind of TMI, don't you think?"

I also agree that bowing ones head/folding ones' hands is a form of participation. I am an atheist in a Christian family and bowing my head during grace is the kind of thing I do to fly under the radar and hide who I am...it's not something that I would choose to do when I am being my authentic self. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I would tell someone saying grace to shut up, but I am not going to participate in it. And I would certainly prefer if they would say it inside their head and keep their grace/rituals/etc. within their 1-person bubble of personal space.

Now with THAT out of the way.

I don't get how it holds everyone up if you don't show up for dinner? We had a steakhouse reservation for the first night on Carnival, and another night we decided to eat at the buffet instead of going to the MDR. It's not like we swung by just to tell the staff we weren't coming that night. I even asked if there was someone I should notify and they said "No." I'm sure a lot of people skip the MDR for various reasons so it should be an extremely common occurrence to have no-shows.

I was going to say that but i didn't want to bring up the whole religion thing. God, Allah Jehovah, the great I AM THAT I AM. All another word for the ONE GOD. god .Which even if you believe the bible god said" I am that i am call me that. so i laughed when you said that because i was thinking the same thing. However i think like the previous poster said even if you don't believe in god you can respectfully take a moment in quiet reflection while they pray. Usually it's less than 2 minutes.lol

More likely it was a religious thing (e.g., Baptist, Mormon).

I'm intrigued now. I'll admit I know nothing about religion. Is drinking against religions like that? I know a lot of people who go to church (of different denominations) and I think all of them drink. I'd love to meet the lady to gasped and ask why, just for my own curiosity.

However i think like the previous poster said even if you don't believe in god you can respectfully take a moment in quiet reflection while they pray. Usually it's less than 2 minutes.lol

Sorry, but for me that's still participating in a religious/spiritual ritual. I don't take moments of quiet reflection before I eat a meal, I just...don't do it. If someone wants to do something like that, that's between them and their deity. I don't need to be involved in any way.

Edited by Strophic

Sorry, but for me that's still participating in a religious/spiritual ritual. I don't take moments of quiet reflection before I eat a meal, I just...don't do it. If someone want to do something like that, that's between them and their deity. I don't need to be involved in any way.

Amen to that.

You all have made me re-think my time dining. Our last cruise - we were at a table for 10- a family of 4, all adults and another couple , husband and wife.The wife at the table gasped when I had a glass of wine after having had a cocktail and we never saw them again. The next night we ate with the other family and seemed to get along well- but then they told us they were going to request a table for four. Third night it was the two of us at a table for 10 which was ridiculous. We did get a very nice table for two by a window- but I missed having tablemates. I did not realize you could request to sit at a large table when you did anytime dining.

What a fuddy-dud. You're on vacation and not driving anywhere. Cruising is the place to let loose like that compared to any other vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but for me that's still participating in a religious/spiritual ritual. I don't take moments of quiet reflection before I eat a meal, I just...don't do it. If someone wants to do something like that, that's between them and their deity. I don't need to be involved in any way.

I agree totally. I drink, swear, eat bacon, agree in equality, freedom of choice etc, and I am totally happy if anyone wants a moment of prayer, as long as I can carry on eating and drinking.

that's ok . :hearteyes:

I'm intrigued now. I'll admit I know nothing about religion. Is drinking against religions like that? I know a lot of people who go to church (of different denominations) and I think all of them drink. I'd love to meet the lady to gasped and ask why, just for my own curiosity.

Not my religion lol:halo:

Where is the flying pig??? We agree on something ;)

I suppose it had to happen some time. After all, perfect consistency is difficult to maintain.

But, don't you think that sometimes differences of opinion are helpful? Challenges to one's views are a bit like calesthenics - sort of resistance exercise.

I hate to point it out - but there have many times we have been in agreement: think of all the posts you have made which were not followed by my contradictory views. I have certainly noted some of my posts which went unchallenged by you.

Since the introduction of my time dining, we go for a two top. We don't like taking hours to eat and often skip dessert.

All of the cruise line seem to have figured this out except for Holland America. They would always try to seat us with others, when we declined we would sometimes have to wait over an hour for a two top. Then we often ended up on the second floor and they would try to synchronize us with the late seating. In the meantime, I would see two tops empty, not reset for an hour. When asked about them they would say they were reserved????

So, we like to come and go on our own schedule, not sit around trying to make small talk with strangers.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

They did not drink alcohol ( I assume)- they offered a free cocktail ( this was on Celebrity) the first night and they turned it down- which is fine with me. I think she saw having two drinks as being out of control.

I really like talking to new people at dinner and was sorry not to have the chance on this cruise.

Intolerance of whatever seems to be a recurring theme. In general to use the biblical quote "take the plank out of your own eye before you worry about the speck in somebody else's eye" Slight paraphrase

I suppose it had to happen some time. After all, perfect consistency is difficult to maintain.

But, don't you think that sometimes differences of opinion are helpful? Challenges to one's views are a bit like calesthenics - sort of resistance exercise.

I hate to point it out - but there have many times we have been in agreement: think of all the posts you have made which were not followed by my contradictory views. I have certainly noted some of my posts which went unchallenged by you.

True, but it's been awhile (or Senior Moments for me). But, I love to trot out the "flying pig" once in awhile ;-)

For the person who asked about alcohol and religion. Try Utah. The Legislature is 90% white, male, LDS (aka "mormon"). Basically, what the Church says becomes law by some miracle. Alcohol is tightly controlled to the point of absurdity. Take the "Zion Wall": restaurants who wanted to have a bar had to put up a literal wall at the bar so "children" would not be subjected to looking at the display of alcohol bottles or a bartender mixing a drink... God forbid a child would see a bottle of Stoli - he'd instantly become an alcoholic and lose the chance for a Temple Recommend so he'd never be able to be joined with his Celestial Family in Heaven... The new things that started May 1: every restaurant or bar must display a sign that states either "This is a Restaurant, NOT a Bar" or "This is a Bar, NOT a Restaurant."

The current US President is doing what he can to get many to agree that he's scum, regardless of party affiliation. No debate there.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We try not to get into international politcal discussions, comparing systems and so forth, more internal stuff if there are lots of Canadains around. Well, I have to admit that Mrs. Dawg likes to boast now that our guy is sexier than your guy. She could't say that for our previous PM. :)

I love meeting new people at mealtimes. I believe I learn more from people who are different from me than I ever could from people who are similar to me.

However, I am rather perturbed by posters who feel I should sit with my head bowed while they perform their religious observance. Of course, if I go into their place of worship I would expect to respect their rituals. At dinner on a cruise? No.

I love meeting new people at mealtimes. I believe I learn more from people who are different from me than I ever could from people who are similar to me.

However, I am rather perturbed by posters who feel I should sit with my head bowed while they perform their religious observance. Of course, if I go into their place of worship I would expect to respect their rituals. At dinner on a cruise? No.

NO ONE said you 'SHOULD'. It was mentioned you 'COULD'. And again, NO ONE said you 'SHOULD' pray to another person's religion, etc It was mentioned you 'COULD' give your own thanks for your own reasons to your own god be true.

NO ONE said you 'SHOULD'. It was mentioned you 'COULD'. And again, NO ONE said you 'SHOULD' pray to another person's religion, etc It was mentioned you 'COULD' give your own thanks for your own reasons to your own god be true.

Give it up. There is no reason why anyone needs to have to sit through someone's overt religious display at a dinner table. It is disrespectful and boastful to think that some stranger wants to sit mute to satisfy some need to perform a public act of worship. I have not run into anyone other then Evangelicals who want to force others at their table to listen to them. I have not been asked by Jewish table members, Muslim table members, Quaker table members, to either join in or sit mute for a public worship moment...

If you or your family require saying a verbal prayer and/or holding hands at a dinner table, perhaps it would be the polite thing to do to ask for a table just for you. Solves the problem of you being insulted that others don't want to participate and of others being insulted that you want them to sit there awkwardly while you perform your ritual.

"to your own god" - that implies that everyone has a god. That is an arrogant assumption.

The message was very much that the only polite thing to do is bow your head and wait for them to be done.