re meat pies

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

In fact just finished a couple of their chunky ones with mash and mushy peas, yummmmm

I had one of their chunky beef pies yesterday for lunch with peas, gravy and chips. They also have chicken and vege plus the standard beef pies.

I do my usual shop at Aldi then go to Coles for their macadamia nuts and the occasional roast chook. My dishwasher was an Aldi special, had it for about seven years and it's still going strong as well as my self propelled, mulching, lawn mower. I buy a lot of their specials including my motorcycle gear. At the moment I need a new helmet, boots and pants due to my recent get-off in NZ. I'm expecting them to be on special soon.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Their chook and vege pie is great with some cheese sauce.

they also have great prices on macadamias at times

I used to buy the Aldi macadamias but found the Coles ones are much nicer although dearer.

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I do not like the fact that by shopping in some of these places, I have to then have to do all the work for them by  scanning the products for them (that is there job) but they still have someone there to make sure that you are doing it properly. And yet you cannot use these things properly if you have a trolley full as there is not enough room. 

I completely agree! I only use them if I have 1 or 2 items and the other lines are long. I'm sure it's great for the store, not so good for us shoppers.

6 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

I completely agree! I only use them if I have 1 or 2 items and the other lines are long. I'm sure it's great for the store, not so good for us shoppers.

They keep having profits and part of that is not paying as many staff.

16 hours ago, Russell21 said:

We just cherry pick selected items from Aldi, I mean a German company that does not stock Sauerkraut? We have to buy that from Woolworths who stock some items that we can't buy at Coles as well.

Aldi only have sauerkraut when they have a Bavarian Promo.   Agree, I buy my sauerkraut at Woollies, Edgell is not bad.  Also Sandhurst foods have a sauerkraut from Poland available in Woolies.   I like the pickled red cabbage too, love all that stuff.

Edited by NSWP

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Aldi only have sauerkraut when they have a Bavarian Promo.   Agree, I buy my sauerkraut at Woollies, Edgell is not bad.  Also Sandhurst foods have a sauerkraut from Poland available in Woolies.   I like the pickled red cabbage too, love all that stuff.

We like the German one from Woolies, the same brand as the red cabbage.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

We like the German one from Woolies, the same brand as the red cabbage.

Have to wait for Oktoberfest, perhaps in September Aldi will get a container load of German goodies for us.

We were in Aldi this arvo, bought my usual couple of jars of Bratwurst sausages, great for the hot dogs.

Edited by NSWP

23 hours ago, Russell21 said:

We just cherry pick selected items from Aldi, I mean a German company that does not stock Sauerkraut? 

It does sometimes. I picked up a stash of the Hak brand Sauerkraut and Red Cabbage a few months ago.

I found another Sauerkraut brand, Baska-Jon, which I thought was really nice but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it from. 

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Have to wait for Oktoberfest, perhaps in September Aldi will get a container load of German goodies for us.

We were in Aldi this arvo, bought my usual couple of jars of Bratwurst sausages, great for the hot dogs.

I don't mind bratwurst. I I'll have to remember to get some there next time I go shopping.

Aldi can leave the sauerkraut in Germany. I tried some while on a Rhine cruise last year. I was on an Avalon cruise and all passengers were given vouchers for a free beer, sausage and sauerkraut lunch at a popular restaurant. Everyone liked the beer and sausage but most of the sauerkraut was left behind.

15 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I don't mind bratwurst. I I'll have to remember to get some there next time I go shopping.

Aldi can leave the sauerkraut in Germany. I tried some while on a Rhine cruise last year. I was on an Avalon cruise and all passengers were given vouchers for a free beer, sausage and sauerkraut lunch at a popular restaurant. Everyone liked the beer and sausage but most of the sauerkraut was left behind.

Was that at Regensburg perchance?

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

It's an acquired taste, and sometimes it can be a bit too sour.

18 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I think that was it. It was close to the river and seating was almost all outside.

Yes, have had the white sausage there myself. We (my wife and I) had a platter and struggled to finish it, we did mange to finish a few beers each though.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:13 PM, MicCanberra said:

Cheese, chocolate and wine, what else is needed?

I'm a big fan of their beers and the price makes them taste even better!

Goes down well with a chunky angus pie on Origin night.

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, have had the white sausage there myself. We (my wife and I) had a platter and struggled to finish it, we did mange to finish a few beers each though.

The day we were there we arrived by bus as our Avalon cruise ship got impounded. It sprung a diesel leak the night before (I could smell the diesel in our cabin) and moored up before reaching our scheduled port and, the German EPA equivalent would not release it until the leak was found and fixed. The fault was fixed but we had such a late departure we were shouted, by Avalon, drinks and nibbles at a pub to help pass the time.

7 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The day we were there we arrived by bus as our Avalon cruise ship got impounded. It sprung a diesel leak the night before (I could smell the diesel in our cabin) and moored up before reaching our scheduled port and, the German EPA equivalent would not release it until the leak was found and fixed. The fault was fixed but we had such a late departure we were shouted, by Avalon, drinks and nibbles at a pub to help pass the time.

We were on a land tour and Regensburg was our brunch stop as well as looking around for a few hours.

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Another pie shop closes after 50 years. The Fire Station in Darby Street, Newcastle. I've never heard of it so I can't say how good their pies were.

Opposite the fire station behind the workies, not a bad pie, the building was sold the elderly family running the shop decided it was as good a time as any to pull up stumps.

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Opposite the fire station behind the workies, not a bad pie, the building was sold the elderly family running the shop decided it was as good a time as any to pull up stumps.

That was after my time when I lived in Laman st, in the shop next to the school.

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

That was after my time when I lived in Laman st, in the shop next to the school.

The daughter worked over the road for a while so if I was free we would meet for lunch.