re meat pies

27 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

I don't know about you Aussies, but I loved Aldi when we were there! Cheeses, breakfast rolls, lots of stuff was good.

I see they are moving into the US market, but not where we live.

If the come to the USA and it works they’ll quickly spread

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

So then young Brian.... an East End pie would be jellied eels then with mashed spud and ye olde malt vinegar, albeit with a chilli infusion.  Sounds nice.  

Jellied eels? You're getting the Cockney cuisine mixed up.That's another delicacy.

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

I don't know about you Aussies, but I loved Aldi when we were there! Cheeses, breakfast rolls, lots of stuff was good.

I see they are moving into the US market, but not where we live.

We shop there every week.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

We don’t do a regular shop anymore but buy a lot of Aldi stuff and then grab what we can’t get there at Woolworths

We tend to avoid the woollies and coles now as they are overpriced and the service is underwhelming.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

If the come to the USA and it works they’ll quickly spread

I think they are spreading pretty fast. i see TV commercials for them, even though we don't have one! That must be on national broadcasts, like sports or network prime time shows.

5 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

I think they are spreading pretty fast. i see TV commercials for them, even though we don't have one! That must be on national broadcasts, like sports or network prime time shows.

I think their business model is very appealing to many who are not only budget conscious and sick of self service checkouts.

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think their business model is very appealing to many who are not only budget conscious and sick of self service checkouts.

I hate those "self-service" checkouts. Something always goes wrong and you have to wait for someone to come and help. I avoid them. You may be on to something with these thoughts.

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

I hate those "self-service" checkouts. Something always goes wrong and you have to wait for someone to come and help. I avoid them. You may be on to something with these thoughts.

I do not like the fact that by shopping in some of these places, I have to then have to do all the work for them by  scanning the products for them (that is there job) but they still have someone there to make sure that you are doing it properly. And yet you cannot use these things properly if you have a trolley full as there is not enough room. 

19 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

We don’t do a regular shop anymore but buy a lot of Aldi stuff and then grab what we can’t get there at Woolworths

What we do, 50/50 Aldi and Woolies. Hate Coles.  Get the odd item from IGA stores as well, we have 5 of them down here.

The Aldi vintage cheese is good.  Do you know who the supplier is for Aldi cheese?  Bega Cheese !!

Now this is the Meat Pie/Cheese thread.  Nowt wrong with that.

Edited by NSWP

As great a value Aldi is, I have two problems

1. Range is bit limited

2.Theyll have an item this week (maybe even a particular brand) but never again.

i know it’s how they keep prices low. But does make it difficult to shop there exclusively.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

What we do, 50/50 Aldi and Woolies. Hate Coles.  Get the odd item from IGA stores as well, we have 5 of them down here.

The Aldi vintage cheese is good.  Do you know who the supplier is for Aldi cheese?  Bega Cheese !!

Now this is the Meat Pie/Cheese thread.  Nowt wrong with that.

Brothers Oven have a cheese and bacon pie that is quite nice.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

As great a value Aldi is, I have two problems

1. Range is bit limited

2.Theyll have an item this week (maybe even a particular brand) but never again.

i know it’s how they keep prices low. But does make it difficult to shop there exclusively.

Yes, limited range (but most are quality and cheaper) and of course they do not even stock some items so you still need to go elsewhere for some items.

9 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

We just cherry pick selected items from Aldi, I mean a German company that does not stock Sauerkraut? We have to buy that from Woolworths who stock some items that we can't buy at Coles as well.

That is because they usually only stock quality items.😋

I actually don't find all that many Aldi items good quality, but I must be in the minority though as it is always busy in our local store. I agree some of the cheeses are great and we do buy their milk if going past and in need of it.  Some of their chocolate I occasionally buy is good too. 

Leigh