When is the best time of year to cruise to Alaska?

scouse mouse

We would love to do a cruise to Alaska, but being Brits have no idea when the best time of year would be. Could any of our cruise critic friends help?

Any replies much appreciated.

May and September usually have the lowest fares and will have fewer children. From what I have experienced with British weather in July, May and September will be about the same. For the warmest weather in Alaska I would go in July or August. Pack rain gear no matter what month you go.

Alaska is awesome but expensive so I think it is best to get the most out of a visit there. Once you have been there you will want to go back so I also would highly recommend doing the land tour if that is possible for you. The longer the land tour the better.

Also, if saving even a few hundred dollars more, you can also go the beginning and middle of June.

The weather is key here so that you don't miss the glacier cruising day, etc. Weather wise I believe the very end of June and into July has the best possibility of weather, but it is always so unpredictable.

Definitely, if you can, add the land cruise portion if you can. Either way, you will fall in love with the Alaskan itinerary!

Pooh

We've been to Alaska twice both times during the first half of August. First time the weather was sunny the entire time and the second time there were a couple days with light rain. Both times we took tours where we saw whales bubble feeding and both time we saw the salmon run. My in-laws just went there in the first half of this past July. They had a great time and saw plenty of whales but didn't see any bubble feeding and the salmon weren't running when they were there. I'm not sure if this is true but we had heard it was more likely that we would see these two things at the end of July or beginning of August and that's why we chose to go when we did. So it worked for us but others on this forum can probably tell you if this timing is true or if we just got lucky.

We usually prefer the beginning of Sept as the pricing drops and we've had very good luck with the weather during this time of the year. We went at the end of Sept once and even though I can honestly say that is was one of the best trips ever, we had some horrendous weather. So, maybe not the best for everyone but we sure did have a great time. We've gone once in mid- into late- August and that was fabulous. We've also been a couple of times in May, once in early May and had great weather and once in mid- into late- May and the weather was so so. It is really a bit of a crap shoot. Overall, we've had really good luck and usually choose our itinerary based on price vs the most popular months. We also choose to cruise when the kiddos are in school ... thus, mostly Sept and May for us when cruising Alaska. We've never been disappointed!

Having gone to Alsaka 4 times and going again on Sept 10th, I would definitely go in august or May...we went twice in May and twice in August and all times had gorgeous weather. We even got a sun burn in Ketchikan where it rains all the time. ( August )

the weather is so unpredictable one never knows - going in mid Sept will be a first for us - predicted to be rainy but maybe our luck will hold and it will be nice. It is an amazingly beautiful place.

eclue:cool:

We chose a cruise early in the season, so that we would feel like we saw 'Alaska' with snow still on the majestic mountains, etc..

It was the right choice for us!!! Stunning.

It had been a Spring with record breaking temperatures. So, I am quite sure that didn't last for long.

I had seen videos of Summer visits with MUCH less snow.

People who have a priority on seeing Alaskan bears choose to travel late Summer, when the bears come out to feed during the Salmon Run.

I think that the very very short days and weather at the very end of the cruising season would not be recommended by most???

We thought that we would be cruising during a more 'dry' time.

But, due to the coastal marine climate, it rained EVERYDAY along the Alaskan coast.

We saw sunshine when we drove inland, over the mountains, to Emerald Lake, from Skagway.

It rains, a LOT!

And when at the Glaciers, it will be very cool/cold.

Pack layers... Many layers!

We would love to do a cruise to Alaska, but being Brits have no idea when the best time of year would be. Could any of our cruise critic friends help?

We did a 7 day land followed by a 7 day cruise to Alaska in May 2008 . I had researched everything and my conclusion was that May would be the best month and it was.

I've done 2 Alaska cruises, both in September

Once it was the last Alaska cruise towards the end of the month.........it was 70-75 degrees the entire cruise (this was RT Seattle)

last year I went mid September (there was another cruise after us) did Fairbanks (land) to Anchorage then cruised from anchorage to vancouver...........never had a day over 40

don't plan a trip around the weather, plan it on what you want to see

June is historically the "driest" month for the panhandle area of Alaska - less chance of getting rained on, or having your flight-seeing tour cancelled. But then rain is always a distinct possibility, especially in the panhandle area.

We had fantastic weather once during the last week of June, twice when we went the first and second week of July, and not so great weather during the last week of August. Never know what you're gonna get.

We have been to Alaska three times. Once in September when we had absolutely beautiful weather. Once in June when we also had absolutely beautiful weather. Once in August and we got rained on over and over. Weather is fickle. That's why I said the best time to go is any time you can.

My husband and I did a combination cruise/rv vacation to Alaska in June. We timed it so that we were able to enjoy the summer solstice while there. It never got fully dark while we were at Denali. It was still twighlight at 2 a.m. There was also a summer solstice festival in Anchorage.

I have been on 3 Alaskan cruises, all the end of May or very early June. Have had spectacular weather on all 3. Sunny and warm, not one day of rain.

For the best buy on souvenirs, go on one of the last cruises of the season and you will get bargain basement prices!

Early and late season cruises also have the best fares and very few of those darling little rug rats. ;)

Cold vs warm vs wet vs dry vs wildlife vs fireworks vs price

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running. Some like these months as you can do back 2 back cruise getting to/from Alaska.
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer. Ice in some years can go into July! In 2016.... it was mid-August before ships went to Tracy Arm.
  • May has cherry blossoms in some ports
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities with bears and salmon
  • August starts to get statistically wet.... with storms more likely in September to fill the Ketchikan rain gauge
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher. Check out the climate chart on this page... http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/juneau/alaska/united-states/usak0116
  • some ports offer seasonal opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion on those popular days.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!
  • http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2667

We have been the first week of June which was really great at the start of the tourist season so the crowds were not that bad. Downside was that some things were not available yet. We went the first week of September and it was cold plus we got the idea that they were starting to shut down the season so no more. Several weeks ago we went to AK with our DGD who is in school. The weather was great although we were told the prior week the weather was bad (per CC posts) so you just never know. The down side of that cruise was over 200 kids aboard and they were running all over the ship in groups. If you go when the young ones are out on summer break, expect this. Our next trip I think we will opt for the first week of June with the slightly cheaper fare and less kids.

I am the one who mentioned the snowy scenery....

We went at at the end of May.... NOT the first cruises of the season.

Light jackets might have been something that some people wanted at most ports...

Out on the water, underway with the wind... And actually AT the glaciers... that was the only time that it was. like, chilly or what some would call cold.

Like you will hear over and over... When cruising Alaska, pack layers!

Happy planning!

We have cruised Alaska 4 times: twice in May, once in June and once in Sept. Our preference is May when the extent of snow, etc. is greatest around Glacier Bay--much more scenic than in Sept. when there was virtually no snow around Glacier Bay's glaciers (mostly muddy instead). The weather was fine in May and June (i.e. lots of sun); Sept. was very dreary the whole week. May is also usually cheaper because it's before the "season" starts. Note: there was also some snow on Mt. Roberts in May 2014 on our last visit. Made for some messy pathways, but it was a gorgeous day up there--just be sure to have appropriate footwear. Enjoy!

I would go in May. We have cruised to Alaska twice. The first time was the very first Alaskan cruise for the season on the Diamond Princess, the weather was fantastic. With going at this time of the year there was still snow on the mountains, in fact, they had to remove snow from the train tracks for us to ride the White Pass in Skagway. The second time the weather was about the same but the scenery wasn' the same.

We have done Alaska a number of times and our preference in for late May and early June. We have generally had lovely weather then. We did a 2 week cruise in early September, and sailed in an absolute fog back, could not see more than 2 ft. off the balcony railing, for the entire cruise. This is not an exaggeration, and I felt very bad for those passengers that were on the cruise of a lifetime to Alaska. Luckily for us, we had been there before and knew we would be back again.

The fog in September made some sense to me, as by that time, the end of the summer, the water temp absolutely has the opportunity to exceed the air temp and cause fog...that lingers.