Why do Cruise Lines sail during hurricane season

mainmast

We are from the UK and after reading all about the uncertainty of cruises sailing this weekend I can understand your concerns. I myself would not like to be 'left in the dark'. I understand no body know's what is the best approach and serious decisions have to be made. This is not something new and a 'one off' , this time of year is hurricane season. Would it be better 'all round' to avoid itinaries for the carribbean and put more ships in Europe to avoid this type of chaos.

As long as people book. They will stay. Not everybody can afford to fly to Europe. And these cruises are usually cheaper ( because of the uncertainty). Normally, it hasn't been this bad.

But I admit that 2017 will go down in history.

ps - I am flying out in a few hrs to do the British Isles cruise out of Southampton. But had I booked the Caribbean this week, I would be staying home.

Edited by CGinMTL
add ps

Out of this hurricane season there have been two storms that have (or will) impact cruises over the course of a few weeks out of the 5 month hurricane season. I don't think any company is willing to forego 5 months worth of profits for a few weeks of chaos (that may not happen to begin with).

I think there were only 3 or 4 cruises cancelled due to Harvey. It is too early to guess how many, if any, will be canceled due to Irma. This is a bad year for these storms.

Remember, if the ship sails, the cruise line gets their money. Passengers who can't get to the ship are out of luck unless they have insurance

For those of us willing to gamble....pricing for Sept and Oct cruises are really good! My husband and I have cruised every September since 2010. Had one rough night in 2010 which happened to be the first night of our very first cruise. We were following behind a storm as she headed up the Atlantic coast. We didn't know any better, we thought it was normal to "rock and roll' like that.

In 2016 we thought surely our route would be changed by Julio/Javier (? not sure on the name). It ended up being the calmest seas we have ever encountered. It was quite eerie how calm it was. Now, this year we are scheduled for Oasis on Sept 17 and have no worries. As long as we can drive into port and get on the ship, we do not care where they take us! No cooking or cleaning for a week! Food and entertainment included! :cool:

Not every embarkation port is impacted by every storm - and when a port is impacted, it is usually for a day or two; and for the remaining. 184 days of hurricane season it is likely to be business as usual.

Not every sailing area is impacted by a given storm - the southern and western Caribbean have not been impacted by Irma. Bermuda might be impacted , but only if other areas are left alone.

Yes, tropical storms are disruptive - but the cruise industry seems able to adjust - particularly because many of their ships are elsewhere for much of the season: Alaska, the Mediterranean and Northern Europe.

For those of us willing to gamble....pricing for Sept and Oct cruises are really good! My husband and I have cruised every September since 2010. Had one rough night in 2010 which happened to be the first night of our very first cruise. We were following behind a storm as she headed up the Atlantic coast. We didn't know any better, we thought it was normal to "rock and roll' like that.

In 2016 we thought surely our route would be changed by Julio/Javier (? not sure on the name). It ended up being the calmest seas we have ever encountered. It was quite eerie how calm it was. Now, this year we are scheduled for Oasis on Sept 17 and have no worries. As long as we can drive into port and get on the ship, we do not care where they take us! No cooking or cleaning for a week! Food and entertainment included! :cool:

Amen to that sister!!! That's a true cruiser!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What ports will we visit?

Either the Mexican Riviera or better yet north from San Pedro to San Francisco..it's worked for RCI before and continues to work for other cruiseline's.

Also how nice would it be for some long round trips from San Pedro to Hawaii.

Not every embarkation port is impacted by every storm - and when a port is impacted, it is usually for a day or two; and for the remaining. 184 days of hurricane season it is likely to be business as usual.

This. It's like asking, "Why do airlines fly in winter?"

Why do cruise lines sail during hurricane season?

Why do people voluntarily buy cruises during hurricane season?

Why do people live in areas that are prone to hurricanes?

Why do people live in places that are prone to earthquakes?

Why do people build houses on flood plains?

Why do people who cannot swim choose to live on an island?

Why do people continue to smoke cigarettes, knowing that it will probably kill them?

Why do Fools Fall in Love? :D

Either the Mexican Riviera or better yet north from San Pedro to San Francisco..it's worked for RCI before and continues to work for other cruiseline's. Also how nice would it be for some long round trips from San Pedro to Hawaii.
If you mean San Pedro CA to San Francisco CA or San Pedro CA to Honolulu HI then as things are now Royal Caribbean offering either would violate PVSA. San Pedro to Vancouver would work, and San Pedro to Ensenada would work.

So being new to this hurricane situation, how soon do we find out whether our cruise itinerary is changed? We specifically booked a cruise for Turks and Caicos. If we can't go, we might consider cancelling. Will we get a notification for the cruise line or our travel agent about any changes, and when can we expect it? We don't cruise for two months but I hear some places will not be near up and running for many months.

So being new to this hurricane situation, how soon do we find out whether our cruise itinerary is changed?
There is no definitive answer because things could change midway through your cruise. In the past we have woken up on a cruise to find that the next day we weren't going where we were originally headed, and so we had to scramble to figure out what we were going to do instead of our scheduled excursion.

If you mean San Pedro CA to San Francisco CA or San Pedro CA to Honolulu HI then as things are now Royal Caribbean offering either would violate PVSA. San Pedro to Vancouver would work, and San Pedro to Ensenada would work.

"San Pedro to San Francisco" doesn't necessarily mean a one-way itinerary. As long as it's a closed loop cruise (heading back to San Pedro after San Francisco), Ensenada is close enough for a short port call to make it legal.

As long as it's a closed loop cruise (heading back to San Pedro after San Francisco), Ensenada is close enough for a short port call to make it legal.
That's why I was explicit in my reply, saying, "If you mean San Pedro to San Francisco" and so not referring to some other itinerary that included both, as Ashland's original comment could have been interpreted.

Out of this hurricane season there have been two storms that have (or will) impact cruises over the course of a few weeks out of the 5 month hurricane season. I don't think any company is willing to forego 5 months worth of profits for a few weeks of chaos (that may not happen to begin with).

Just a quick look at 2018's schedule - there are well over 500 Caribbean sailings offered: Carnival (15 or so ships) , Celebrity (4 ships), NCL (over 10 ships), and Royal Caribbean (7 ships) - not to mention smaller players - during hurricane season. The Caribbean in hurricane season is a huge segment of the cruise industry's market.

The lines have a huge investment, and the market appears to have a huge hunger, in that market that time of year. Both sides seem willing to accept the challenges.

Both sides seem willing to accept the challenges.
I suppose an argument could be made that the consumers side includes many whose willingness is contingent on their willful and consistent denial that there is a cruise contract with terms and conditions (and not just about this) that they're agreeing to when they purchase a cruise. At what point is it the cruise line's responsibility to keep the consumers from purchasing things for which they doggedly refuse to perform due diligence? (I am very confident that the answer is, "never.")